New engines for the 58P

Nothing better than a hangar full of Beech twins. When will the Model 18 be delivered?:D

The only reason I didn't have four aircraft in that hangar at once, is I could only fly three at the time (g). Sunny Beech!

Best,

Dave

Nice Dave. Is the left engine burning more a characteristic trait of all 58Ps, or just yours? Any idea why? Because of the fuselage to the right vs. clear air?

The right engine on the Duke burns more, too. A/C compressor is on that side...only thing I can figure...

There are few thing time, money and a good mechanic can't resolve! :D

Enjoy!

Nice thing about Bill and Powermasters engine is he never wavered on his warranty. Fixed the bad cylinder after the install and came right down for the induction leak fix. Nothing like A service for A pricing; that's not always the case.

Best,

Dave

Nice Dave. Is the left engine burning more a characteristic trait of all 58Ps, or just yours? Any idea why? Because of the fuselage to the right vs. clear air?

I'm just a meticulous pilot, Troy. I'm sure there's something unique about the 58P engine install that explains it, but it's beyond me (g).

Best,

Dave

It's not uncommon for two engines to be slightly different as far as fuel controls or some other characteristic. There's reasonably significant engine to engine variation in the piston world. My guess is the previous left engine and previous right engine were reinstalled in their representative locations, and the same fuel systems rebuilt. So it makes sense that whatever variation existed there still exists.

I probably didn't explain the variation well. In cruise flight, after bringing all cylinders LOP, I slowly enrichen until I get the hottest cylinder to 380 CHT when maximizing cruise airspeed. Number 3 is hottest on each engine in cruise. I can normally get the left to say 16.3 if I get the right to 16.0 with number three close or at 380. Some variation here as cowl flap setting can affect cooling and I tweek those so their partially open trading air flow for drag. It may be an anomaly in the fuel flow reading in the JPI. I haven't refueled the plane and measured how much was put in each tank since the new engines were installed and compared fuel burn on each side. But, on the previous engines, I'd usually burn slightly more on the left side. I have compared what the Shadin said in total to what the FBO puts in when topped off and it's very close. Just haven't done a side-by-side refueling comparison yet.

Best,

Dave

On both the 310 and the Aztec, the left engine runs warmer. I believe it has to do with airflow of the right-hand rotation prop, but I've never flown a plane with counterrotating props and an engine monitor. In the Aztec, I would run the cowl flaps half open. Minimal airspeed loss and significant CHT reduction. I ran the Aztec how Dave describes the P-Baron, but the 310 I'll run at 30-50 LOP, or lean to 380F if it's warm out. In cold weather I'll get CHTs below 350F - cooler is better.

I'd like to improve cooling on the 310 more. :)

A gentleman contacted me from my posts on Beechlist (I believe) and expressed interest in our plane. Wasn't familiar with the 58P, but flies an Express Jet for a living and wanted a pressurized twin. One thing lead to another and we agreed on pricing. Sale was delayed a bit as he wanted to turn his pre-buy into an annual and have our shop do it. We agreed and a couple things needed to be fixed that were airworthiness issues we agreed to have done. Did the post annual flight, fixed another thing and he closed today. So, only the King Air now.

Best,

Dave

Sad to see her go? My flying buddy who you met when we had lunch commented afterwards that you seemed to have more affection for the Baron than the King Air.

A gentleman contacted me from my posts on Beechlist (I believe) and expressed interest in our plane. Wasn't familiar with the 58P, but flies an Express Jet for a living and wanted a pressurized twin. One thing lead to another and we agreed on pricing. Sale was delayed a bit as he wanted to turn his pre-buy into an annual and have our shop do it. We agreed and a couple things needed to be fixed that were airworthiness issues we agreed to have done. Did the post annual flight, fixed another thing and he closed today. So, only the King Air now.

Best,

Dave

Congrats, Dave. I hope you are happy with the outcome!

Congratulations, Dave! I knew it would be an easy sell, especially given what good care you took of the plane and having such good new engines on it. The new owner is getting a wonderful plane.

I second Mari's question - how do you feel about seeing it go? I had a similar experience a few months ago when the Aztec found a new home. While I was glad for the experience to be finished, I was just a little sad when I shut the engines down for the last time.

Congrats! It's amazing how fast these "unsellable" twins sell if they are nice! :D
Having just the King Air won't be all that bad.;)

Best,

Dave

Best,

Dave
So the deal finally went through after all, glad it worked out. And BTW, thanks for the time with you in the C90 Sim last week. Came home last Sunday and landed just before the rain/snow/sleet/freezing rain moved in. Wx had been miserable all week, wish I was still in Florida. Given the significant icing here and in southern MN last week I suspect I'd still be "stuck" in the south had I left a day later.

Sad to see her go? My flying buddy who you met when we had lunch commented afterwards that you seemed to have more affection for the Baron than the King Air.

The baron was our magic carpet since 2005. It took my nieces and I to Mexico, Bahamas, Kiawa Island, and many other wonderful places. Never missed a trip when I had it; although, one or two day delay a time or two. Very capable piston. We just needed more room. The A-36 was the same way when we sold it.

The KA, which my nieces and granddaughters refer to as Princess Air, has a lot to live up to. Still, departing from BJC this winter with snow so thick tower asked us to tell them when we were on the end of the runway and tops at FL230 with some ice in the climb, was KA flying (g). This is a wonderful plane with excellent manners.

Best,

Dave

Congratulations, Dave! I knew it would be an easy sell, especially given what good care you took of the plane and having such good new engines on it. The new owner is getting a wonderful plane.

I second Mari's question - how do you feel about seeing it go? I had a similar experience a few months ago when the Aztec found a new home. While I was glad for the experience to be finished, I was just a little sad when I shut the engines down for the last time.

Thanks Ted. Tim got an excellent bird. Wish him the very best with it.

Dave

Congrats! It's amazing how fast these "unsellable" twins sell if they are nice! :D
Having just the King Air won't be all that bad.;)

The buyer called us when it really wasn't on the market. We were still working out some bugs with the new engines. We put a realistic price on it for someone that knew what Cunningham engines are and wanted what I call a 'buy and fly' rather than a plane that would have to have work done in the near future.

Best,

Dave

So the deal finally went through after all, glad it worked out. And BTW, thanks for the time with you in the C90 Sim last week. Came home last Sunday and landed just before the rain/snow/sleet/freezing rain moved in. Wx had been miserable all week, wish I was still in Florida. Given the significant icing here and in southern MN last week I suspect I'd still be "stuck" in the south had I left a day later.

Great to see you. Uhhh, why were the ceilings and vis changed in my sim after you left? Hard to do circle to lands with 100 foot ceilings with fog at night.
Glad your back safely. Hard to believe how bad that stuff up there was. 72 here today.

Best,

Dave

Back