New DFW Area RNAV STARS- OOPS!

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
So, I figured that, with all these newly-published STARs, I should become familiar and, where appropriate, consider filing them.

So I'm taking a look at the JFRYE One Arrival (RNAV), and I could not help but notice that, either the chart-builders are getting a little silly, or the recent earthquakes have been worse than I realized.

Take a look at the airfield depicted around the end of the STAR; those of you are familiar will be very surprised to find that Addison Is south of Dallas Love Field; and Denton Municipal Airport has been moved all the way from Denton County, to Southeastern Dallas County. In fact, based upon where they placed Denton, I believe they must've built a new island right in the middle of Lake Ray Hubbard.

I Find Myself Wondering: How Does This Happen?

Attachments

• JFRYE1 Arrival (RNAV) - 03 2015.PDF
    236.3 KB · Views: 76
When I do something like that I very quickly write NTS for not to scale in one of the corners...

Hey it does have this note in the margin:

NOTE: Chart not to scale.

Yeah, but it's not a scale issue, it's a don't even have them in the right location issue. It would be like putting Honduras north of Canada on a map.

Wow. Isn't that nice?!

Spike, we shoulda banned that oil field fracking long ago! Won't be too long before Denton drifts all the way into East Texas.

We call that in the carto biz, nonisomorphic scaling :)

Did it so they could fit the names of all the airports served by the STAR on there. As someone said, "Chart not to scale", including the location of the airports. Where they are on this STAR is irrelevant because you are going to JFRYE then on a 160 track and then getting vectored to your specific airport.

"Jerry, just drag all those airports over there to the south east, and we'll sort them out later."

"OK, but don't let me forget to orient them before we publish."

"Yup, will do. Hey Jerry, are you coming to the Mills wedding reception tonight? I'm gonna get sooooooo wasted."

"Oh, yeah, should be a hoot."

"We'll move those airports around tomorrow."

"Yeah, we'll do it tomorrow, lets head out."

Did it so they could fit the names of all the airports served by the STAR on there. As someone said, "Chart not to scale", including the location of the airports. Where they are on this STAR is irrelevant because you are going to JFRYE then on a 160 track and then getting vectored to your specific airport.

While we realize "not to scale" applies, we're mostly about the humor that DTO got misplaced in a major way.

That's funny.

I'm heading into KADS in a couple weeks. I think I'm gonna file HYDES.GREGS7 - the GREGS STAR at least has the airports in the right relative locations AFAI have checked. :D

Yeah, but it's not a scale issue, it's a don't even have them in the right location issue. It would be like putting Honduras north of Canada on a map.

Sure it's a scale issue, it's just inconsistent scaling - yousegottaproblemwiddat?

Spike... My pilot dad pointed out another error....

When did KADS drift southward of KDAL?

Back