New Cloud-Buster

MSmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Smith
I passed my instrument checkride yesterday!

It was a tough flight - winds in the area were 12G19 up to 15G28. At 3000 it was 35-40 knots from 270. I had to fly the PNE ILS 24 which was the longest ILS in my life with that headwind.

Only two stupid mistakes - I forgot the GUMPS check on one approach and on another I set the wrong frequency for the ILS but caught it while identifying the code.

Congratulations!!! Probably one of the toughest check rides around, but very satisfying when done.

You just increased the utilization of your plane about 100%.

Congratulations, Mark!

Last edited by a moderator:
good work! IR was one of my toughest as well.

Good Job Mark. I love the ILS 24 at PNE I fly that thing in my sleep. Who was your DPE?

NIce job, Mark! Congratulations. Not only is it the hardest rating, it's also the most useful.

Congratulations Mark! It'll serve you well. Just be sure to remain not just current, but proficient! Now if I could only do as I say! :)

Congrats!!!

I'm glad I can finally say "welcome to the club!" :D Unfortunately, much like me, you got it at a time of the year when it's hard to put it to use immediately, but it'll come in handy soon enough!

Good job!

-Chris

Congrats, Mark, IR is a lot of work, enjoy your accomplishment.

It was a tough flight - winds in the area were 12G19 up to 15G28. At 3000 it was 35-40 knots from 270. I had to fly the PNE ILS 24 which was the longest ILS in my life with that headwind.
A lot of folks would probably have postponed the flight portion in such conditions -- you certainly took on a challenge.

Only two stupid mistakes - I forgot the GUMPS check on one approach and on another I set the wrong frequency for the ILS but caught it while identifying the code.
Now y'all know why we instrument instructors beat on that "tune and identify" so hard. And more generally for practical tests, it's no foul if you catch your own mistake before it causes a problem, so keep doing your cross-checks.

Yeah, I just went back to get the METARs for my flight.

Takeoff at VAY: 260 16G26
Approach at PNE: 280 13G20
Landing at VAY: 260 13G23

While I had the option to postpone, this examiner pretty much wants to go in any conditions that HE is comfortable in. Given that he was in the plane (and given that high winds might give me a break on holding altitude or heading) it seemed that going was the way to go.

He chose to do the landing at the end because it's not really what an instrument checkride is testing and as an airline pilot I think he LIKES to do a little plane landing once in a while. I was just as happy - we'd done unusual attitudes last and I was still a bit queasy.

While I had the option to postpone, this examiner pretty much wants to go in any conditions that HE is comfortable in.
That's not his decision to make.

Given that he was in the plane (and given that high winds might give me a break on holding altitude or heading) it seemed that going was the way to go.
Your go/no-go decision should be made based on you flying either solo or with a non-flying passenger, not relying on the examiner to handle it if you are overcome by conditions.

He chose to do the landing at the end because it's not really what an instrument checkride is testing and as an airline pilot I think he LIKES to do a little plane landing once in a while. I was just as happy - we'd done unusual attitudes last and I was still a bit queasy.
This examiner is operating out of a different handbook than the one the FAA gave him, but if you're both comfortable with it, so be it.

To be honest, I would have been comfortable making the landing. It was right at the edge of my personal limits, but still doable. As for the rest of the IFR stuff, the winds didn't bother me much. We get strong winds and moderate turbulence all the time around here.

And that'll be my final word - this post was intended to be a celebration and not an opportunity to nit-pick.

I passed my instrument checkride yesterday!

Congrats Mark on a job well done in some pretty tough conditions. I too did mine in the conditions you describe, I think the DE was impressed when I nailed that ADF approach with a 30 knot direct crosswind. Nothing like a challenge to bring out the best in us!!

congrats mark....
just wondering..what airport are you based out of??
I sometimes fly out of robbinsville...
i think thats close to hamilton..isnt it??

Ant

congrats mark....
just wondering..what airport are you based out of??
I sometimes fly out of robbinsville...
i think thats close to hamilton..isnt it??

Ant

I'm based out of VAY - South Jersey in Mt. Holly. My club used to have a plane based at Robbinsville and I've flown from there a few times. It sure is closer to home!

Back