New CHT/EGT guage

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I am wanting to add a combo CHT/EGT gauge to my PA 28-151. The debate is do I go for the analogue or the digital? Thoughts?

For Digital I like the JPI Classic Scanner. Simple to see and use. It won't tell you what your left lower cylinder fin is doing every .2 seconds and you can't download reams of data to an A&P on another planet thru the internet but for ease of use and painless installation (TSO and STCed for your airplane) It's hard to beat IMPO. In auto mode it displays CHT's for 4-3-2 and 1 then displays EGT 4-3-2- and 1. In manual mode you toggle to what you want to look at and it stays on that display until you go back to auto. Press and hold the dimmer button for buss voltage.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/aircraft/engine-instruments/jpi-classic-scanner.html

For the non-digital I've put in both the Westach and the Alcor gauges/probes/rotory switches and they work OK but can be hard to see and didn't seem as accurate due to the small distance between hash markings. Some A&P/IA's get heartburn about putting Westach stuff (not all the switches, etc. are "blessed" by the FAA) in a certabird so a discussion with your mechanic might be prudent should you decide to go this way.

Hope this helps;
Chris

What's your budget? If you can afford a digital unit like a JPI analyzer, you won't regret having spent the money. If you can't, then go for the most analog you can. Just make sure you get something with probes on all cylinders even if it involves only a single gauge and a rotary selector switch -- anything less just provides a false sense of security.

I'd look for a deal on a used JPI EDM-700 since many are getting pulled for upgrades. Best bang-for-the-buck item in any panel. Probe installation isn't difficult, just tedious, so you can assist with that task if you wish to further reduce costs.

Back