New ATP requirements...

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
Due to the new simulator requirements, I've heard that the cost of obtaining an ATP will shortly be increasing by about $15-$20k.

Does anyone think we'll possibly start seeing airlines hiring someone with > 1500 hrs and a Commercial, then putting them through the ATP as part of their initial training?

It's hard to see struggling career pilots around the 1500 hr mark being able/willing to come up with the cash...

Just thinking...

I doubt the majors would go the expense , you might get the charter cos to pay some of the cost, as they already send there crews to recurrent training.

I'm sure those currently working for the airlines will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think one could complete initial airline training even for the right seat without meeting all the requirements of 61.156. So, I don't see any additional expense other than an ATP ride in the sim at the end of SIC training. Whether they will do that or not will depend on whether or not they can find enough qualified people who already have the ATP, and my guess is they will.

Last edited:
I thought an ATP was now required for the FO as well..?

Back