New AOPA Fight Planner.

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I used the AOPA Flight Planner for several years to plan routes and make my NavLogs. I'm not sure how long it has been that way, but it seems to be gone now. Clicking that link on the AOPA website now brings up a planner called FlyQ for web.

Has anybody had luck with this new planner?

It doesn't work for me. Not on a windows or a Mac computer. To start with, the "layer" that's supposed to show a chart doesn't show one, or it never loads. So if I see any route, it is depicted as a line on a blank white page, no matter what I try. Not sure what the problem is.

Oh man, that sucks. Did they PO Jeppesen too? That flight planner was one of the 2 reasons I renewed my membership. It's terrain feature was great when I was flying in MT. Since moving to Georgia, I've found Foreflight to be sufficient, but I still like the AOPA one.

I just spent more time trying to get the FlyQ one to work than I'm willing to, no thanks.

I would say it sucks. But that's giving it too much credit.

Not working, a guy on the redboard said Jeppesen pulled the plug on them.

Oh well. I wasn't a big fan of the Jepp version, but that was mainly because it was online and difficult to use with a lousy internet connection, which I normally have.

That was my goto planner too, because it was simple and quick. I tried the newer one and didn't like it. Sad to hear the old one is gone. Might have to go back to Golden Eagle.

Sure, it asks me for all kinds of personal information, but at least it doesn't work...

Do any other tools give the profile view of terrain along your route of flight?

Sure, it asks me for all kinds of personal information, but at least it doesn't work...

Do any other tools give the profile view of terrain along your route of flight?

Seattle Avionics had the profile view. They don't have a Mac version though. :no:

I wonder if their FlyQ EFB deal with Seattle Avionics ticked off Jepp?

I am pretty sure it is Seatle, duh didn't read that right.

Golden eagle also has a profile view and is still free I think.

Since somebody mentioned the Red Board I looked. It looks like the old planner, which I liked, vanished about March 6, and nobody has a kind word to say about the new one, to say the least.

Since somebody mentioned the Red Board I looked. It looks like the old planner, which I liked, vanished about March 6, and nobody has a kind word to say about the new one, to say the least.

I am one of those that have less than a kind word.
I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with my computer or network because it won't display any of the maps. It draws a line with Point A and Point B and acts like it is trying to load more.

Any other suggestions for an on line planner?

Any other suggestions for an on line planner?

I'm now trying out fltplan.com

Like the old AOPA planner, it will allow you to save your aircraft performance and then type in a route and generate a NavLog that you can print.

Unlike the old AOPA planner, it lacks a little bit on fine touches -- the interface looks outdated, it doesn't allow graphical editing of the route, and the printed NavLog isn't as nice -- it doesn't have columns so that when you arrive at waypoints you can note your actual time of arrival and your updated ETA, and it doesn't have the morse-code symbols of any VORs you specified along your route.

Most importantly, unlike the new AOPA planner, it works.

It's also free.

For quick and dirty skyvector.com works for evaluating prospective flights.

I'm now trying out fltplan.com

Like the old AOPA planner, it will allow you to save your aircraft performance and then type in a route and generate a NavLog that you can print.

Unlike the old AOPA planner, it lacks a little bit on fine touches -- the interface looks outdated, it doesn't allow graphical editing of the route, and the printed NavLog isn't as nice -- it doesn't have columns so that when you arrive at waypoints you can note your actual time of arrival and your updated ETA, and it doesn't have the morse-code symbols of any VORs you specified along your route.

Most importantly, unlike the new AOPA planner, it works.

It's also free.
If you want free and don't want to pay for something like ForeFlight, then you can use Skyvector for the graphic route editing and then plug the route string into Fltplan.com for the better track data sheet.

It works for me today. I dropped them a note requesting that they restore the profile view.

It works for me today. I dropped them a note requesting that they restore the profile view.

For me it's still broken. I tried FlyQ just 15 minutes after your post. The link is now a page full of apologies, followed by a link. I clicked the link that should take me to FlyQ and this is where it led me:

Page Not Found

The page you requested was not found.
Please use the links below to help find the information you are looking for:

Bummer. Just read this and while the Jepp version had its problems, FlyQ isn't a reasonable replacement for it.

Meanwhile, I get a lovely monthly letter from them talking about all my *wonderful* member benefits, which usually amounts to nothing more than another advertisement for Yodice's kid and Legal Services.

Ugh. Here's hoping whoever replaces Fuller can clean house... Not that it sounds like they have much in the way of assets to do anything useful... But hey, I can dream...

Back