New aircraft and website!

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
So I was finally able to replace my old problem Taylorcraft with another bird that appears to be good for sport pilots.

I'm in the process of having a few last things done to here for airworthiness, but she just got out of annual and I hope to be flying her with students shortly.

The new website is: www.TexasSportPilot.net

I'm nearly done with the website, but would actually be interested in what different things the audience here feel should be done to make the website more user-friendly.

Ryan

I'm getting errors on most pages, just below the picture of the T-craft. That said, the layout of the site is very logical. I like that.

Interesting that your rate for solo flight is $20 more than for dual. I assume that's because of insurance?

Was this airplane owned/restored by a guy named Mark J? It looks like one that I helped on just a little before it left for Texas a decade or so ago.

Same errors here to.
On ipad mini. Os7

Ok, that error seemed to be linked to the Google Calendar plugin I hope to eventually incorporate. Turned it off, so hopefully that error won't keep happening.

Rates - yeah, because of insurance, and because I'll likely be paying for a way to let people rent it when I'm busy - so that means I'll probably have to pay someone to watch the aircraft for me.

Ryan

The links are working for me since you disabled the Google calendar.

This paragraph on this page http://www.texassportpilot.net/index.php/training-packages has just a couple of typos:

*ALL Packages are based on 30 hours of flight training and the build in ground school costs. Any additional time will be charged at published rates for aircraft and instructor time. Package costs reflect the actual costs but do NOT include a guaranteed price on additional ground school materials or FAA Tests.

Also, the search field needs to be re-sized. Otherwise very readable and well organized.

So I was finally able to replace my old problem Taylorcraft with another bird that appears to be good for sport pilots.

I'm in the process of having a few last things done to here for airworthiness, but she just got out of annual and I hope to be flying her with students shortly.

The new website is: www.TexasSportPilot.net

I'm nearly done with the website, but would actually be interested in what different things the audience here feel should be done to make the website more user-friendly.

Ryan

Reasonably user friendly to me, only thing that struck me since it comes before the aircraft/prices page was this:
Instructor time (20x50 dual and 15x50 hours ground) =$1750
I would modify that to:
Instructor time ($50x20 hours dual flight and $50x15 hours ground instruction) =$1750

You might figure out your W&B with the fuel you typically carry and publish the maximum acceptable weight for your prospective student pilots.

Hey Ryan, I'd be interested in getting my tail wheel endorsement in that aircraft if it will be for rent at some point. It looks like it will be for your students only, but I thought I'd ask. :)

You might figure out your W&B with the fuel you typically carry and publish the maximum acceptable weight for your prospective student pilots.
That's coming. If I can keep myself under 150 (so far!), then I can take up to about 230 lbs and still have 1 hour of lesson time with half an hour reserve. Every 12 lbs less means an extra half hour of flight time.

Ryan

Hey Ryan, I'd be interested in getting my tail wheel endorsement in that aircraft if it will be for rent at some point. It looks like it will be for your students only, but I thought I'd ask. :)
It's not for students only, but it looks like my insurance is going to require 15 hours time in type to solo. I'm not sure how many renters are going to want to do that. I might have to make some sort of reduced rate if you fly when I pick (ie. not peak business hours) to build up to that.

Ryan

Hey Ryan
Are you seeing an increase in LSA training.
I am somewhat considering going for my CFI, but would only want to do LSA (at least that's what I think).
I would get the CFI so a student could continue on to PPL if they wished.
Any thoughts or suggestions

I am only going to use CFI as supplemental income, I have a regular income as opposed to irregular, :lol:

Hey Ryan
Are you seeing an increase in LSA training.
I am somewhat considering going for my CFI, but would only want to do LSA (at least that's what I think).
I would get the CFI so a student could continue on to PPL if they wished.
Any thoughts or suggestions

I am only going to use CFI as supplemental income, I have a regular income as opposed to irregular, :lol:
Not a ton, had more LSA students two years ago, but then we've had issues with aircraft. The Apollo Fox that I'd been using in Boerne went away, so that kind of killed the market for me a bit. They have a new Bristell, but I'm not flying it.

Ryan

It's not for students only, but it looks like my insurance is going to require 15 hours time in type to solo. I'm not sure how many renters are going to want to do that. I might have to make some sort of reduced rate if you fly when I pick (ie. not peak business hours) to build up to that.

Ryan

Sounds good, I'll hit you up when I'm ready. You're in Burnet now right?

I'm getting errors on most pages, just below the picture of the T-craft. That said, the layout of the site is very logical. I like that.

Interesting that your rate for solo flight is $20 more than for dual. I assume that's because of insurance?

Was this airplane owned/restored by a guy named Mark J? It looks like one that I helped on just a little before it left for Texas a decade or so ago.

First thing I was going to say as well, mentally it's not comfortable to pay 20.00 more seemingly for no reason. Even if there is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a couple friends looking at that airplane you had for sale. I am glad after reading your post about problems with it they did not pull the trigger on it.

I had a couple friends looking at that airplane you had for sale. I am glad after reading your post about problems with it they did not pull the trigger on it.

I think the only problem was a paperwork snafu with the FAA, keeping the aircraft out of the light sport category.

Ryan, glad you are trying to make the plane available to rent solo. I think a lot of people shy away from flying tailwheel airplanes because its very difficult to rent one after your endorsement. Same thing with seaplanes.

Yeah, it was a major bummer for me. The plane itself was great / fine, which is why I got this one (same make / model / year) to replace it. The previous one just couldn't have been legally flown by a Sport Pilot.

Ryan

Yeah, it was a major bummer for me. The plane itself was great / fine, which is why I got this one (same make / model / year) to replace it. The previous one just couldn't have been legally flown by a Sport Pilot.
It's a rule that borders on idiocy. I'm dealing with that now when looking at some Champs. There were things that could be done which could -- optionally -- bump the GW up to 1350#. You can have two airplanes sitting side by side, identical in every respect down to the last piece of trim hardware. One legal for Light Sport, one not, just depending on what was written on a 337 in 1952. And no way to correct it -- ever. It's nuts.

It's a rule that borders on idiocy. I'm dealing with that now when looking at some Champs. There were things that could be done which could -- optionally -- bump the GW up to 1350#. You can have two airplanes sitting side by side, identical in every respect down to the last piece of trim hardware. One legal for Light Sport, one not, just depending on what was written on a 337 in 1952. And no way to correct it -- ever. It's nuts.
Exactly. You can only imagine my head-banging last year over this. I took it all the way to TC at the head of the Light Sport division, and they said all I could do was submit for a change of the rules... which I would do, but I don't have the time and resources for it.

Ryan

Its because he likes flying so much that he's willing to discount it by $20 if the renter let him fly along. :goofy:
No... I have the airplane priced about as low as I figure I can get it and break even and I figure I'll have to pay someone closer to the plane to work out the details of solo flights or sometimes make a solo trip to town. It also means I can't make money or a reservation during that time with my aircraft so if someone's going to rent it for half a day I'm not going to be broke. If I had two aircraft to use, it wouldn't be that way.

Ryan

Last edited:
Back