New Active Weather Sources?

Painter1

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike K
Is anybody aware of any plans in the making for a new in-flight active weather app or appliance?

I used a Stratus 2 recently on a flight from South Florida to the Midwest and found the real-time weather on the Ipad very handy.

I thought about getting one, but a Grand is a chunk of change. I can't find anything else that interfaces with ForeFlight and does the job.

Just wondering what is coming down from the skunkworks

I think FF has said that Stratus is the only device they plan to support.

There are other ADSB-in receivers and software packages that are out there. Some use their own display hardware, some work with iPad, some with Android.

Garmin Pilot / GDL39 is one.

Plenty of others. All are on the order of $1000-ish.

you could probably get a first gen Stratus for much less. The newer one has AHRS capability, but if you're a VFR pilot, you don't really need it.

.Plenty of others. All are on the order of $1000-ish.

Correct. Including the ones that play nice with WingX.

And the Freeflight Systems ADS-B In and Out box (just certified as a permanent mount solution for certified aircraft) is a smidge north of $5000.

Then the other popular solution for in cockpit weather is XM Weather being displayed on the various Garmin devices.

We have a Stratus 2 in our club and I like it. Very tight GPS resolution in addition to the traffic and weather service.

Thank you for the help. I just got back to flying after a few years off. I love the Garmin 530 and Foreflight. I spent a lot of years with Low Altitude Enroute Charts and 40 lbs of Jepp binders. This technology is great. Just hate to buy and have something better on the horizon.

Welcome to the world of "it's obsolete when you bought it brand new" also known as iPhones and iPads.

Back