Never trust your XM-based satellite weather

On the other hand, here in the intermountain west it's sometimes a good idea to stay below the clouds when trying to avoid thunderstorms. The bases are usually high, the visibility is good, and the rain shafts are pretty apparent. That's what I used to do when I didn't fly with onboard radar (and XM hadn't been invented).

Dan,

In the NEXRAD world this is not as important when we are talking about convection. Some of the worst turbulence can and does occur outside of any precipitation, but still within the convective cloud. There's a program that will be funded real soon that will use NEXRAD (dual pol) to help identify turbulence within a thunderstorm. Yes, there are locations within even a severe thunderstorm that may have little or no turbulence despite the gradient of precipitation. Once this info gets into the cockpit we'll be able to drive right through that purple cell. :eek:

You first!!

:D

Though as a 496 user, the only in-flight data I have is Stormscope (in a/c so equipped), windshield, and NEXRAD data. All the other weather products that come via XM are helpful but NEXRAD provides hints as to which way to steer clear.

Ugh. So not sweet.

Leave your XM at home. Sferics, Radar, and on TOP eyeball for me.

Ugh. So not sweet.

Leave your XM at home. Sferics, Radar, and on TOP eyeball for me.
Well, AFAIK, only one of those three is an option for us renters if they're not already in the plane. Portable Radar, anyone? So XM, while not perfect, is still a lot better than ONLY the eyeball, at least for us.

Grant, you and Leslie have to FIX that. Life is short, as you were reminded last month. Seize the year!

Well, AFAIK, only one of those three is an option for us renters if they're not already in the plane. Portable Radar, anyone? So XM, while not perfect, is still a lot better than ONLY the eyeball, at least for us.
Even for those of us who own, not everyone can has radar.

I use XM as a general "don't go near here", and for that, it seems to work fine as a supplement to looking out the canopy. I'm not going to push it anything beyond that.

Grant, you and Leslie have to FIX that. Life is short, as you were reminded last month. Seize the year!
True, but there's also the school of thought that the only thing you should go into debt for is your house! (No, if we had only FOLLOWED that school!:no:)

And even if we were to purchase, how about those for whom it isn't an option? They still have the same restriction!

The house should be paid off in about 12 years!:yes:

Back