Never an Easy Day!

kingkontos

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
kingkontos
I'm 20 years old and have hypogonadism. I am prescribed testosterone, all my blood work shows I have low T, I didn't have horrible symptoms before I went on the medicine, since i've been on it (about a month) I've felt great. Not to say I felt horrible before might I add.

Well...

went to go get my medical today and my AME was cool about it just said I need a letter from my endo and he'd submit it...

What I would like to know is, am I grounded? and what does this letter need to say exactly?

to make it better I have to have this letter by monday because of my AME's schedule.

This is a complicated tale. Much longer than you want to post or I want to respond to here....

Suffice it to say that if you went to an AME and were not issued the agency considers you grounded. That is counter to case law, so far, however.

He's going to defer you, which is about a bass ackwards a way to do flight physicals as there is. He should have directed you to get the letter and then come back. Sigh.

This is a complicated tale. Much longer than you want to post or I want to respond to here....

Suffice it to say that if you went to an AME and were not issued the agency considers you grounded. That is counter to case law, so far, however.

He's going to defer you, which is about a bass ackwards a way to do flight physicals as there is. He should have directed you to get the letter and then come back. Sigh.

I mean in a way he directed me to get the letter than come back? he said I have a week to get the letter but due to his schedule he's only in the office monday of next week.... my endo is kind of a dick. I'm not saying that to be immature I'm saying that because he really is.. I've had some mean doctors but whew... he gets the gold medal. what do I need to tell him to put on the letter?

and to add to it.. I don't have to be on the T... it's just nice... I've lived perfectly normal without it. should I just stop the treatment (with doctors advice of course)

I mean in a way he directed me to get the letter than come back? he said I have a week to get the letter but due to his schedule he's only in the office monday of next week.... my endo is kind of a dick. I'm not saying that to be immature I'm saying that because he really is.. I've had some mean doctors but whew... he gets the gold medal. what do I need to tell him to put on the letter?
No he did the exam, e.g, he downloaded your file. The FAA can see that. That put you on the federal gig. You never go on record with any application until you have all your ducks in a row. Now the race between issuance and denial has started.

"Going with what you got (known as a "Rumsfeld" might be necessary at war) starts the clock on the thirty day "We are unable to determine if you are eligible....please send within 30 days form the date on the letter the following stuff......if we don't receive it we will have no choice but to deny your application...."

He (the endocrine) won't write anything for you in that time frame. Dictation turnaround is 24 hours. Tomorrow is Friday. Just ask for a complete copy of your record and take it over to the AME.

actually I might be able to get that from my endo. my appointment with my AME was at 1600 today (thursday) and i'm meeting with the endo at 0700 (friday). I'm gonna laugh if it works out the way I want it to. If not... thirty days eh?

Question for Dr. Bruce:

What the hell does testosterone have to do with getting a third class? Sounds like another stupid rule from the feds.

Question for Dr. Bruce:

What the hell does testosterone have to do with getting a third class? Sounds like another stupid rule from the feds.

They only want macho pilots? :dunno:

(Sorry...couldn't resist!) :D

If FAA medical requirements/regulations applied to automobile drivers there would be an immediate armed revolution in this country.

They only want macho pilots? :dunno:

(Sorry...couldn't resist!) :D

Hmm
My "T" is also very low (extremely low by male standards) and I'm not macho --- but have been licensed/certificated for 50 years, so I'd guess that reason is bogus ....
:redface:

I renewed last year after adding Testim 1% ... my AME yawned ... and issued.

edit - but I'm also long past 20 years old

All they want to do is make sure you won't get Mike Tyson syndrome. It's very simple. Some urolgists just "fill the tank" and dipstick the levels. Brzzzzzp. Remember- the guy had sufficient rage that he BIT OFF Evander Holyfield's ear. Not too good in an airplane.

You have to look at GnRH, which is a pituitary hormone. The level of THAT hormone, tells us what the master gland thinks the level should be.

The usual care in the community is awful. Just awful. "Come regain your zip and vigor. TAKE CHARGE! See Dr. Feelsgood.....!"

FAA is perfectly good with physiologic testosterone replacement. They just want to be sure you're not getting the dipstick method.

Last edited:
All they want to do is make sure you won't get Mike Tyson syndrome. It's very simple. Some urolgists just "fill the tank" and dipstick the levels. Brzzzzzp. Remember- the guy had sufficient rage that he BIT OFF Evander Holyfield's ear. Not too good in an airplane.

Oh come on. I'd pay good money to see that on one of the aviation "reality" shows. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back