Neuropsychological testing for a Special Issuance Medical

U

Unregistered

Part of the process for getting one's FAA medical back after a stroke (and after waiting the 2 years and passing all the medical tests) is taking an extensive battery of neuropsychological and cognitive tests. Has anyone done this? Would like to hear your experiences and also get a rough idea of what all these tests cost (since I am guessing their is no way to get medical insurance to cover these types of tests.)

I went through the process because I had a traumatic brain injury (TBI) from a motorcycle accident and lost the sight in one eye.
The neurologist was not familiar with what the FAA wanted and we had to do more tests.
I don’t remember the cost.
The FAA regional surgeon decided to “do me a favor and not let me fly because of my limited cognitive ability and recently acquired monocular vision.”
We eventually came around to a demonstrated ability medical check ride.
The FAA regional surgeon wrote a very thick test book for the designated examiner.
One of the things I was asked to do was after determining how far away a highway was (about a mile) in yards and then count down 100 yards at a time as we approached the highway. The intercom “failed” and I had to count down on the fingers of one hand while I flew the aircraft and managed busy traffic. People with TBIs have challenges with multitasking.
When we were “finished” I was told repeatedly and forcefully to land on a runway that had a gyroplane on it that was spooling up. I refused and went around. People with TBIs tend to be compliant.
The process consumed about two years and I now fly with a statement of demonstrated ability for the TBI (loss of consciousness) and my monocular vision.
The test ride was less than two hours.
It is specifically for a class three medical and now that I want to get a class two medical to exercise the privileges of my commercial certificate I will need to schedule another demonstrated ability medical check ride.
It would have probably been less expensive and quicker if I had gone to someone familiar with FAA medicals. My file was over an inch thick by the time they were finished with the process.
I believe that the Western Region surgeon was sincerely trying to do a good job.
I found the process frustrating and expensive.
Good luck on you adventure!

do not pass Go.
do not collect $200
contact Dr Bruce Chien immediately www.aeromedicaldoc.com
He will tell exactly what tests are needed and the best way to go thru the entire process.

In Chicago the Neurocog profile is about $2,600. It's a full eight hours of work, plus about 10 more after for the Ph.D. If you're going to pay that you should use someone whose works makes federal grade. There are about 25 of them.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back