Netgear print server problem and questions

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
I recently picked up a wireless print server from NetGear (WGPS606) to connect my two printers to my wireless network. After fighting with the installation (and wasting an hour with their useless support folks) I got it working with one laptop (running Vista) but not my main laptop (XP). I suspect the reason is this computer has VPN client software installed which has interfered with network printing in the past. The server is assigned to a fixed IP that's high enough to prevent the DHCP in my wireless router from assigning it to anything else. It's connected to a HP laserjet 1012 and an Epson CX9400 multifunction printer (both via USB). My wireless router is a D-Link of some sort purchased a few years ago.

The symptoms: The laptop can see the server's web page. The "wizard" that came with the print server cannot find the server.

First, I'm thinking there must be a way to set up this laptop without the wizard but the documentation isn't very helpful. Any suggestions for that would be appreciated.

Second, if this concept is incompatible with VPN (I'm not trying to access the printer via VPN), is there a way to "disable" the VPN client in a way that prevent's the problem but allows me to use the VPN connection to my office network when I'm not trying to print? The VPN client is by SecureRemote.

Third, what if anything must be installed or modified in order to use the print server from a computer. It appears that the regular (local) printer driver must be installed and it somehow gets redirected via some tunneling protocol over TCP/IP. In the printer properties sheet on the "ports" tab an additional virtual port appears once I've run the setup that's used to print via the server.

Finally, it turns out that this particular print server is a poor match for a multifunction printer since it only extends the print function and I'd still have to connect directly for scanning. I've seen other products from D-Link, LinkSys, and others that claim to allow access to "all functions" of the printer and will probably swap for one of those eventually. None of the wireless print servers I've found that offer multifunction support will connect two printers so I may just add another server for the Epson and leave the NetGear one on the HP. Any other options there?

Multifunction printers often require intense two-way communication because a lot of the "brain" is hosted on the host PC. That won't work over anything other than a a direct cable connection.

You should still be able to share the printer but course the host PC has to be on.

Lance,

I've had my share of problems with a netgear print server. If you can see the webpage, it should work. Perhaps you have a firewall on the computer that's blocking the necessary ports? If it works in Vista it ought to work in XP.

FWIW, I have no issues with the laptop with a vpn client installed. You might want to disable the client (stop the process & verify that you can see around it) and see if you can connect. Your VPN may be configured to direct ALL net traffic through the VPN... if the printer's IP is on the local side, it would be an issue.

IIRC, most of the netgear stuff can be configured around the wizard, but it's harder.

Lance,

I've had my share of problems with a netgear print server. If you can see the webpage, it should work. Perhaps you have a firewall on the computer that's blocking the necessary ports? If it works in Vista it ought to work in XP.

FWIW, I have no issues with the laptop with a vpn client installed. You might want to disable the client (stop the process & verify that you can see around it) and see if you can connect. Your VPN may be configured to direct ALL net traffic through the VPN... if the printer's IP is on the local side, it would be an issue.

IIRC, most of the netgear stuff can be configured around the wizard, but it's harder.

My company VPN comes with a firewall to disable any traffic outside of the VPN when the VPN is logged in for security reasons (to disable any chance the PC can be remotely observed, keystroke logged, or controlled.)

In my case the redirect is inactive when the VPN is disconnected.

BTW, the classic thing to check is the Windows firewall. Turn it off and let it tell you how dangerous that is and see if that cures the problem. I dunno how that is done in Vista but I suppose it yells at you more and more often.

I think in XP it has a hazy idea what is the local network that should be allowed and that breaks a lot of local network functionality.

I tried shutting off the firewall last night and the VPN was not connected at any time when I was trying to set up the print server.

-lance

Back