Net access @ 3M0

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
"We have a brand new, state of the art phone system installed here at the resort. Each cottage has a phone with a data port on the side, and our connection speeds are as fast as your 56k modem wants them to be. We normally see 48k consistently in all of the cottages."

Does this mean you have to make a long distance call to the server of your choice then connect via dialup?

Tks

Dave, I'll check to see if there is a local access number for SBC, get back to you... have an idea...

Well, there are all kinds of numbers showing up, but no indication of which (if any) are not long distance.

If I could figure out one which was truly local, I'd bring along a modem and a wireless router and set it up to provide an always-on connection for all to use...

Anyone able to venture an opinion as to which of the following is closest?

---
Ashdown AR (870)667-4774 56K V90
Ashdown AR (870)667-4925 56K V90
El Dorado AR (870)639-4001 56K V90
Hamburg AR (870)853-3002 56K V90
Jonesboro AR (870)268-7610 56K V90
Lake Village AR (870)417-4014 56K V90
Magnolia AR (870)626-4014 56K V90
Marianna AR (870)298-4002 56K V90
McGehee AR (870)222-0007 56K V90
Monticello AR (870)224-4002 56K V90
Nashville AR (870)455-4774 56K V90
Nashville AR (870)455-4925 56K V90
Pine Bluff AR (870)534-6380 56K V90
Smackover AR (870)725-5001 56K V90
Stamps AR (870)533-5003 56K V90
Texarkana AR (870)330-4009 56K V90
Warren AR (870)466-4002 56K V90
Wynne AR (870)587-4002 56K V90

---

Geek? Yes.

I'll stay on it...

Last edited:
Not so fast, Kemosabe!

Lakeview is served by Natco (Northern Arkansas Telephone Co), who provides local-call Internet, for a price... and I don't know that they'll create an account for short-term use.

Other alternative would be to see about 800-number access for either SBC or Earthlink; but that's pay by the minute. We'll see what we can figger out...

In any event, if do-able, it will still be a shared dial up, so still slow (though experience shows not so slow as one might expect).

Watch this space...

Last edited:
yeah it might be slow. if 10 users, 56K... 5K each!!

Last year my isp gave me temporary dialup access and password. I'll try that again.

I still think with the tech skills we encompass we should consider shifts of people orbiting the field 24h Fri-Sun, providing us with some kind of uplinkrelay from a remote antenna, rebroadcasting into the valley with bandwidth of some GB-multiple!
:)

Dave, when your ISP did that last year, was it a "local" call from Gaston's?

Steve said:
The ambience of the place suffered, imho, when they installed tvs and phones in the cabins.

I'm bringing my laptop, but only as a DVD player for the girls enroute (and if anyone wants to watch Skip Stewart's home brew aerobatic routine DVD).
We promise to only use it go keep this forum updated on news, runway conditions, and maybe check the weather going home, etc. ;)

Last year the early arrivers posted on the AOPA Webboard about runway conditions and weather and teased us with pictures of beautiful scenery and their airplanes sitting in the grass and made us want to get there even faster.

Who is Skip Stewart? Can I watch it too? :)

I just survived 3.5 days of Internet withdrawal. It can be done!

:eek: <----- "Oh, no, not again!"

Steve said:
Gaston's is not the kind of place you go to get on the internet. :no:

And just how will we deal with our radar-image addiction?

agreed Steve but it is nice to see a pic before we blast off on Sunday.
I do find FSS location descriptions in unfamiliar areas difficult to assess.
".... east of a line 43ssw of podunk to nowhere extending 86 mi sw of blahsville...."

And if I don't ck mail each day it will be (we are away W & T & F as well)
5 days X 150msgs =......

For what it is worth, I think I'm just going to see about setting up the laptop to be an ad hoc base station, with Internet Connection Sharing enabled, so anyone in range (150' or so?) can use the same connection. Just need to find out best way to do the actual dialing in; Dave, got that 800-number?

OK, I have the hardware all up and running (kinda cool, actually, my wireless router has a serial port for dial-up failover, which few have).

So.

Got a dial-up access number we can use?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

.....by the way, this wireless to dial-up thing works great. It is not broadband, but could be a lot worse. So bring your laptops w/ wireless cards, and (at least in reasonable proximity of my cabin) you'll be able to use the connection.

Ciao. Again.

rats Spike- my isp has given me a few l.d. phone numbers is all
and it took the best of 3 days calling to get dialup access at that.
They used to be "Frank, Todd and Mark" at Overland (I could drive over and knock on the office door or call them at home) but they sold out to a much larger group and like all large companies do, have become largely inaccessible to their customers.

Fair, 'nuff. On to plan B.

Whatever that is...

I have Pilot My-Cast on my phone and I do get service at Gaston's. We can check the radar and weather with it if need be.

Dean, you don't understand.

It's no longer about the utility.

It is a challenge to be overcome.

But I can't wait to see the my-cast, I've been curious about that.

Spike

How did we ever function with out the internet, cellphones, pagers, PDA's and so on. Life sure was? SIMPLE!

But I can't wait to see the my-cast, I've been curious about that.

Spike[/QUOTE]
It works great, I have even used it while flying to check a storm ahead of me. The only draw back is the type of phone you use with it. I have a Motorola V220 and the screen is small. I pilot bud of mine has it on his Razor and it has a much bigger and better picture.

When I travel I often use a free Juno or Netzero account for dialup - they probably have local access numbers down there (sorry for the late post - I can't go and wasn't reading all of the posts!)

OK, mission accomplished. I got an 800-number from SBC, $6.00/hr, but I'll just set it up to automatically disconnect when inactive and we'll be jake.

I am such a geek.

Oh yeah, as best I can determine, no one (and I mean NO ONE) has local access number for that area except Natco, the local phone company (no, it ain't Verizon or SBC!).

SCCutler said:
OK, mission accomplished. I got an 800-number from SBC, $6.00/hr, but I'll just set it up to automatically disconnect when inactive and we'll be jake.

I am such a geek.

Oh yeah, as best I can determine, no one (and I mean NO ONE) has local access number for that area except Natco, the local phone company (no, it ain't Verizon or SBC!).

Talk to me when I arrive at Gaston's. I have a $1.80/hour option but it might not be as automatic as you'd like.

OK, got it wired. I just bought one month's access from a local ISP. Done deal. Assuming it all works. Which it will.

SCCutler said:
OK, got it wired. I just bought one month's access from a local ISP. Done deal. Assuming it all works. Which it will.

We can't go a weekend w/o internet access? :rofl:

N2212R said:

Of course we can, but that's beside the point. It is a technical challenge, one which can be attacked, defeated and concluded in a couple of days, rather than the typical time cycle for my legal work, much of which requires substantial slices of a millenium to resolve.

Some people are bringing beer. Some, Moon Pies. Me? I am bringing connectivity for the masses (or, at least, those who are within 100' or so of my cabin).

Dats dat. Mock me if you will (my wife always does).

I still want to rig up the patch antenna on the bottom of the airplane for transitory connectivity. But it's not my airplane.

See ya tomorrow!

Edit: Besides, ours is a 'Net-centric group anyway!

N2212R said:

How would the rest of us hampster wheel peasants that can't fill up the Gastons tiedowns know if you're having fun if you're not posting while it's happening??

I was going to ask that you guys try to get online during lunch so we can do a live real-time chat.

Anybody who has SBC Yahoo DSL already has dial-up. It looks like you have to download and install the "Connection Manager" to get the phone numbers. That would be tricky if you not online. I can do it over my cell phone with an IR link. :p
http://help.sbcglobal.net/index.php

The tricky part is your account is your myemail@sbcglobal.net (or whatever) email account and you have to know the password. In my case that's been buried in the router for many years. I called for a password reset.

Sad thing is, there is no "local" number for SBC's dialup in the area;all long distance. Ditto Earthlink, Juno, NetZero, etc. I just bought one month service from Natco (local guys).

SCCutler said:
Sad thing is, there is no "local" number for SBC's dialup in the area;all long distance. Ditto Earthlink, Juno, NetZero, etc. I just bought one month service from Natco (local guys).

I could have done it from my cellphone with free long distance, but it would only be 9.6kbps. I have a choice of 2 portables and 3 alternative ways to get online and I would still have been down to the 9.6 solution. *sigh*

I also have a long distance calling card that is 3.9 cents a minute. Making a modem call with a card is no fun at all, though.

I just got a new Palm (Tapwave Zodiac at closeout for $199) PDA with a WiFi card. That one like my laptop can also dial-up using IR and the cellphone.

Other than that, if I was there I could just call the FSS for weather, but don't make me do that. :)

Last edited:
Well, like I say, unless the technology lets us down, I'll have a wifi link to a dial-up account for use by whomever wants. It was that, or moon pies!

SCCutler said:
Well, like I say, unless the technology lets us down, I'll have a wifi link to a dial-up account for use by whomever wants. It was that, or moon pies!
Spike, thank you.
Mike, I tried and activated my DSL dialup account. Three hours later at level two tech support, we resorted to trying multiple numbers for the "not valid on the domain" message 691. Got in on the one in Spring Bay. Can't get in on the 888 despite verifying that my 888 "premium" $6.00/hr service is active.

The level two guy's numbers didn't work on any of the routers, either, except this local one, and didn't work on the 888.

Mike, SBCs execution really, really sucks. If anyone in your organization cares....

Back