Negotiating FBO fees and Fuel Prices

AirDC

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
You need to work on your shmoozing and begging technique dude lol, I never pay those, they're always negotiable as are fuel prices; especially if you buy quantity.

Maybe it's your natural born likeability, or maybe you have some techniques that everyone can learn from....

I thought we might be able to start a new thread with some tips from Henning and others on how to avoid or reduce paying landing/facility/parking fees as well as reducing fuel prices.

I have never thought to ask, but sometimes have had people just give me small fuel discounts or waive fees which I was told over the phone I would be charged.

Tips?

Fly a jet. I'm certain they'll fall all over themselves trying to get your business.

In all seriousness though, I've not had anyone give me a break on anything, except a couple airport guys who accidentally didn't charge me for a plane load of gas. I bought them a nice present on the way back.

No real tips. I do think it is general practice to waive an overnight fee if you top off the tanks. Last week Waycross (KAYS) was discounting gas $.30 and had free hot dogs and BBQ for folks that were stopping on their way to Sun-N-Fun and back.

Kissimmee Gateway gave a free night for showing a Sun-N-Fun wristband over the weekend.

Walk into the FBO with a big smile on your face and strike up a few minute long conversation with the workers. Then casually as you're beginning to walk out say "there isn't a ramp fee or anything is there?!" I feel that if you had left a good impression in the first few minutes of conversation the worker will be much more likely to waive the fee and you will be on your jolly way!

No special technique, smiling, begging, flirting, feigning heart attack at the mention of astronomical price, claims suc as "I own an airplane, how the hell am I supposed to afford that?", anything to make em laugh and smile while I beg for concessions. All you have to be willing to do is leave your pride and dignity in the plane.

At a Pennsylvania TRSA airport I diverted to the line guy asked me if I was "training" when I told him I was just making a pit stop. He said it would waive the ramp fee if I told them that inside ("but you didn't hear that from me"). So if you are doing a solo practice flight or instrument training let them know.

Fly a jet. I'm certain they'll fall all over themselves trying to get your business.

That is not how it works. Jets actually have significantly higher ramp fees. At our airport, it's something like a $500-1000 ramp fee for a G-V coming in.

Often times if you're just friendly with the folks at the desk and chat with them they'll let you go without paying the fee. Typically, I only ask for a discount if I'm doing dog flights, and I virtually always get it.

In all seriousness though, I've not had anyone give me a break on anything, except a couple airport guys who accidentally didn't charge me for a plane load of gas. I bought them a nice present on the way back.

:eek::eek::eek: Nooo... Lol. Those are the guys that pay full ticket so us broke azz dudes can use nice facilities and eat cookies at a discount (or rather more average hyper inflated costs:rolleyes:).

If you try being friendly you might get more discounts.;)

Come out of the plane say "thanks" and immediately hand the line guy a $5. If they are able to waive any fees without the boss getting on their case, they probably will.

I thought we might be able to start a new thread with some tips from Henning and others on how to avoid or reduce paying landing/facility/parking fees as well as reducing fuel prices.

Well, you could buy your own airport and start your own FBO. Then you wouldn't have to pay.

You could not fly into those airports where someone else invested (risked) their time and money to provide a service to those that appreciate and need it

I have other comments, but it always ****es me off when people expect other people to provide them services for free, or at best expect them to not make any profit on their effort or investment. It is not cheap to run and FBO, pay staff, and provide all those "free services". How many of you don't expect to get paid for your work?

Sorry, I just finished dealing with three deadbeat customers in a row that didn't think we should charge them.

Well, you could buy your own airport and start your own FBO. Then you wouldn't have to pay.

You could not fly into those airports where someone else invested (risked) their time and money to provide a service to those that appreciate and need it

I have other comments, but it always ****es me off when people expect other people to provide them services for free, or at best expect them to not make any profit on their effort or investment. It is not cheap to run and FBO, pay staff, and provide all those "free services". How many of you don't expect to get paid for your work?

Sorry, I just finished dealing with three deadbeat customers in a row that didn't think we should charge them.

Or you can ask for prices that are representative of the competition and the merchant can choose to honor those requests or negotiate to a midpoint. $7.50 avgas and $75 for the privilege of paying that price is a bit rich for my blood so I'm nice and ask a favor. People are typically nice in return and grant that favor as often they have managed to run all the other business off the field with back room deals with the airport management. I am not their target market, the $150 discount leaving me paying $500 instead of $750 will amount to a rounding error in the typical jet centers monthly bottom line even if they give it to all the little recipes that stop there that month. One flight on. G5 will burn more fuel than I'll burn in 10 years! That is where a jet center makes its money, that is the target market. Those avgas prices are advertised $2 above everybody else because GA isn't worth their time and they would rather you not show up. However when you do show up and are nice and make them laugh, they become reasonable about their prices. There might be some karma involved for all the ramp rats who I've taken along when they jokingly asked if they could come.

At a Pennsylvania TRSA airport I diverted to the line guy asked me if I was "training" when I told him I was just making a pit stop. He said it would waive the ramp fee if I told them that inside ("but you didn't hear that from me"). So if you are doing a solo practice flight or instrument training let them know.

Capital City?

My most-effective (and most recent) negotiation occurred on Saturday. KLNC opened their new self-serv pump, offered 100LL at $4.04 for the weekend. I bought 84 gal.

I'm such a deadbeat because I don't want to pay that $50 fee to go use the loo.

Walk into the FBO with a big smile on your face and strike up a few minute long conversation with the workers. Then casually as you're beginning to walk out say "there isn't a ramp fee or anything is there?!" I feel that if you had left a good impression in the first few minutes of conversation the worker will be much more likely to waive the fee and you will be on your jolly way!

Exactly! You treat the staff well and usually if they can give you a break they will.

I've only had it work once when not on a charity flight.

On a visit (my last) to OSU the lady at the desk asked if I needed fuel. I responded in the negative, I was just picking someone up.

"ug, well then you have to pay the $5 ramp fee!"

Had the attitude not been present I'd have just tossed her a fiver, but she rubbed me the wrong way so I told her to put $2.50 in each tank.

She scowled at me and marked me as paied.

There is the regular price and there is a "based here" price at many FBOs. Buy enough gas and be nice...

Is this an East Coast thing? I've flown all around Northern California, read the ramp fee signs and I've always been told to keep my money when I tried to pay it. I never buy fuel since my plane uses mogas so it's not that. In any case, 5-10 dollars a day for sturdy tie-downs and a security fence seems like a bargain to me.

Not if you want to get out of ramp fees. :eek:

LOL, you think a jet pays It's dues..?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Try a yacht sometime...! Oh for those intrepid business men who see me as a leech fear not; I serve your Master's bidding fairly with other peoples money earning me their favor and seal of safe passage.

I don't mind paying a fee for a secure tie down for the night or a crew car. But to just come in, use the loo and wait for my ride I have to pay $25? I have to admit, I only do it once.

Back