Negative ANN article about Cirrus

It was the posting moniker he used when he first showed up on the USENET boards. What he wasn't prepared for was that the internet is an interactive thing. Unlike his unchecked drivel he was publishing in USAviation at the time, he was roundly taken to task by respondents in rec.aviation.

He used that moniker even before the usenet days. When I was a teenager in the early to mid-eighties and drooling over every airplane magazine I could find, I really enjoyed Jim's writing because it was so different from other writers. I don't remember the magazines he wrote for (maybe Homebuilt Aircraft?), but his name was always shown as J.R. "Zoom" Campbell. He started US Aviator about the time I finished college and learned to fly, and I was an early subscriber. I enjoyed it, but reading it cover to cover each month started to make me wonder about the guy. It seemed EVERYONE had a "vendetta" against him. I gave him the benefit of the doubt until all the usenet drama came about, and then the bubble burst.

It was the posting moniker he used when he first showed up on the USENET boards. What he wasn't prepared for was that the internet is an interactive thing. Unlike his unchecked drivel he was publishing in USAviation at the time, he was roundly taken to task by respondents in rec.aviation.

Actually, Campbell was using "Captain Zoom" as a nickname well before showing up on RAH, and at least ten years before "The Adventures of Captain Zoom in Outer Space" was aired on TV:

http://my.core.com/~krankor/megczoom.htm

The plot is basically that of "Galaxy Quest"... a hack, egotistical actor playing a '50s sci-fi hero is transported to a land where they think he's a real hero. He tries to explain it to them... he's an actor, he just PRETENDS to be someone else.
zomhappy.jpg

Was it a coincidence? No, by the story I heard.

Someone, back in '90s, photoshopped Campbell's head on "Captain Zoom's" body and posted it. Campbell claimed it was a Nazi uniform....

Ron Wanttaja

Any chance you can provide a quick summary of that? Watching monday night football and did not have a chance to read.. from a quick glance that is a very long court transcript about campbell attempting to base jump the WTC, representing himself in court, and something about a shrink.

Much as I like Nick's version :), here's a summary of SE-4661:

http://www.ousterhout.net/zoom/rjw-4661.html

Ron Wanttaja

Look, psychopath or not, it should be easy to answer this: did employees of Cirrus broke into FBO's hangar and disabled ANN's airplane, or did they not. There is a police report, right?

Pete, I looked through the "Police Blotter" section of the St. Augustine Record and saw neither a mention of the incident or any arrest report for the Cirrus guy (Strohl). Though oddly enough, there is not a Police Blotter listing for the 19th of August, when all this was supposed to have happened (there is for the days on either side).

http://staugustine.com/news/police

I'm sure the cops came out. But if the Cirrus guy was holding any sort of paper on the airplane, I expect they backed off rather than get in the middle of a civil case. Hence no arrest and nothing in the local paper.

Of idle curiosity is why the plane was at the St. Augustine airport in the first place... Campbell lives on an airpark not far away with, I suspect, his own hangar. Probably was there for maintenance.

In which case, the Cirrus folks were either watching for the airplane or someone at the FBO tipped them off when it came in. Either way, it implies advance planning by Cirrus rather than a spur-of-the-moment repossession. Which, again, argues that the Cirrus guy had the appropriate paperwork to mollify the cops.

Ron Wanttaja

Pete, I looked through the "Police Blotter" section of the St. Augustine Record and saw neither a mention of the incident or any arrest report for the Cirrus guy (Strohl). Though oddly enough, there is not a Police Blotter listing for the 19th of August, when all this was supposed to have happened (there is for the days on either side).

http://staugustine.com/news/police

I'm sure the cops came out. But if the Cirrus guy was holding any sort of paper on the airplane, I expect they backed off rather than get in the middle of a civil case. Hence no arrest and nothing in the local paper.

Of idle curiosity is why the plane was at the St. Augustine airport in the first place... Campbell lives on an airpark not far away with, I suspect, his own hangar. Probably was there for maintenance.

In which case, the Cirrus folks were either watching for the airplane or someone at the FBO tipped them off when it came in. Either way, it implies advance planning by Cirrus rather than a spur-of-the-moment repossession. Which, again, argues that the Cirrus guy had the appropriate paperwork to mollify the cops.

Ron Wanttaja
I too had looked at the blotter a couple of days ago to seeif I could find any sort of corroborating evidence of JC's story. Like yourself I could not.

Knowing Jim, the maintenance shop was also owed money. The shop isn't going to let anybody move that plane until they get paid. THey may have even liened it.

Knowing Jim, the maintenance shop was also owed money. The shop isn't going to let anybody move that plane until they get paid. THey may have even liened it.
My guess would be no. Campbell described the FBO as a friend, which is not a term he would use for someone who had filed a lien on his property. In that case, he would be a "former friend" or "someone I thought was my friend."

Doesn't mean Campbell doesn't owe the FBO money; just means they haven't pestered him about it or taken action.

Ron Wanttaja

Attached is the complaint filed by Cirrus against Kindred Spirit Aviation and James R Campbell in the Circuit Court of the Fourth Judicial Circuit in and for Clay County.

I guess I should ordered the exhibits too.

Attachments

• cirrus_v_kindred.pdf
    688.9 KB · Views: 102
Attached is the complaint filed by Cirrus against Kindred Spirit Aviation and James R Campbell in the Circuit Court of the Fourth Judicial Circuit in and for Clay County.

I guess I should ordered the exhibits too.

Sounds pretty straightforward, doesn't it.

Typical aircraft deal with a single person LLC and a personal guarantee of the loan.

Interesting recap of the events around the 19th, suddenly much less of a conspiracy.

Last edited:
Clearly a forgery, submitted by terrorists who are part of a vast conspiracy against the lone voice of truth in aviation.

Or maybe not.

Condensed version: Allegedly didn't pay fer it, removed the prop lock and hid it...
Oh, ho! Hadn't heard this part...This really gets interesting now.

The lawyer I had when Campbell sued me said that judges really dislike those who play fast and loose with the law. The online listing doesn't even show Campbell having a lawyer, yet.

What's really amazing is that Zoom apparently paid what looks to be new price for a several-years-old demonstrator. Doesn't even look like they made him pay anything down. With the disputed amount being over a quarter-million dollars, this is the most money riding on a case than any of the ~33-odd lawsuits Campbell has been plaintiff or defendant on in the past 20 years.

Too bad the CAPS can't solve legal problems as well as it settles airmanship issues. Then again, maybe it can...:rolleyes:

BTW, I did find the "Police Blotter" for the 19th of August. No mention of a Cirrus guy getting arrested, or any other action at the airport:

http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/2011-08-20/police-report-8202011

Ron Wanttaja

Passed it on to a Florida friend of mine. He commented that Florida has a 10-20 day time period to answer Civil Replevin cases, which has already passed. He said the online listing may lag actual action by a week or so. I notice the online docket has been updated today to add two "Affidavit /Return Service - unexec as to james campbell" entries (the other one was to Kindred Spirit). I presume this is attempted service of some legal paperwork, and Zoom's not answering his door.

[Edit: Also, by today's update (10/18), Zoom STILL doesn't have a lawyer. He can represent himself, but he can't represent the LLC. Cirrus is represented by a pretty high-power firm, with major clients.]

My friend also said that during aircraft repossessions, the agent usually removes the Airworthiness Certificate from the aircraft. If that happened in this case, flying it would have been an FAA violation.

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
I don't know about anyone else but I lost respect for the author after he changed the spelling of the guys name...two ways within two sentences. "Unfortunately, and unbeknownst to both Alan and I, something of a trap was being set for Alan which would result (later in 2009), in Allen's position as the head of the company being taken from him. "

But that's just me.

I don't know which of Zoomy's recent missives made me groan more ... his seemingly endless laments over the loss of his beloved ex who obviously did not share his affections, or this current misadventure with Cirrus. As much as I hate to admit, I continue to subscribe to ANN only out of curiosity as to what diatribe he will launch next. Nothing personal, but this guy desperately needs a stiff injection of reality and perhaps this case will provide the means to that end. As amusing as his antics may be to those of us who've experienced his zoomieness firsthand, the comedy of zoom is seems to be rapidly turning into a real tragedy. I'd give my left testicle to have a front row seat in the courtroom should this one ever go to trial.
Makes you wonder what his next chapter will be.

I'd give my left testicle to have a front row seat in the courtroom should this one ever go to trial.
Makes you wonder what his next chapter will be.

I think your man-parts are safe. In order for this to go to any kind of trial, the respondent has to accept service of the complaint and respond with some sort of filing disputing the claim. Cirrus will show that they have made the required effort to get him served and if he hasn't responded within the required time, the court will simply issue a default judgement and an order to repossess the plane.
The next chapter involves a sheriffs deputy, adhesive tape and a friendly man with a bolt-cutter.

The next chapter involves a sheriffs deputy, adhesive tape and a friendly man with a bolt-cutter.[/QUOTE]

Amen. I really would give it up to be a witness to that!

Amen. I really would give it up to be a witness to that!

History suggests that it will also include screaming, claims of terrorism and given the venue probably a golf cart :D .

Maybe something worth putting on pay per view.

He is quite upset that the 1099 was made out to him personally when it should have been made out to Kindred Spirit. If he indeed obtained a TIN or EIN for Kindred spirit, that should indeed be the entity the 1099 should be made out to. The way how those property deals often happen, the entity is only formed during the purchase process and the seller may not have received the form W9 from the purchasing entity in time before all the paperwork is being done. So when it came time to issue 1099s against the forgiven loan amount (which is probably what Cirrus is doing here to forgive the loan piecemeal in exchange for ad space on ANN), the accountant just issued it against the person.

Accounting oversight, not terrorism.

Doesn't the contractor fill out the W-99 which is where the info for the 1099 is taken from?

<---<^>--->

Doesn't the contractor fill out the W-99 which is where the info for the 1099 is taken from?

Sure, that's the idea. You have two people who are jointly responsible for something (in this case James Campbell and Kindred Spirit aviation) and for one you have the tax ID and for the other one you don't, it's not such a stretch to just make out the 1099 to the one you have the number for. This note is $5500/month, if they indeed kept forgiving the payments, they had to send someone a piece of paper.

I've had 1099s made out to me personally that should have gone to the company. A couple of phonecalls later, it got re-issued. Really nothing to make a federal case out of.

For single-owner LLC's without employees, the only TID available was the individual's SSN, at least for the last half-dozen or so we've filed.

...What's really amazing is that Zoom apparently paid what looks to be new price for a several-years-old demonstrator. Doesn't even look like they made him pay anything down. With the disputed amount being over a quarter-million dollars, this is the most money riding on a case than any of the ~33-odd lawsuits Campbell has been plaintiff or defendant on in the past 20 years.

"paid" or traded for advertising? What is amazing to me is that you can get that much money from major firms for crappy blinking web site ads.

I'ver heard that he-who-is-the-subject started out with somebody backing him with bunch of dough from an inheritance or somesuch.

Last edited:
For single-owner LLC's without employees, the only TID available was the individual's SSN, at least for the last half-dozen or so we've filed.

Depending on what you do with it, it can make sense to get a separate tax ID even for a single member LLC without employees. For one that simply holds an asset, there is probably little use in doing so.

In the case at hand, it was probably entirely appropriate that the 1099 was made out to his tax ID.

Passed it on to a Florida friend of mine. He commented that Florida has a 10-20 day time period to answer Civil Replevin cases, which has already passed. He said the online listing may lag actual action by a week or so. I notice the online docket has been updated today to add two "Affidavit /Return Service - unexec as to james campbell" entries (the other one was to Kindred Spirit). I presume this is attempted service of some legal paperwork, and Zoom's not answering his door.

[Edit: Also, by today's update (10/18), Zoom STILL doesn't have a lawyer. He can represent himself, but he can't represent the LLC. Cirrus is represented by a pretty high-power firm, with major clients.]

My friend also said that during aircraft repossessions, the agent usually removes the Airworthiness Certificate from the aircraft. If that happened in this case, flying it would have been an FAA violation.

Ron Wanttaja

Here's the the thing about doing a repo in Florida, if there is a "Public Disturbance" in the acquisition of the property, Like they come out yelling and screaming when you are trying to get it, you have to cease. If I've got the car/boat/plane started or hooked to the tow truck, I'm good to continue. I took a 90' yacht from a guys backyard dock on a Sunday afternoon while he was having a party by the pool. We came on 16' RIB, tied it to the outside of the yacht, I snuck on and across the boat and released the lines and power cord (from the dock end:D), signal my partner to back down a bit and get us off the dock, then I went on the flybridge and fired it up. At this time I'm noticed, but I'm also clear of the dock so when the guy comes running and yelling I'm good to wave papers in the air and shout back "Call Your Banker!!!":lol::lol::lol:

BTW, 90% of repos are voluntary. I call them, they meet me and hand me the key and warn me of problems and quirks. Most of the time with planes they give me all the logs as well. Most of the time it's just that circumstances changed and they can no longer afford it.

Last edited:
I notice the online docket has been updated today to add two "Affidavit /Return Service - unexec as to james campbell" entries (the other one was to Kindred Spirit). I presume this is attempted service of some legal paperwork, and Zoom's not answering his door.

Kind of interesting that he avoided service for himself but not the LLC as Zoom is the registered agent for Kindred Spirit Aviation, LLC

Detail by Entity Name Florida Limited Liability Company KINDRED SPIRIT AVIATION, LLC
Filing Information Document Number L09000000255
FEI/EIN Number N/A
Date Filed 01/02/2009
State FL
Status ACTIVE
Principal Address
5291 AIR PARK LOOP E
GREEN COVE SPRINGS FL 32043

US Mailing Address PO BOX 305
GREEN COVE SPRINGS FL 32043

US Registered Agent Name & Address
CAMPBELL, JAMES R
5291 AIR PARK LOOP E
GREEN COVE SPRINGS FL 32043 US

Manager/Member Detail Name & Address Title

MGR CAMPBELL, JAMES R
5291 AIR PARK LOOP E
GREEN COVE SPRINGS FL 32043 US

Annual Reports
Report Year Filed Date
2010 01/06/2010
2011 01/04/2011

Document Images 01/04/2011 -- ANNUAL REPORT
01/06/2010 -- ANNUAL REPORT
01/02/2009 -- Florida Limited Liability

Kind of interesting that he avoided service for himself but not the LLC as Zoom is the registered agent for Kindred Spirit Aviation, LLC
I regret I wasn't clear. The service to the LLC was also unexecuted.

Ron Wanttaja

We tried to get a separate number. They said no. Can't remember the details, but IIRC the tax attorney/CPA said the service was trying to reduce the number of TID's. It wasn't a big deal at the time, so we shrugged and complied.

Depending on what you do with it, it can make sense to get a separate tax ID even for a single member LLC without employees. For one that simply holds an asset, there is probably little use in doing so.

In the case at hand, it was probably entirely appropriate that the 1099 was made out to his tax ID.

We tried to get a separate number. They said no. Can't remember the details, but IIRC the tax attorney/CPA said the service was trying to reduce the number of TID's. It wasn't a big deal at the time, so we shrugged and complied.

Not aware of such a restriction, never had a problem getting an EIN online.

The question is whether it is smart. After 2 years without employees, they start hassling you as to why you are not witholding anything :rolleyes2: .

I'ver heard that he-who-is-the-subject started out with somebody backing him with bunch of dough from an inheritance or somesuch.
I dunno. It does look like it, on the surface. In the decade after his bankruptcy, Campbell bought a house on an airpark, two airplanes, filed five lawsuits and was the defendant in three more.

However, the bankruptcy undoubtedly gave him some breathing room. He owed over $100,000 to various printers, another $35,000 to his ex-wife, and about $20,000 to the IRS. The list of unsecured creditors is fascinating… attorneys in several states, a number of computer stores, more printers, credit card companies, and a bunch of clinic and hospital bills.

All wiped clean.

The only thing lingering was his agreement to pay the Bankruptcy Trustee $25,000 to settle the Fraud/Perjury lawsuit. The record shows him keeping up payments pretty good for the first three years, but then they start petering out (“Payments are continuing/less regular”) and then basically end (“Monthly payments have ceased with little likelihood of resuming…”).

When he switched his magazine to an all-electronic format, his expenses dropped drastically. Server space is a lot cheaper than printing thousands of magazines every month. I bet the advertising rates didn’t change… and immediately suing two companies for violating supposed verbal contracts for advertising probably encouraged others to continue (those lawsuits were filed just a month before ANN took over the payments to the bankruptcy trustee). His last payment to the trustee occurred the same month he filed three additional lawsuits against ex-advertisers (April 2005).

He bought a Glasair a year later (at about the same time the Bankruptcy Trustee finally closed the case), but lost his attorney for his second Sun-N-Fun lawsuit (filed in 2003) a year after that (August 2007), for apparent non-payment of his legal bills. The Judge’s order granting the petition quotes “… Rule 4-1.16(b)(4)(5) of the Florida Rules of Professional Conduct…” http://www.law.cornell.edu/ethics/fl/code/FL_CODE.HTM

The same attorney was handling his remaining lawsuits against his ex-advertisers, and Campbell was unable to get a replacement. So these lawsuits were dismissed as well. The next year, he somehow convinced Cirrus that he was a good candidate for a loan, and we all know how THAT has turned out.

He may have had some big source of outside income, like an inheritance, but if so, it sure looks like he frittered it away….

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
Just a quick thought about things financial in the land of Zoom ... anyone else notice the public plea for "donations" for his "legal defense fund"? This guy is incredible. Just when I think he's exposed himself to the extent that escape is seemingly impossible, he fires up another smokescreen and slithers away. Talk about spin ... if his saga gets any tighter he will definitely qualify for a Kiwi award if he hasn't already.
I guess the only good thing for America is that he's confined himself to the aviation industry. Thank God that he's never run for office ... yet.

Just a quick thought about things financial in the land of Zoom ... anyone else notice the public plea for "donations" for his "legal defense fund"? This guy is incredible. Just when I think he's exposed himself to the extent that escape is seemingly impossible, he fires up another smokescreen and slithers away. Talk about spin ... if his saga gets any tighter he will definitely qualify for a Kiwi award if he hasn't already.
I guess the only good thing for America is that he's confined himself to the aviation industry. Thank God that he's never run for office ... yet.

DANGER, DANGER Will Robinson! If you donate and stop sending money you'll get sued for violating an imaginary verbal agreement to keep sending money.

Back