Needed lite WYSIWYG HTML editor

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
I have a HTML page that prints out to about 450 pages on the printer, with multiple levels of embedded tables. Need a WYSIWYG editor I can use to snip it down to about 5 pages without going completely mad. Today.

FrontPage (our only editor blessed by IT) is slowly strangling. Word is similarly afflicted.

Any suggestions?

I think DreamWeaver offers a free trial... Maybe not a good choice if you have never used it, however. It has a somewhat steep learning curve.

OpenOffice.org has an HTML editor built in to both the Writer and Impress parts. I haven't used it for HTML in quite a few years, but last time I did, it worked pretty well for simple stuff.

Rich

I'm assuming you mean for Windows only. There are some pretty good WYSIWYG editors for Linux, if that's an option.

Rich

If you're used to using FrontPage, you can try out its replacement - MS Expression. They have a download trial version from the MS site. Can't remember what the restrictions to the 'trial' is, but I'm pretty sure you can save files with it.

If you're used to using FrontPage, you can try out its replacement - MS Expression. They have a download trial version from the MS site. Can't remember what the restrictions to the 'trial' is, but I'm pretty sure you can save files with it.
Thanks. Expression also chokes on my file. I ended up just writing my excerpts by hand.

Try: http://www.nvu.com/

Why is it so large? What are you planning on snipping out? If it were me I'd probably write a script to strip out the parts I didn't want.

Hmmm... I didn't know there was such a thing as NVU for Windows. Had Peggy expressed interest in a Linux solution to her situation, NVU was going to me my first suggestion.

I still love DW, though. Microsoft should be thankful. DW and the rest of the Studio suite is one of the main reasons I still run Windows at all. I haven't (yet) been able to get all the components running to my satisfaction under WiNE.

Rich

Try: http://www.nvu.com/

Why is it so large? What are you planning on snipping out? If it were me I'd probably write a script to strip out the parts I didn't want.
Long answer:

It is the end of a six-month testing cycle and the Test Management software that we use (Quality Center by Hewlett-Packard,formerly Mercury International) creates its reports in your choice of text format or HTML. Now, after six months of repeated runs it is time to create the report that includes the results of each run of the over 450 separate test cases, including the entire instruction set for each test case. That is the easy part. QC generates the report in just under an hour after the criteria for the report are set up.

But, we have 22 test cases that were not run because they were considered N/A - Not Applicable during the testing phase. Some test features that have changed to the point of making the test irrelevant, others could not be run for other reasons. My management wants a separate report of just those test cases. You would expect that to be simply a matter of filtering for N/A. Certainly I would expect that to be true, but we would both be sadly mistaken and madly searching for a way to extricate 22 test cases that are interspersed among 450 others without making spaghetti of 5 megs of HTML code.

As an example, here are lines 296407 through 296432 of the file.
Code:
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>