Needed: Great Gifts for a Glider Geek

P

PilotGF

Hi -

I'm new here, and signed up to get gift ideas for my boyfriend who is an avid glider pilot. I can't give too many details because he's probably on here now, but I would love all your expert advice. Who knows...I could be your girlfriend so send me good ideas!

PM me for specifics about the pilot, his glider or to ask questions.

Thanks for all your help!

PilotGF

Well if the average "Iowa Glider Pilot" is any indication some Crown royal would be good :)

What kind of price range? What kind of goodies does he already have?

"Who knows...I could be your girlfriend" good thing my wife is not signed up but I'm delusional enough to rack my brain on that one for a few minutes.

If you're looking in the few hundred dollar range and he doesn't already have one a hand held radio or GPS would be the "how the heck did you know" gift.

Joe

speaking as a glider pilot id love to get some shirts like these: http://store.ssa.org/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=350 and some white pants, cargo like with a bunch of pockets, semi-lightweight fabric.

a good floppy hat with a smallish brim around the front but long in the back to cover the neck would be nice. helps prevent the sunburn but still allows good visibility.

if he wears glasses and doesnt have any set him up with some prescription sunglasses. do some research on the web or maybe the rec.aviation.soaring newsgroup (groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.soaring) for info on the best tint. I've seen lots of guys with sort of a red/pink tint.

A SPOT tracker if you don't like to drive the chase vehicle and wonder where he is while he is flying around on the weekends. If he doesnt already have one of course.

Winter is comming up. Winning II by George Moffatt is a good book. Also I've been enjoying reading Once Upon a Thermal by Dick Wolters. Not sure if it is still in print. Lots of good soaring books out there.

If you are looking for places to shop, Paul Remde runs Cumulus Soaring and has a wide selection of glider geek stuff. www.cumulus-soaring.com Also Tom Knauff has an equally large supply of stuff. www.eglider.org I think.

You could always just spend a few weekends at the airport with him, helping out, if you don't already of course. I know that I really like having my favorite person at the airport to help me assemble and get launched is about the best gift I could ask for. Its also awesome to hear her voice on the radio when she's driving the chase vehicle. For a glider pilot having your significant other to send you off and be there when you land is pretty much nirvana.

Last edited:
Hi -

I'm new here, and signed up to get gift ideas for my boyfriend who is an avid glider pilot. I can't give too many details because he's probably on here now, but I would love all your expert advice. Who knows...I could be your girlfriend so send me good ideas!

PilotGF

The wife won't be happy about this. :D:cornut:

How about a bunch of bon fires next time he goes up?

Sorry...it's late and I'm a bit punchy at the moment and it seemed like a brilliant idea...but he would probably appreciate the extra thermals...

a good floppy hat with a smallish brim around the front but long in the back to cover the neck would be nice. helps prevent the sunburn but still allows good visibility.

Don't forget to put it out in the street and run it over a few times with the car first so it has some 'character'...

Also Tom Knauff has an equally large supply of stuff. www.eglider.org I think.

www.eglider.org is right, but the link you have under sends you to www.eglider.com which doesn't seem to get there...

Hi -

PilotGF

I know for a fact this is not the case.

4 cases of empty Gatorade bottles could work though.

what type of glider?
a cheap used IPAQ or similar pda with a blue tooth gps receiver running any variety of available soaring software, some software is free

a paid subscription to soaring weather forecast program like XCSkies?

Back