Need to pick a sales managers brain

Flyboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Kinney
I've just been promoted to vice president of my company (yay me! - wait, no raise... oh well).... and one of my areas is integrating old manual systems into the new (to them) computer world.

Don't ask why it took so long, I've only been here 2 years... anyway..

One of the problem areas relates to sales reps. If any any one has worked as a sales manager, or is familiar with typical "rules" for sales reps, pop me your number if you can stand a phone call.

Thanks!

I've just been promoted to vice president of my company (yay me! - wait, no raise... oh well).... and one of my areas is integrating old manual systems into the new (to them) computer world.

Don't ask why it took so long, I've only been here 2 years... anyway..

One of the problem areas relates to sales reps. If any any one has worked as a sales manager, or is familiar with typical "rules" for sales reps, pop me your number if you can stand a phone call.

Thanks!

What sort of selling Ron? In my old consulting job, we had "sales" responsiblity, but we were "selling" $100m+ outsourcing contracts...

Cheers,

-Andrew

As an I.T. Professional, I have to say that your post begs the question...

Do sales managers actually have brains to pick???

(Present company excepted...)

Well first, I am not the sales manager. My main thrust is IT, but Ive assumed management of Customer service, Accounting (I'll just be managing the personel, I'll let them count beans) and of course the integration of old manual systems into better processes and computer programs.

We manufacture and distrubute signage, marking devices (rubber stamps and so forth) corporate kits and supplies etc...

My problem is with integrating the manual sales commission system into a computerized one. They really have no rules and the way the things are figured is well.. no comment. I need info specifically on how long sales reps usually get to retain customers as theirs without calling on them. Right now they drive customer service and accounting nuts looking up to see if accounts are "theirs" that havent ordered in several years and there is no reporting system (we have no sales manager) to have them turn in reports to.

We changed computer systems and software 2 years ago and if a new order comes in right now we have to go look in the old system to see if they have and account and was it theirs. It's causing a lot of extra work. My contention is that's too long to go without ordering to retain an account.

All this relates to streamlining the way commisions are done. If I gave you all the details the way it's done now you'd be shaking your head. (as I've been doing for 2 years)

This sounds really familiar.

Well first, I am not the sales manager. My main thrust is IT, but Ive assumed management of Customer service, Accounting (I'll just be managing the personel, I'll let them count beans) and of course the integration of old manual systems into better processes and computer programs.

We manufacture and distrubute signage, marking devices (rubber stamps and so forth) corporate kits and supplies etc...

My problem is with integrating the manual sales commission system into a computerized one. They really have no rules and the way the things are figured is well.. no comment. I need info specifically on how long sales reps usually get to retain customers as theirs without calling on them. Right now they drive customer service and accounting nuts looking up to see if accounts are "theirs" that havent ordered in several years and there is no reporting system (we have no sales manager) to have them turn in reports to.

We changed computer systems and software 2 years ago and if a new order comes in right now we have to go look in the old system to see if they have and account and was it theirs. It's causing a lot of extra work. My contention is that's too long to go without ordering to retain an account.

All this relates to streamlining the way commisions are done. If I gave you all the details the way it's done now you'd be shaking your head. (as I've been doing for 2 years)

Ron,

I'd be glad to give you my $0.02, from our consulting / sales perspective, but you'll probably also want to find someone who is used to selling Widgets versus Services (where things are far more high touch / lots of follow-up contact).

I'll PM you contact details.

Cheers,

-Andrew

As an I.T. Professional, I have to say that your post begs the question...

Do sales managers actually have brains to pick???

(Present company excepted...)

As an IT professional who worked in exec-consulting and "sales" (we called it business development and intelligence), I can tell you this: IT folks are very good at focus task A or B, but the "sales" types I worked with blew most IT folks out of the water when it came to raw intellectual horsepower.

My $0.02.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I would be, but not in surprise.

I did part of a commissions system for a very large stock brokerage. I know just how insane it gets...

As an IT professional who worked in exec-consulting and "sales" (we called it business development and intelligence), I can tell you this: IT folks are very good at focus task A or B, but the "sales" types I worked with blew most IT folks out of the water when it came to raw intellectual horsepower.

My $0.02.

Cheers,

-Andrew
I agree that many IT folks are very connect point A with point B, and I agree that Sales types typically *are* very sharp.

But it never fails that there's always one who, despite being advised very strongly that the solution they're selling is not only unnecessary, but it actually increases the risk of making the customer service WORSE for the customer (when the service has already been bad), will still adamantly, bullheadedly push for the brand new, never tried and never tested and stupid unjustified extra migration work that the unhappy customer will end up being the guinea pig client during implementation.

Back