Need to get my medical soon

U

Unregistered

I should be starting my PPL training soon and have a few questions.

1. How soon before I start my training should I get my medical?

2. I took Trazadone for problems sleeping about a year ago because of some stress that is no longer an issue and I only took it for two months.

3. I currently take a generic form of Maxide for hypertension that is well controlled with the medication and a baby aspirin every day.

Should I just contact an AME(if that is the right term) or contact Dr. Bruce first. I would hate to screw this up before I get started. I am in my early 40's.

I also need to add to the above post that wear glasses to read. The ones you buy at the pharmacy. Not prescription.

I'd get a proper eye exam by your optometrist first. You're going to want good sharp vision and not have to fiddle around putting on reading glasses to read charts and checklists. You'll probably find that the opto can dial in your distance vision and fix you up with a set of bifocals. You'll ultimately need two pair, one tinted for day and one not for night.

I also need to add to the above post that wear glasses to read. The ones you buy at the pharmacy. Not prescription.

I can't answer the med questions you will have to wait for Bruce or perhaps Gary F to respond but as for the glasses, my AME told me just to bring them with me to the exam. I barely need them and often read without them. They will do the test without the glasses and if you pass your fine. If not they will have you try it with the reading glasses on and if you pass then the medical will just require you to have them with you in the plane. Really not a big deal but if you don't bring them with you to the exam and could pass with them but not without them then you have an issue.

Putting on reading glasses to read isn't a problem on the exam. That's why the near correction restriction is only "must possess" not "must wear."

Unreg.

You need a letter from the prescribing doc that says Trazadone was used for sleep for some transitional issues, dates of use, that the issues are gone and that you have no need of further treatment.

For hypertension, that letter has to also say:

"Well controlled hypertension.
No known coronary issues
No side effects"

You need an EKG (recent) that can't have right, or Left bundle branch block on it (if you have that you need a treadmill run 9 mins to (220-YourAge)*.9 heart rate, in addition).

A serum potassium, a serum creatinine, a fasting serum glucose and a fasting lipid profile.

ANY AME worth AME-101 should be able to issue this if you present all these to him.

BC.

Thank you for the replies, especially to Dr. Bruce. I will what you said. Thank you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back