Need some recomendations!

swingwing

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Swingwing
For my birthday, my Mon has offered to watch the rug rats so Lauren and I can get away for a weekend. We would like to fly to a nice B&B or resort with some fun suff to do locally. It needs to be in the Northeast or Mid Atlantic region. I was thinking either Block Island or Tangier. Wherever we end up I would like to avoid having to rent a car to get around. Any Suggestion?

For my birthday, my Mon has offered to watch the rug rats so Lauren and I can get away for a weekend. We would like to fly to a nice B&B or resort with some fun suff to do locally. It needs to be in the Northeast or Mid Atlantic region. I was thinking either Block Island or Tangier. Wherever we end up I would like to avoid having to rent a car to get around. Any Suggestion?

If you like beach and don't want to get a car - Ocracoke (W95).

Gary

Flying W in New Jersey, or
7 Springs in PA

Both Nice!

I would take block island over tangier anyday! Someone mentioned Ocracoke, great place and everything in walking distance. I also like the nags head,nc area (KMQI) but I can't make those rounds without a rental. Besides, with the rental you can go explore Kitty hawk or you can make the quick hop in the plane. You can also make a lunch run to Ocrakoke (by air) in 30 minutes from Nags Head. So many choices! What would your Bride like to see and do???......that may be the key!

Last edited:
You might consider Newport RI (UUU). The airport is not really walking distance to B&B's and everything that there is to see but it's relatively close to everything and I think you will have a lot more to do in Newport then just the beach. There are some B&B's in some of the converted mansions that are nice and my personal favorite for best clam chowder is the Black Pearl on Bowen Warf in the heart of Newport. If you do decide to get a car then up in Fall River MA, around 25 miles or so away is a maritime museum with a WW2 battleShip that is a fun tour. www.battleshipcove.com If the wife is not in to that sort of things there is lots of shopping and arts and craft in downtown Newport that is all walkable

Depending on when your going to do this, Block Island (BI) starts to wind down quickly after labor day. Some shops actually close!

Another consideration would be Martha's Vineyard. More to see, do and I think you will find better rates on lodging. In addittion, MVY has a very easy to use Public bus system (MVT) so NO car is needed.

On Tangier Island, you definitely don't have to worry about rental cars -- there aren't any, because the island is just too small for cars to be needed. However, if you are looking for a quiet "just the two of us" getaway, a TGI B&B might do. See http://www.tangierisland-va.com/ for more. BTW -- no fuel at TGI, so plan accordingly.

I vote for Ocracoke. We fly there pretty often for a weekend, or occasionally just for lunch. It helps that everything is within walking distance. When we have bags, we call Howard's Pub on Unicom and they come pick us up in the golf cart. After eating lunch, whatever Condo we are staying at comes and gets up and our bags. After that, it is very easy to just walk or rent bikes around the town.

Tangier Island is only good for maybe three hours (including lunch!).

Wells

I've got a family cottage on Block Island (just got back from a week there), and have been to Ocracoke, Tangier, Vineyard, Nantucket, Ocean City, and Myrtle Beach.

Want to swim in warmer water - go to Ocracoke or Myrtle Beach. If you don't mind the cooler water, go to Block Island. Make the effort to have breakfast at the airport restaurant - it's that good. I recommend the Beachhead restaurant for serious meals, they have a great kitchen.

Back