Need some help figuring this out -

jaybee

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jaybee
Hi all, I'm trying to come up with a game plan to use my resources most efficiently. I am a Commercial Rotorcraft-Helicopter with Instrument Rating and Private Single Engine Land rated pilot (I may add PSES to that :) ). I am thinking about switching to the dark-side and hop into a regional jet. Please, leave that last part for a different days discussion :D ;)

So I currently have 1158 total time, mostly in helicopters.
What I need to accomplish -
  1. 342 Total Hours
  2. 50 Multi-Engine Hours
  3. 60 Night Hours
  4. Instrument Hours, unsure here - I need 75 Total and have 50 Simulated, nothing was said about actual....
  5. 314 XC Hours or 14*
  6. 205 PIC Airplane
  7. 94 PIC XC Airplane
  8. 21 PIC Night Airplane
  9. Multi-Engine ATP or
  10. Multi-Engine Commercial/Instrument and ATP Written
*14 XC Hours to get Restricted ATP.

Resources available to me is the remainder of my Montgomery GI Bill, one year of Post 9/11 GI Bill when I exhaust Montgomery and lastly a modestly fat chunk of change.

One of the things that confuse me is most courses I look at that are GI Bill approved aren't designed for people doing an "Add-on". So while doing a full-course isn't a bad idea to "build hours" I think I should be able to find another time builder to split costs with that will cost a lot less. It also further complicates trying to use your GI Bill when you don't want to do the full course, it ruins their completion rates. Also, "add-on" courses that I have found are meant to add-on comm to your single, would it matter though ? Am I just way overthinking this ? :goofy:

Thanks for any ideas and help,
Jeff

Last edited:
I would start with GI Bill for Commercial/multi/inst airplane. (do you have to re checkride for instrument-airplane or does rotorcraft carry over???)If you do the flights correctly, you could knock out a big chunk of those minimums, for Night, XC PIC, etc.

After that if you can get a job flying anything to help finish the requirements that would work. Or just pay for time building to do the time as cheap as possible. If you have enough GI Bill left or GI bill and cash do a 'program' for ATP and get the rets of the minimums done.

Some place in AZ or FL if you have location flexibility would allow that to be done quickly.

Good luck.

Better check on that VA funding. Flight training was suspended last check. But ER or U of O has a program that would probably work as its a BS degree program, not Voc training. I flew into Norman, ok last week and it was in full swing.

I would start with GI Bill for Commercial/multi/inst airplane. (do you have to re checkride for instrument-airplane or does rotorcraft carry over???)If you do the flights correctly, you could knock out a big chunk of those minimums, for Night, XC PIC, etc.

After that if you can get a job flying anything to help finish the requirements that would work. Or just pay for time building to do the time as cheap as possible. If you have enough GI Bill left or GI bill and cash do a 'program' for ATP and get the rets of the minimums done.

Some place in AZ or FL if you have location flexibility would allow that to be done quickly.

Good luck.

Rotorcraft Instrument does not carry over and is one of the dilemmas. Smart money would be to do your Instrument ride in a Multi engine which automagically gives single engine instrument privileges though the reverse isn't true. I think I may just have to bite the bullet in some instances and do it the least efficient (financially) way.

Better check on that VA funding. Flight training was suspended last check. But ER or U of O has a program that would probably work as its a BS degree program, not Voc training. I flew into Norman, ok last week and it was in full swing.

Montgomery Bill unaffected that I know of and I was under the assumption that the Post 9/11 for vocational was still a go ( the Helicopter GI Bill fiasco centered around the "in conjuction with a degree program", which allowed students to rack up ridiculous "lab fees" )

I thought instrument was different.
so basically you are a SEL PP and want to go to ATP airplane.

Start with IR/comm/multi and see what you need after that. After that with your rotor/total time you might actually be able to get a decent flying job, DZ, 135 etc and get paid for going to ATP mins.

The only restriction I'm aware of is that you must be enrolled in either an accredited college or university degree program, or a designated part 141 school. Just make sure you get your VA approval before plunking down a bunch of money. A good part 141 school will have a financial aid counselor that will be able to walk you through the VA benefit claim process. If you have trouble, find out who the VA counselor is in your area:

http://www.va.gov/osdbu/verification/assistance/counselors.asp

Resources available to me is the remainder of my Montgomery GI Bill, one year of Post 9/11 GI Bill when I exhaust Montgomery and lastly a modestly fat chunk of change.

How are you able to utilize both Montgomery and Post-9/11 GI Bills?

As someone who was eligible for Montgomery, I was told I had to either opt for the post-9/11 or keep the Montgomery.

How are you able to utilize both Montgomery and Post-9/11 GI Bills?

As someone who was eligible for Montgomery, I was told I had to either opt for the post-9/11 or keep the Montgomery.

I gained Montgomery through my original enlistment, I earned the 9/11 through recent deployment. So yes, I originally opted for the Montgomery.

The only restriction I'm aware of is that you must be enrolled in either an accredited college or university degree program, or a designated part 141 school. Just make sure you get your VA approval before plunking down a bunch of money. A good part 141 school will have a financial aid counselor that will be able to walk you through the VA benefit claim process. If you have trouble, find out who the VA counselor is in your area:

http://www.va.gov/osdbu/verification/assistance/counselors.asp

I believe he is referring to this -

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-me-adv-gibill-20150315-story.html#page=1

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-flight-schools-20150627-story.html

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/475

I thought instrument was different.

so basically you are a SEL PP and want to go to ATP airplane. Yes or Multi with Instrument and meet requirements of ATP mins with written done works also

Start with IR/comm/multi and see what you need after that. After that with your rotor/total time you might actually be able to get a decent flying job, DZ, 135 etc and get paid for going to ATP mins.

Getting the XC, Night and Multi time I guess are my main concerns. I have the means to pay for it all if need be.

If you do the Instrument Airplane rating in a single, all you need do is the single engine approach on your ME checkride and the IA is good for multis.

IA carries over to gliders, rotocraft is a different story.

If you do the Instrument Airplane rating in a single, all you need do is the single engine approach on your ME checkride and the IA is good for multis.

Is that a common practice then ? How does that work, does the DPE submit it to the FAA ? do I fill another 8710 ?

So it looks like Instrument---> Single Comm ---> Multi Comm/Inst---> Time build or work---> CTP course for the written ---> Regional, would suit my needs.

Is there any validity to this statement - "You must complete all of the course, step by step" in reference to a 141 program ? (this was told to me at the Aero Club on base years ago)

I guess 141 just doesn't make sense to me. Meet the requirements, train to proficiency and take the test makes more sense to me. I guess for a brand new pilot 141 makes sense but I feel like I would be wasting my GI Bill because I can time build cheaper then taking lessons. I think some of it may have to do with school wanting to maintain its pass/fail rate also ?

Hi all, I'm trying to come up with a game plan to use my resources most efficiently. I am a Commercial Rotorcraft-Helicopter with Instrument Rating and Private Single Engine Land rated pilot (I may add PSES to that :) ). I am thinking about switching to the dark-side and hop into a regional jet. Please, leave that last part for a different days discussion :D ;)

So I currently have 1158 total time, mostly in helicopters.
What I need to accomplish -
  1. 342 Total Hours
  2. 50 Multi-Engine Hours
  3. 60 Night Hours
  4. Instrument Hours, unsure here - I need 75 Total and have 50 Simulated, nothing was said about actual....
  5. 314 XC Hours or 14*
  6. 205 PIC Airplane
  7. 94 PIC XC Airplane
  8. 21 PIC Night Airplane
  9. Multi-Engine ATP or
  10. Multi-Engine Commercial/Instrument and ATP Written
*14 XC Hours to get Restricted ATP.

One of the things that confuse me is most courses I look at that are GI Bill approved aren't designed for people doing an "Add-on". So while doing a full-course isn't a bad idea to "build hours" I think I should be able to find another time builder to split costs with that will cost a lot less. It also further complicates trying to use your GI Bill when you don't want to do the full course, it ruins their completion rates. Also, "add-on" courses that I have found are meant to add-on comm to your single, would it matter though ? Am I just way overthinking this ? :goofy:

Thanks for any ideas and help,
Jeff

You need a 141 school for the GI Bill stuff IIRC. Some of them are "menu only" and some are able to work with requirements, so call around and talk to the management before you discount any possibilities on account of the advertising.

Any PIREPS on American Winds flight school ?

It says they actually have VA approved "add-on" courses, so far that's the only one I've found - http://www.teachmetofly.com/ContentPage.aspx?ID=1537

Also, any leads on cheap multi-time ?

The cheapest way to build significant multi time is to buy a twin and put it to work as an MEI selling others insignificant amounts of multi time.

Back