Need Recos for Handheld Scanner

HeatherCFI

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
HeatherCFI
I'm going to the Red Bull Air Races in San Diego May 9-10. I'd like to purchase a handheld scanner that I can bring with me, and I'd also like to use it at AirVenture and Nascar races. I'd like to keep it around $100. Any suggestions?

If you want a scanner, Radio Shack has a good selection at a fair price. But if it were me, I would op for a good handheld transceiver from Icon or Vertex, that way it could be used as a backup or to communicate with a solo student.

that way it could be used as a backup or to communicate with a solo student.

That's a great idea. :smile: I think I'll go that route. Is this something I could purchase at Radio Shack? I'd like to take a look at it before purchasing.

That's a great idea. :smile: I think I'll go that route. Is this something I could purchase at Radio Shack? I'd like to take a look at it before purchasing.
Radio Shack will not have the handheld transceiver, Ebay is your best bet, you can find new and used ones on there at some good prices.

The transceiver idea is a very good one I have an Icom A3. Icom does have some newer ones now.

However one good thing about a dedicated scanner is you can't accidentally sit on the transmit button. You don't want to be the one blocking all of the transmissions at an airshow. Very embarrassing and perhaps even dangerous to have everyone listen to you order a hot dog.

Brian

You don't want to be the one blocking all of the transmissions at an airshow. Very embarrassing and perhaps even dangerous to have everyone listen to you order a hot dog.

Brian

Tru dat!

I'll take a look at some of the transceivers. Thanks!

Both Icom and Vertex Standard make great radios. I've used both in amateur radio.

Pacific/Gulf Coast Avionics sells the Icom radios at cost before they pay the eBay/Paypal fees. Why, no one knows. As a loss-leader, they wouldn't entice me for in-panel avionics. So, it really makes no sense.

I used to sell them by eBay but it ended up not being worth it except for a few local folks where I was paid cash.

Back