Need recomendations for Charleston SC

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Headed to Charleston SC in several weeks for a few days to celebrate my anniversary Not familiar with the town but have always wanted to visit. (unfortunately not flying GA)

Looking for some recommendations for some great restaurants (will be staying near the French quarter and the harbor) and so cool things to do. already have the hotel booked. I can turn to Trip Advisor if needed but wanted to check here first.

T-Bonz for a good steak. Dessert is walked over from next door at Kaminskis (sp?). Wild wings used to be good back in the day. Might still be.
Drive over to Mount Pleasant and find Shem creek. Have lunch on the deck by the dock. There is a nice inexpensive place right next to an extremely expensive place on the north side. The restaurant on the end (nearest the bay) on the south side is good also.
If you have any car trouble while you are there the Firestone in Mount Pleasant is honest and good.

I added an annotated Google Maps shot of Shem Creek.

Jim

Attachments

• Shem Creek.jpg
    Shem Creek.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Patriot's Point to see USS Yorktown & Ft Sumter.

Restaurants? Just go in the heart of downtown. All of them are good.

The aircraft carrier is a must see.Second T bonz, and also like sticky fingers

I live in Mt Pleasant. What style of restaurant are you looking for?

Headed to Charleston SC in several weeks for a few days to celebrate my anniversary Not familiar with the town but have always wanted to visit. (unfortunately not flying GA)

Looking for some recommendations for some great restaurants (will be staying near the French quarter and the harbor) and so cool things to do. already have the hotel booked. I can turn to Trip Advisor if needed but wanted to check here first.
I see my earlier message. Tapatalk just locked up

Last edited:
I live in Mt Pleasant. What style of restaurant are you looking for?

We Are staying near the French quarter and near the harbor at the northern tip of waterfront park ,but will be without a car since it seems more cost effective to take a cab from the airport. Is a car recommended or is most stuff within walking distance?

As for type of food, well its a combo 25th anniversary 50th birthday trip so we'd like to eat well and aren't really looking for the burger shack unless there is one that might be awesome for lunch. Italian, Seafood and American are all good as are steaks.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with any of the Maverick restaurants ( www.mavericksouthernkitchens.com) or this group ( http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com). Another place we just discovered which is definitely off the beaten path but not to far from you is a place called Chez Nous. https://m.facebook.com/cheznouscharleston?_rdr. A bit tough to find even if you know where it is. I try to stay away from the Market street restaurants myself. If you want to venture over to Mt P I can expand the list some more. I personally hate driving downtown. As long as the weather is nice you can walk or take a pedicab most places.

We Are staying near the French quarter and near the harbor at the northern tip of waterfront park ,but will be without a car since it seems more cost effective to take a cab from the airport. Is a car recommended or is most stuff within walking distance?

As for type of food, well its a combo 25th anniversary 50th birthday trip so we'd like to eat well and aren't really looking for the burger shack unless there is one that might be awesome for lunch. Italian, Seafood and American are all good as are steaks.

Get a car...for sure.

The food choices are pretty darn good...I will also chime in for T-Bonz...great place...

What dates? PM me if you don't want to announce your vacation to the world.

Get a car.

Go to Poe's on Sullivan's Island.(might check to make sure they haven't closed for the season).

Patriots Point is must see. Take the carriage ride through the city as well.

Some recommended spots on my last trip, all recommended...

Husk (pricy, but worth it) downtown
Bowen Island Seafood (a shack, a line, but worth it)
Boulevard Cafe (great diner/breakfast/brunch) mt pleasant
Home team BBQ Sullivan's island

We had a car, and it was worth it to get around to some of the outlying spots

Was just there for my 25th. Flew into KJZI and the FBO there was great. They guided me to a parking spot and pulled the rental car right next to the Mooney. They unloaded my bags and put them in the trunk. Great service. The self-serve is on the other side of the field but told them I would gas up there on my way out and they waived all fees. Thought I might have to go get gas and come back with a receipt but they said 'we trust you'. For dinner we went to 82 Queen, High Cotton, and Fleet Landing. I think I liked 82 Queen best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good post Adam! I'm looking forward to all the info shared here so I can plan accordingly.

Mary and I are headed to Charleston in November then on to Jupiter Florida, we need some time off. Besides, 08Romeo really needs to spread her wings after all the beach runs this year.

Been going to Charleston at least yearly for 25+ years (SpoletoUSA Festival),

If you're staying on the peninsula, you definitely do NOT need nor want a car - everything's in walking or PediCab distance.
Recommended restaurants: High Cotton, Blossoms, Hanks Seafood, Muse, Poogans Porch for lunch, FIG, Burwells.
Most of these need reservations, on Open Table.

Avoid the usual Touristy places like Hymans, Sticky Fingers, anyplace on Market Street (except Burwells), Magnolias.
First time visitors should do the Carriage Ride thing to get the lay of the land in the Peninsula and a history lesson from the guide. Spend some time in the swings at the riverside park - likely see porpoises.

Where you staying? Recommend Indigo Inn - ask for Ignacious at front desk - he will treat y'all right.

Have fun in "the Friendliest Town in America"!

Been going to Charleston at least yearly for 25+ years (SpoletoUSA Festival),

If you're staying on the peninsula, you definitely do NOT need nor want a car - everything's in walking or PediCab distance.
Recommended restaurants: High Cotton, Blossoms, Hanks Seafood, Muse, Poogans Porch for lunch, FIG, Burwells.
Most of these need reservations, on Open Table.

Avoid the usual Touristy places like Hymans, Sticky Fingers, anyplace on Market Street (except Burwells), Magnolias.
First time visitors should do the Carriage Ride thing to get the lay of the land in the Peninsula and a history lesson from the guide. Spend some time in the swings at the riverside park - likely see porpoises.

Where you staying? Recommend Indigo Inn - ask for Ignacious at front desk - he will treat y'all right.

Have fun in "the Friendliest Town in America"!

As a multi time visitor to Charleston, this post gets it all right.

One thing I will add is that it is worth a couple of hours to take a guided walking tour. They generally leave from the Meeting Street Inn. You can do history tours, architectural tours, etc. You'll get a lot better views and a lot more information that way than on the carriage rides.

Adam, off topic but I second the aircraft carrier, have a great trip and report back about the restaurants you decide upon!

I know you said you weren't flying this time but for future reference I'll second what Hector said. KJZI is great. Fuel is a little pricier there but their service is awesome. They even have a concierge to help you secure lodging and they have agreements with several places that will save you a few dollars.

Everywhere we dined there was good with one exception. We kept hearing about how good Hymans Seafood was. That place is nothing less than RANCID!!:vomit:
Most Godawful "seafood" I've ever tried to eat! And expensive:mad: Avoid it like the clap!

I know you said you weren't flying this time but for future reference I'll second what Hector said. KJZI is great. Fuel is a little pricier there but their service is awesome. They even have a concierge to help you secure lodging and they have agreements with several places that will save you a few dollars.

Everywhere we dined there was good with one exception. We kept hearing about how good Hymans Seafood was. That place is nothing less than RANCID!!:vomit:
Most Godawful "seafood" I've ever tried to eat! And expensive:mad: Avoid it like the clap!
Haha! Yep good ol Hymans. Definitely one of the better known tourist traps. To be fair it, along with Aaron's, used to be decent places. JZI is the easiest airport in the area to fly in and out of. LRO isn't bad as long as the wind isn't coming from the SW

Haha! Yep good ol Hymans. Definitely one of the better known tourist traps. To be fair it, along with Aaron's, used to be decent places. W

"used to be":no:- not as recently as 25 years ago - always a sucky touristy eatery IMHO.
Hope the OP saw posts 17 & 18, prior to taking his wife to the touristy places for their anniversary trip.
Charleston has so much more to offer.

"used to be":no:- not as recently as 25 years ago - always a sucky touristy eatery IMHO.
Hope the OP saw posts 17 & 18, prior to taking his wife to the touristy places for their anniversary trip.
Charleston has so much more to offer.
It was at least that long ago that I ate there and had a decent meal

The family was thinking of Charleston as well. But between Christmas and New Year's. Is the town open or is it shut down for Christmas?

The family was thinking of Charleston as well. But between Christmas and New Year's. Is the town open or is it shut down for Christmas?

It's small city that is built on "the finer things in life" and hospitality. There will be things open.

Not everything will be open, but there will be choices.

We did Xmas there a few years ago. Had a great time.

If you are interested, the churches there do great Christmas Eve services.

So, Adam, how was your Charleston trip? Highlights?

Back