need PC (gak, puke, choke) advice

judypilot said:
Thanks for all the advice. You can stop now. I've decided to see how much of a problem it really is to get updates when I need them before I do anything rash like buy a PC.

Best,
Judy

You beat me to it... opening the Pandora's Box of Windows PC ownership when all you need is a periodic data update just doesn't make sense. In short order you'd be spending 20 hours a month maintaining a PC so that you could then do a 15 minute update. Surely you have a friend that will give you access to their PC once in a while?

Dan

Len Lanetti said:
With regards to running Windows on a MAC and making it work...I might be tempted to try it if I had already gone through the trouble and expense of making Windows run on a MAC but my gut tells me that there is just enough glitches in that kind of Rube Goldberg contraption where it is going to be trouble getting to work the first time and with iffy dependability.

Len,

Last week, despite their initial insistence that they would not do so, Apple came out with a piece of software called "Boot Camp" that basically sets everything up for you to do a Windows/OS X dual boot on the new Macintels automatically. "Rube Goldberg" no longer applies.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Judy, would this work for you, now that it's easy? I sure hope so. I'm a Mac diehard, and the only reason I have Virtual PC is to run things like the Garmin simulator. (It works just fine, BTW.)

judypilot said:
Thanks for all the advice. You can stop now.
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!! You know better than that! Once you toss a thread out there, there's no calling it back! Just like the Energizer bunny, this thing will just keep going and going and going and ... :D

DeeG said:
We picked up an Avertec laptop for trips.
That's what I did too. In fact, it's what I'm typing on now. Small is good and I travel quite a bit. I had some reservations about buying a brand I had never heard of but so far it's done OK. I've only had it for a couple months, though.

The only complaint I have is about the speakers. They are the worst I have ever heard. To listen to music I use headphones.

Everskyward said:
That's what I did too. In fact, it's what I'm typing on now. Small is good and I travel quite a bit. I had some reservations about buying a brand I had never heard of but so far it's done OK. I've only had it for a couple months, though.

The only complaint I have is about the speakers. They are the worst I have ever heard. To listen to music I use headphones.

We've been pleased with the computer. Had it for about two years. We use it on trips and keep it at the shop so Pete can surf the net using the aircard (which doesn't work at home...). We look at it as a disposable computer. It was cheap enough so it won't hurt too bad if we drop it or spill coffee on it. But its held up quite well despite all the abuse we put it through. They only problems we've had with it is that the "paint" is coming off the cover and the battery has to be held in with duct tape. We don't use the speakers very often, so I haven't noticed anythng with them.

Dee

jangell said:
What is *most* likely to happen to a laptop to cause it to fail? You are going to drop it.. you are going to spill something on it..or you are going to break something off. The Performance Service Plan will not cover any of that, either will the manufacturer. Infact if you bring your laptop into Best Buy and they send it in for service, and they find that any one of those happened. They will call you back with a quote of about $1,000. If you don't accept that quote you owe Best Buy $159 JUST for looking at it and discovering your abuse.. They won't give your laptop back unless you pay that.

Well, actually, the service contract I purchased is supposed to cover stupid operator tricks that result in physical damage, as well. We'll see how it works out. Right now the thing works like gangbusters. I'll buy my batteries through my son-in-law who is in the business.

Everskyward said:

The speakers on my IBM Thinkpad aren't that great either.

Back