Need Omaha pre-buy FAST

Pa28-140

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gordon Shumway
Can anybody recommend a mechanic in Omaha Nebraskawho could do a reasonable pre-buy inspection of a 2006 SR22? My boss is running full speed ahead with a purchase and we will not be able to get it to a Cirrus Service Center. We do need a reliable mechanic though. I know, I know, this isn't the way I would do it either, but at the end of the day I'm not writing the checks. I'm playing the cards that I have been dealt. Thanks for understanding and please respond with any recommendations. :mad2:

I second Silver Hawk. Several great A&Ps that specialize in Cirrus aircraft.

Last I heard Silverhawk was way backed up. I don't think you're going to squeeze a quality pre-buy in there very-last-minute.

Jetsun Aviation up the road in SUX Sioux City SD...not really that far from OMA.

Jetsun Aviation Centre
vchicoine@jetsun.com

They did most of the annuals for a Cirrus I used to manage/fly for some doctors a few years ago. They really do great work and Id be willing to bet my paycheck they could pull this off.

I REALLY recommend going to a Cirrus Service Center and not a shade-tree guy on this. The Cirrus has some things that really need to be dealt with by someone who knows the airplane inside and out. Some parts might even be covered by Cirrus if the plane is still under warranty during this pre-buy/annual.Moreover, the maintenance history for the plane can all be pulled digitally when it was under warranty and serviced at a CSC which might be nice to contrast against the logs.

Last edited:
Last I heard Silverhawk was way backed up. I don't think you're going to squeeze a quality pre-buy in there very-last-minute.

Indeed, I was fortunate to get my Cherokee serviced there today...when they stacked the shop it was plum full this evening.

I think on a prebuy they would get it in within day or so. Gene just got back from cirrus factory friday. Silverhawk would be my choice in this situation. Won't hurt to give them jingle and they are only 20 min from omaha by air.

Thanks for the replies. As it turns out, the deal fell through. The owner wouldn't accept a deposit of earnest money. He wanted $25K down and expected it to be non-refundable if we rejected the airplane after the pre-buy inspection. Thanks, but no.

I will say that the folks at Classic Aviation in Pella, Iowa were absolutely awesome in being available for the pre-buy to be done in Omaha. You couldn't possibly find nicer people with reasonable shop rates. They believe in earning someone's business and they certainly have mine.

Thanks for all of the responses. The search for an airplane continues.

Thanks for the replies. As it turns out, the deal fell through. The owner wouldn't accept a deposit of earnest money. He wanted $25K down and expected it to be non-refundable if we rejected the airplane after the pre-buy inspection. Thanks, but no.
Insane.

Stuff like that is a giant red flag. I would have stopped negotiating right then and ran away. Consider yourself lucky.

I know when I was buying my plane I had to look at a lot of ugly ducks before I found my swan.

Only way I can make sense of that kind of response is if the seller had another buyer who was already well along the sales process - or he thinks he has such a hot item that he can afford to be picky. The latter is hard to believe in this market.

Do you mind sharing the posting for the cirrus? I want to make sure I dont run into the same owner as Im in the same market.

Thanks.

or he thinks he has such a hot item that he can afford to be picky. The latter is hard to believe in this market.

He needs to get real...they are all over the place and they look the same for the most part...hard to compete against the Cirrus Certified Used brokerages right now that offer a warranty, training, insurance..etc...it blows my mind when I look at a Controller any more...COLD HARD TRUTH..a majority of the used marker on the SR-22's are barley worth 225k..yet there are all kinds of 2006 models with >1000TT asking 300+..and they have been for sale for a very long time.

I have a friend who's business partner is seriously loaded, cash-wise.

The guy puts a For Sale sign on everything he buys the day he gets it home with the price he paid for it plus 10%.

The two strangest things I've ever seen him sell were a 200' crane he bought to bid on some tower work that no one else wanted and/or knew about that he used for various odd jobs and rented out to friends for a couple of years, and his Class C motorhome.

The crane made him serious money. He used the crane to remove gear from old tower sites, then purchased two sites with the proceeds from that work. Continued cleanup of the buildings and fixed 'em up, and companies then bought the sites from him at a profit. He's always doing crazy stuff like that. Hopelessly addicted to weird projects only he seems to figure out.

Flipping houses looks easy compared to the commercial properties he flips. Radio tower sites? Yep. My guesstimate was that he made $300K after sitting on them for a couple years. Not including site rents by tenants in-between.

Both the crane and the RV had people call him from the For Sale signs and hand him cash for them. They "had" to have them.

He got to use them both for roughly two years for free even including fuel and maintenance. Maybe his only loss would be insurance.

Crazy. There's a sucker born every minute as P.T. Barnum said.

I doubt this technique works with airplanes very often.

Back