Need help with my crosswind landings.

Giannid

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Gianni
I just recently passed my private check ride about a month ago and did most of training in a 172. I'm part owners of a Beech Sierra and have been transitioning back to that plane for the last month. I'm checked out in it already but I'm really not happy with my cross wind landings and it seems there's always a crosswind. I've trained with two different instructors in this plane but still don't feel like I have it. Thinking of training with someone else to help me with it. Basically the style I've been learning is crabbing down till I get over the runway, then using the slip method for the landing. Still having a problem straightening out the plane with the rudder before I land. Anyone have any tips or advice for me on this problem?

You could try slipping the plane earlier when you turn final, so that you are already in the slip when you roundout.

Does the sierra have the rubber doughnut landing gear like the musketeer? That gear is adequate, but its not known for great handling qualities. Its probably always going to skip and skitter around just a little bit more than a 172 or bonanza with a gusty crosswind.

Also, are you getting it slow enough before touching down? What airspeeds are you flying on final, over the threshold etc?

I finished my low wing checkout just after getting my private in about 2 hours but it took me about 15 to really get everything nailed down. And that is in a piper warrior - known for its easy flying and good landing gear

It really is a personal preference. I crab about half way down on final then transition to a slip because ultimately I will land that way and want that dialed in before I am over the numbers. I like to get the plane stabilized in a slip and land wheel down into the wind.

Remember to keep the aileron into the wind on rollout.

Try dipping the wing instead of crabbing. Even touching one wheel down to stop drift off the center line.

Practice, practice, practice.

Yep, it sure does have the rubber dough nut landing gear. It's stout but very rough handling. Also, I was told it's better to slip over the runway because you're cross controlled and could get in trouble on final if you're not careful. At least you're over the runway and if anything happens it's saffer there than a few hundred feet in the air on final.

Yep, it sure does have the rubber dough nut landing gear. It's stout but very rough handling. Also, I was told it's better to slip over the runway because you're cross controlled and could get in trouble on final if you're not careful. At least you're over the runway and if anything happens it's saffer there than a few hundred feet in the air on final.

I don't agree with whomever told you this bit of information. It is standard practice. Just watch your airspeed, and you'll be fine. Waiting to kick out over the runway is probably causing your problems.

First significant quote:
Chico: "Doctor, doctor, it hoits when I do dis."
Groucho: "Then don't do dis."
Second significant quote:
Passerby: "Excuse me, sir, how do you get to Carnegie Hall?"
Maestro Arturo Toscanini: "Practice, my boy, practice."

If you're having trouble with the late kick out of the crab, don't wait that long. Start the slip early and get the feel of the wind effects using bank to manage lateral movement and rudder to keep the nose pointed straight down the runway. By starting early, you'll get more time on final practicing that control, and that will make you better at it.

The Sundowner I was checked out it had an interconnect between the rudder and the ailerons. It took some extra rudder pedal pressure to slip as compared to the 172. I don't know if the Sierra is the same.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think the Sierra does have an interconnect between the rudder and ailerons. I'm usually at about 80 knots on final. It seems like the Sierra likes to be landed a little faster than slower. Any slower than 80 knots makes for a very hard landing.

Yes you are cross controlled, but it doesn't matter. The missing bit of information is that it's not an issue because you have a RELATIVE wind that works out the aerodynamics for you. Add a little power for the small drag penalty though and you'll be fine.

Same drill cures all landing ills. Using the longest runway you can find, make normal fully-configured descent maintaining centerline. Just before touchdown, add just enough power to fly the length of the runway at 6" AGL. Nearing the end, execute a go-around and do it again. Two passes will normally tell you everything you need to know, and you can land anytime you choose by simply retarding the power by ~100 RPM.

Same drill cures all landing ills. Using the longest runway you can find, make normal fully-configured descent maintaining centerline. Just before touchdown, add just enough power to fly the length of the runway at 6" AGL. Nearing the end, execute a go-around and do it again. Two passes will normally tell you everything you need to know, and you can land anytime you choose by simply retarding the power by ~100 RPM.

My instructor had me do this for a whole lesson pre-solo. I do it in any new plane I fly and then I'm way more comfortable on crosswind landings.

On a day with a good crosswind and a reasonably long runway, practice flying down the runway at a hundred or so feet up holding ground track with aileron and alignment with rudder (a slip). This is the position you want to be in at wheel touchdown.

I think the Sierra does have an interconnect between the rudder and ailerons. I'm usually at about 80 knots on final. It seems like the Sierra likes to be landed a little faster than slower. Any slower than 80 knots makes for a very hard landing.

80 knots? Sounds a bit fast. Isn't that about the Sierra's cruise speed?

:D

I use 85mph on final for my B24. If it's windy then I'll drop the wing into the wind and keep myself aligned with the rudder, but if it's really gusty then I'll crab and transition later, as I find that to be less work if the wind is doing strange things.

80 knots? Sounds a bit fast. Isn't that about the Sierra's cruise speed?

:D

Yes, that sounds waaay fast. 80 mph sound more like it. That is what I have on final in my Arrow and I doubt you need more speed.

It's a 200 hp complex airplane. The cruise speed is for sure not 80 knots. I'm at 80 knots on final. Usually touch down at about 70-75 knots.

I think he was just funnin' you Gianni. I love my B24 Sierra, but I do wish it had the speed of a Panthera.

Yes, I was joking, hence the :D in the post.

However, the 80 knots on final does sound fast, 80 MPH sounds more like it.

Depends which Sierra we are talking about. The later ones have a Vso of 69 knots.

Unlikely, given the 61-knot max Vs0 for certification for single engine airplanes. Vs1, maybe, but not Vs0.

A 1990 revision of the 1980 POH puts the bottom of the white arc at 55 kt and full-flap approach at 74 kt.

I'm probably about 74 knots when I cross the numbers so that's about right.

Back