Need hardware

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am looking for a simple cheap reliable (oh, yeah I forgot the rule about that)

-battery backup (uninterrupted power supply?)
and
-surge protector

all in one,

for a timecard system I am installing.

Suggestions?

I am looking for a simple cheap reliable (oh, yeah I forgot the rule about that)

and
-surge protector

all in one,

Suggestions?

How long do you want it to work after power fails? Are you principally looking for something to (1) avoid damage, and(2) bridge surges so it does not reboot?

They've gotten extremely low-priced the last couple years. I even put one on my cable box so it would keep the channel guide if power went out briefly. The bypass lines work as a surge protector for other components.

How long do you want it to work after power fails? Are you principally looking for something to (1) avoid damage, and(2) bridge surges so it does not reboot?

a) it is very rare for our power to be out more than 2 hours

b) mainly to keep it running when the power goes out and to protect it from the lightning surges that come with the concomitant thunderstorms,

The one above has some pretty scathing reports.
What do you think of this one?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2956468&CatId=233

Last edited:
First step: find out the wattage/amperage of your load. The best unit in the world will be unsatisfactory if it is not big enough.

-Skip

a) it is very rare for our power to be out more than 2 hours

b) mainly to keep it running when the power goes out and to protect it from the lightning surges that come with the concomitant thunderstorms,

The one above has some pretty scathing reports.
What do you think of this one?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2956468&CatId=233

I bought a bunch of them on sale somewhere. They're fine for the money, but like Skip said, you need to know the power consumption of the machine you are protecting.

Also, standard battery backups and UPS's (there actually is a difference, though I doubt it matters in this case) are designed to work with computers. Other devices may or may not have signaling ability, or may only be able to interface with a particular make/model of battery backup / UPS. You should check with the clock system vendor to see if a particular model of battery backup is specified.

Whether or not this is actually important depends upon whether the equipment being protected requires a graceful shutdown. An increasing number of microprocessor-controlled devices actually have a shutdown routine that happens when you push the power button, though it may not be obvious to the user. These devices don't like having their plugs pulled because they don't get the chance to execute whatever routines they need to run in order to start up smoothly the next time.

I would suspect that a time clock system falls into this category. A forceful shutdown due to loss of power could possibly cause data loss, not merely the clock showing an incorrect time.

All but the very cheapest battery backup / UPS devices have signaling ability that allows a computer to gracefully shut itself down in the event of a prolonged power failure that exhausts the backup battery. They are able to report their status to the device, so the device will be able to perform a graceful shutdown on itself when the juice gets critically low. But not all devices recognize all battery backups; so I suggest that you check whether a particular make or model of power protection is specified for your device.

If the device you are protecting has no signaling ability, then my suggestion is that you calculate your device's power consumption, anticipate the longest power failure you can imagine in your area (or at least, the longest you can imagine before the failure of the device you are protecting becomes the least of your problems), and then buy a battery backup / UPS sufficient to power your device for that amount of time.

Rich

Last edited:
P = IE

Power (in Watts) = Amperage (in Amps) x Voltage (in Volts)

P = 6 x 0.3 (300 mA = 0.3A)

P = 1.8 Watts

Now because no adapter is 100 percent efficient and the draw is stated on the DC side of the adapter, your actual power draw is probably higher. Some energy is lost as heat, etc. But even assuming an el-cheapo adapter with only 50 percent efficiency, your consumption would only be 3.6 watts.

So in a nutshell, pretty much any battery backup should run that device for quite a long time (certainly longer than the computer to which it's attached, which seems to be what's actually holding the data). So go with a name brand with a good reputation (APC, Tripp, etc.) and change the battery every two years, and you should be fine.

(The APC 550 vA from Tiger should do just fine.)

Rich

and
-surge protector

all in one,

Suggestions?
I got this larger Belkin, into which I have all 3-4 of my front room PCs and 2-3 TiVos. No problems.

BTW, surge protection in a UPS is standard.

Stay away from APC. Good brands are TrippLite and others. At the day job I practically never had a power failure. I had lots of server power outages due the $%^& APC UPS killing its output due to a dead battery or other SNAFU WHILE THE LINE POWER WAS ON. I told the rep the damned things caused failures rather than prevented them.

You don't want to plug a CRT or printer into it. They draw too much juice. You can live without those during a power failure. An LCD is Ok if you really want to see what's going on.

Last edited:
snip

Stay away from APC. Good brands are Tripp and others. At the day job I pratically never had a power failure. I had lots of server power outages due the $%^& APC UPS killing it's output due to a dead battery or other SNAFU. I told the rep the damned things caused failures rather than prevented them.

Interesting. I never, and I mean never, had a problem with APC (nor Tripp, for that matter). I did have a problem with a whole batch of Belkins once (they repeatedly lost their signal connections and "disappeared" from the PCs, on both Windows and Linux machines), but that was years ago; and Belkin replaced them when I complained. No problems since.

Is this all the APC units, Mike, or just a particular model? Not doubting you; just surprised.

Rich

Interesting. I never, and I mean never, had a problem with APC (nor Tripp, for that matter). I did have a problem with a whole batch of Belkins once (they repeatedly lost their signal connections and "disappeared" from the PCs, on both Windows and Linux machines), but that was years ago; and Belkin replaced them when I complained. No problems since.

Is this all the APC units, Mike, or just a particular model? Not doubting you; just surprised.

Rich

We're talking 10-15 years ago. It was so bad the company effectively banned APC in the datacenter. There is no excuse for the UPS killing your server without warning WHILE THE POWER IS ON, which is exactly what happened over and over again.

We're talking 10-15 years ago. It was so bad the company effectively banned APC in the datacenter. There is no excuse for the UPS killing your server without warning WHILE THE POWER IS ON, which is exactly what happened over and over again.

Oh, okay. I wasn't making those kind of decisions back then.

Thanks,

Rich

Troy - heehee, we have those discussions here all the time and get amused by the English language and "what he really meant was..."!

The timeclock UPS will only power the timeclock. The computers are at distant locations.

Normally if there is a summer thundershower in the area we are able to shut down beforehand and 'go with paper' for an hour or so, then get back up. We have lost so many things with the TZs here that even though everything is on a surge suppressor we still unplug electronics every night and when a storm is in the area. Our computers are never critical to our functions, and we can survive without electricity for hours.

I realize they aren't meant for lightning (what can survive a 5000000v belt?) but it seems they do help because a lot of what lightning does to us is a much smaller pulse.

Interesting. I never, and I mean never, had a problem with APC (nor Tripp, for that matter).

I was gonna say to go with APC. That's what I used to sell, exclusively, and never had a problem with 'em.

Back