Need Emergency Ideas for Training

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
I thought I would try to gather some ideas from you guys on some good emergencies for sim training.

This semester I have been tasked to design additional lessons for our flight department for use in our Redbird sim. They want emergency lessons that either can't be taught in real life or can't be taught around this area.

FYI: The basic emergencies are all ready covered by the other CFIs and I during training. I'm looking for out-of-the-box ideas that most don't think about or train for.

So far I have:

Ocean/Lake Ditching
Emergency in Mountainous Terrain
Inadvertent flight into IMC
[FONT=&quot]Asymmetrical Flaps
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]High Elevation Flying [/FONT]
Hot Weather/High Density Altitude
Engine Failure in IMC (Single and Multi)

• Cable breaking on key control such as throttle/prop/mixture
  • Barely detectable instrument failure. Fails at a slow rate that you won't see occurring, but after 5-10 minutes, you're now in trouble.
  • Challenging approaches that if you're not paying attention, will kill you. (read the one for Innsbruk Austria sometime).
  • Flat tire on main/nose when landing

Can you rig the pilot seat to roll back at rotation?

Slow vac loss

Slowly degrading VFR weather.

Oil on the windshield

What about unexpected windshear? Maybe a microburst, but even a basic 15 knot airspeed loss can be REAL fun on short final, especially during a short field landing.

Embedded thunderstorm encounter in IMC, perhaps with a lightning strike.

Electrical fire, both in IMC and VMC.

Carb ice event.

Extremely cold temperatures in the mountains (terrain avoidance / altimeter error) at night or in IMC.

Vacuum system leak or gradual failure in IMC.

Accidental box canyon entry at high density altitude.

For primary students, just a rapidly precessing DG can get them in a whole lot of trouble.

Last edited:
Andrew.. Is this sim a table top or full motion?

Stalls. Buffalo/AF style. Oh wait pro pilots know better... It is the stupid regular stuff that will get you.

Andrew.. Is this sim a table top or full motion?

It's A Full Motion Sim +- 30* on Pitch, +-60* on Roll +-120* Yaw.

It is a hacked FSX program. So Some of the great suggestions you guys made aren't possible.

I'd say flight into icing and flying ILS with ice. (redbirds/microsofts ice kinda sucks though)

Spins

Engine failure after takeoff

Glide slope failure (forgot if you could do that on there)

IMC a few seconds after breaking out at DH on a ILS (do they go missed or continue??)

Shoot a 00 ILS on a long runway.

Those redbirds are lacking in the flight realism areas, you can access it's MS flightsim roots if you plug a USB keyboard into that port and hit CTRL or ALT (forget which) you'll get the menu and can select more failures that way.

Last edited:
I'll never understand why Red Bird didn't build against Xplane, since it actually has a future.

Keep in mind that the Redbird is an ATD, not a full flight simulator, and may not be good training for what the airplane actually does and feels like in some of those situations. At the end of the day, it's a procedures trainer, not designed to teach you how the airplane flies.

Cable break resulting in loss of control of the elevator.

If the airplane is in trim and maintaining airspeed (constant rate) how would a cable break cause loss of control?

Wouldn't the trim help control the movement of the elevator?

The cable break would result in loss of control of the elevator!!!!

Trim can e used, but from what I have been told is very tricky, and one hell of an OH S*** moment.

The cable break would result in loss of control of the elevator!!!!

Trim can e used, but from what I have been told is very tricky, and one hell of an OH S*** moment.

Someone told you wrong. If the airplane is trimmed and at a constant power setting the cable break will result in not much..

If the airplane was out of trim then the elevator will now move to the trimmed position without having the force (cable) applied against it.

The trim tab if used correctly could continue to control the elevator. No different than flying the airplane with hands off of the yoke and doing climbs and descents using only the trim wheel.

What about landing???

Trim for flare.

Seriously think about it. Take an airplane, say a 172. In cruise flight trimmed take your hand off of the controls. Does the airplane go out of control?

In the same airplane, take hand off of the control yoke. Reduce power and the airplane will nose over and descend, conversely add power and it will climb. Use the trim wheel to adjust pitch.

Go out with an Instructor and find a runway, line up on a long final and try the same thing using power and pitch control using only trim. I think you will find its fairly easy to control.

How about a honey tank failure, get some liquid a55. Crack it open and tell the pilots the passengers are not happy. Or emergency sandwich making. You are making pros do it right.

Trim for flare.

Seriously think about it. Take an airplane, say a 172. In cruise flight trimmed take your hand off of the controls. Does the airplane go out of control?

In the same airplane, take hand off of the control yoke. Reduce power and the airplane will nose over and descend, conversely add power and it will climb. Use the trim wheel to adjust pitch.

Go out with an Instructor and find a runway, line up on a long final and try the same thing using power and pitch control using only trim. I think you will find its fairly easy to control.

Then this scenario would be perfect for what the OP is about, isn't it. Not something you want to try for real. Not something that is taught on a regular basis.

Then this scenario would be perfect for what the OP is about, isn't it. Not something you want to try for real. Not something that is taught on a regular basis.

Why wouldn't you try it for real? Quite frankly,W&R describes my landing technique. Trim for approach airspeed, reduce the power. Makes landing a lot easier, even on a C150.

My last flight review, the CFI brushed up my emergency procedures by having me trim for best glide on power out before doing the other stuff. A lot easier to fly the plane.

If you have autopilot.( especially with a trim servo )

Do a power off approach with the Autopilot ON , then click off and recover at the horn.

Get configured and level , pull the power and watch the trim wheel go to full nose up..

This actually simulates a very real scenario of forgetting to add power during a decent/approach level off with autopilot on....makes for a much more "busy" recovery.:hairraise:

Last edited:
The CFI who did my BFR had me doing most of the flying with just using the trim wheel for pitch. Brought back some long forgotten skills.

Cheers

Thanks for the help guys. I will be testing out some of these ideas over the next few days.

On the trim topic:

I have flown a full stabilized descent up to short final using nothing but power, trim and, rudder. It teaches students the relationship of power, airspeed and pitch angle.

I thought I would try to gather some ideas from you guys on some good emergencies for sim training.

Fuel leak. See if they ever look at the fuel gauge ever in their scan. Fuel exhaustion still remains one of the hugest risks in non-commercial flying.

Get airborne and then try some climbs, descents, and turns using only power, trim, and your feet. It's quite easy.

Back