Need CFI with 182 near KROA

182driver

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
182driver
I have 1300 hours in 172s, but I sold my 172 and hope to buy a 1976 182P. I don't have access to a 182 now. I need 5 hours for insurance and an endorsement for the more than 200 HP. Are there any CFIs with access to a 182 somewhere near Roanoke, Virginia out there?

I have 1300 hours in 172s, but I sold my 172 and hope to buy a 1976 182P. I don't have access to a 182 now. I need 5 hours for insurance and an endorsement for the more than 200 HP. Are there any CFIs with access to a 182 somewhere near Roanoke, Virginia out there?

You can do the purchase before the five hours, then get the hours and endorsement in your airplane.

You can do the purchase before the five hours, then get the hours and endorsement in your airplane.
I agree on this too... it's what I did.

That is actually what most folks do when moving up, especially in twins, hard to get 10-25 hours in a 414 before you buy one! ;)

That is actually what most folks do when moving up, especially in twins, hard to get 10-25 hours in a 414 before you buy one! ;)

One of my students bought a Bonanza A36 in late January at 64 hours total time. He has over 50 hours in it now and did his first family outing in it this past weekend.

Question from a noob with maybe the same issue down the road: what happens if an accident were to occur during those 5 hours? Is the insurance valid with a CFI, just not valid solo until that hurdle is passed with that endorsement?

Question from a noob with maybe the same issue down the road: what happens if an accident were to occur during those 5 hours? Is the insurance valid with a CFI, just not valid solo until that hurdle is passed with that endorsement?

Generally it is, depending on the policy. Most have a clause that allows for instructors meeting certain time in aircraft requirements.

Typically, You need X amount of hours with a CFI, then Y amount of hours solo before carrying PAX.

I think I needed 5 with a CFI and 5 more solo before carrying PAX.... or something like that.

... I think I needed 5 with a CFI and 5 more solo before carrying PAX.... or something like that.
That is about what the insurance company told me. I certainly could buy a 182 and then get checked out in it, but all of the planes I am interested in are pretty far away. The logistics would be easier if I could fly one home myself like I did with my 172. It is nice to hear that I'm in the same situation that lots of others have faced.

Generally speaking, you'll be covered if you're with a CFI. The CFI will likely need to meet the open pilot coverage criteria or whatever the insurance company outlines though. You're likely not going to be any better off if you have a CFI with zero time in type sitting in the right seat than you would be if you just got in it and flew it solo.

Typically, You need X amount of hours with a CFI, then Y amount of hours solo before carrying PAX.

I think I needed 5 with a CFI and 5 more solo before carrying PAX.... or something like that.

That's what I needed when I bought my Bonanza too. Getting initial coverage in a multi was a little harder.

That is about what the insurance company told me. I certainly could buy a 182 and then get checked out in it, but all of the planes I am interested in are pretty far away. The logistics would be easier if I could fly one home myself like I did with my 172. It is nice to hear that I'm in the same situation that lots of others have faced.

Find yourself a CFI around the airport that the airplane you're buying is based at. It really shouldn't be too hard to find a CFI with enough 182 time to get you checked out before your trip home.

I finally found a good 182 about an hour away and my mechanic has plenty of 182 time. We flew up, looked at it, put down a rather small deposit, got insurance, and flew it back home. My mechanic is about done with a full annual on it. Except for what I have decided is a minor paperwork issue, it is a no-brainer that I want to keep it. My wife says to keep it, so who am I to argue?

My mechanic has a V tail Bo, but I need to haul lots of stuff more than I need to go fast. Being able to do both just costs too much.

My mechanic is not a CFI, but I have a friend who is and who has a ton of time in the CAP's 182 as a pilot and as an instructor.

So far so good!

Purchased a twin in Texas,flew my trade down,spent two days got my 5 hours,dual then flew the twin home to mass. Could then carry pax.

I finally found a good 182 about an hour away and my mechanic has plenty of 182 time. We flew up, looked at it, put down a rather small deposit, got insurance, and flew it back home. My mechanic is about done with a full annual on it. Except for what I have decided is a minor paperwork issue, it is a no-brainer that I want to keep it. My wife says to keep it, so who am I to argue?

My mechanic has a V tail Bo, but I need to haul lots of stuff more than I need to go fast. Being able to do both just costs too much.

My mechanic is not a CFI, but I have a friend who is and who has a ton of time in the CAP's 182 as a pilot and as an instructor.

So far so good!

:thumbsup:

I did the same as your mechanic for a friend that bought a 150 who hadn't flown in many, many years.

When I bought my Luscombe, I had zero time in type. Luckily the one I found was only a couple hours away, and I found an A&P who was also a CFI, who has also owned and put hundreds of hours in Luscombes who rode with me to check it out before buying, and did my 5 hours all in the same day. I was lucky!

First off 1300hrs in a 172, holy cow batman!

Second, yeah what the others said, just include it in the sale of the 182.

I'm in a similar situation. Just purchased a 182P and need 5 hours for insurance along with a high performance endorsement. I also needed to ferry the plane from Indiana to Florida. I hired a CFI (who also has his personal 182) to fly it from Indiana to Florida with me. By the time we arrive, he expects to sign me off on the high perf endorsement after five or six fuel stops. We will also do some local flying the following morning before he flies commercial back home. Bringing my baby home next week!:)

Back