Need a Sim Partner in Seattle for B777

fly777rjk

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
fly777rjk
I have to do a 4 day recurrent training with a PC in Seattle. Looking to find someone who may want to partner up to split the costs. It's at Alteon/Boeing. Training would be sometime soon...waiting for the dates.....Thanks! :)

I have to do a 4 day recurrent training with a PC in Seattle. Looking to find someone who may want to partner up to split the costs. It's at Alteon/Boeing. Training would be sometime soon...waiting for the dates.....Thanks! :)

Cost and dates?

Henning: You read it wrong. It's for a 777, not a 337.

I know what he said. I've gotta bail out of the country here for a couple days at the end of the month anyway, might be able to turn it into an ATP ride.

I know what he said. I've gotta bail out of the country here for a couple days at the end of the month anyway, might be able to turn it into an ATP ride.

Unless it's waaaay different from most training centers, you can't just walk in and take a type ride from a recurrent class, and you (or anybody else without experience) couldn't pass the oral anyway*. And the guys at the centers are real nervous about filling the squares and giving type rides to newb's. There are some guys around who provide "in airplane" training in Citations if you want to get an ATP & type ride combined.

*In the limited time allowed to assimilate and prepare.

Last edited:

I don't understand. Who do you fly for that you have to pay for the sim time and would allow you to look for a sim partner off the street? Help me out here. I am not connecting the dots.

Dearest Sir:

I am a Nigerian prince, flying for the national airline of my country. Due to an internal power struggle within the governmental bureauacacy, I am in the USA without access to funds to complete my training. The funds ($2,000,000) are being held in a Swiss bank, and I am willing to share them equally . . .
I don't understand. Who do you fly for that you have to pay for the sim time and would allow you to look for a sim partner off the street? Help me out here. I am not connecting the dots.

I am not connecting the dots.
Neither am I. The only explanation I can think of is if the OP is a contract pilot. But does anyone hire contract pilots for B-777s? Or there is, of course, wabower's explanation.

Neither am I. The only explanation I can think of is if the OP is a contract pilot. But does anyone hire contract pilots for B-777s? Or there is, of course, wabower's explanation.

Yeah, there are charter operators in Africa and the Mid East that hire contract pilots and require you to be "up to date". I wasn't aware of any that flew 777s, but I don't follow that market.

PFT on a 777 ? .....gotta be kidding me...this is a new low

Yea, but as long as you have people willing to pay to play.......:nonod:

I don't know what the current scales are, but back a few years back the pay was well worth it. Basically, the overage in pay from what an airline would pay, would more than cover the cost of the training within the time of the contract. They did pay for it, but you had to prove you could pass first. They spare themselves the risk of hiring someone who can't pass and being out $40k and still needing a pilot. Hell, Southwest Airlines requires you to show up with a 737 TR in order to apply.

As a subcontractor, you need to walk in the door ready to do the job, so I can understand a prime requiring the sub to complete all the necessary training. Now the original poster said he needed recurrent training, so I'm assuming he's already typed and will be taking the shorter course?

I believe that there are quite a few non-airline operators (ferry and leasing companies for examples) that hire pilots "on spec" for specific jobs or durations, as well as the operators previously mentioned.

PFT on a 777 ? .....Im sorry to hear that
If the OP is a contract pilot it isn't really PFT. In the corporate aviation world quite a few companies use contract pilots and the pilots usually pay for their own training unless they have some specific arrangement with a customer who uses them a lot. What generally happens is that a company has some pilots on the payroll but they use contract pilots to fill in for various reasons. I have flown with a contract pilot on a handful of occasions. Some of them do it because they can't find a full time job and others do it because they like the flexibility to work when they want. I just had never heard of B-777s operated in this manner but I don't know anything about that end of the business, especially overseas.

If the OP is a contract pilot it isn't really PFT. In the corporate aviation world quite a few companies use contract pilots and the pilots usually pay for their own training unless they have some specific arrangement with a customer who uses them a lot. What generally happens is that a company has some pilots on the payroll but they use contract pilots to fill in for various reasons. I have flown with a contract pilot on a handful of occasions. Some of them do it because they can't find a full time job and others do it because they like the flexibility to work when they want. I just had never heard of B-777s operated in this manner but I don't know anything about that end of the business, especially overseas.

I know how contract flying works....used to be a PC check was taken care of even up until last year...just shows you where supply vs. demand will take things.....Alot of corporate flight deps are dumping pilots on the street when there pc check is due ...then they turn right around and hire "current pilots" to dodge the sim fees.... no kidding this just happened at Seagrave Aviation. and AT&T...what a scumbag deal for those guys

Last edited:

Hell, Southwest Airlines requires you to show up with a 737 TR in order to apply.

They no longer require the type before one applies - but I believe it remains a requisite prior to actually starting with the carrier.

"A candidate may apply without a B-737 Type Rating. If a candidate interviews and successfully completes the entire selection process, he/she has six months from that date to obtain a B-737 Type Rating to be eligible for hire."

I don't know what the current scales are, but back a few years back the pay was well worth it. Basically, the overage in pay from what an airline would pay, would more than cover the cost of the training within the time of the contract. They did pay for it, but you had to prove you could pass first. They spare themselves the risk of hiring someone who can't pass and being out $40k and still needing a pilot. Hell, Southwest Airlines requires you to show up with a 737 TR in order to apply.

Maybe what you have in mind as "well worth it" are far below industry averages. The African companies are notorious for making huge promises and not delivering. More than one pilot has gone over for one of these "contract" jobs only to wind up paying his own ticket home and flat broke.

Working "contract" in foreign countries has it's own share of woes to those not familiar. There are a few good jobs out there, but not many. Right now there is a glut of type rated highly qualified pilots looking for work so the overseas companies know this and want them to provide their own training in order for the job.

Maybe what you have in mind as "well worth it" are far below industry averages. The African companies are notorious for making huge promises and not delivering. More than one pilot has gone over for one of these "contract" jobs only to wind up paying his own ticket home and flat broke.

Working "contract" in foreign countries has it's own share of woes to those not familiar. There are a few good jobs out there, but not many. Right now there is a glut of type rated highly qualified pilots looking for work so the overseas companies know this and want them to provide their own training in order for the job.

Exactly what happened to my best friend who was in Africa. The outfit typed him PIC in the CRJ...flew it for 5 months then the airplane got repoed during a turn in the congo! He also had to put up with worthless FO's who had falseified ratings since they were the son of an african prince etc...

Last edited:
Wow...Let me be more clear....I was with with a commercial carrier for 23 years....Type rated on the 777 for 10 years. Haven't flown in over a year.....need to get current...and yes I have to pay for the training myself. No they don't let just anyone "drop" in to do training, even if they could pay. I started the thread in case there was someone out there like me that has wanted to do recurrent training but couldn't afford the almost $10,000.00 for one person. Most airlines require currency withing 6-12 months when applying...and now I just hit another snag...has to be on an actual revenue flight.

I apologize for not being clear :blush:....It should have read:

"Former Commercial Airline Pilot needing to get current on B777 would like to find a partner to share training and sim/PC time in SEA. Should be around $4800.00. Waiting for the dates"

I know how contract flying works....used to be a PC check was taken care of even up until last year...
Apparently you really don't know how it works in some cases because quite a few contract pilots don't just work for one company but free lance for many companies. In that case which company would you have pay for the training? You are supposed to factor the training costs into your per/day charge.

Wow...Let me be more clear....I was with with a commercial carrier for 23 years....Type rated on the 777 for 10 years. Haven't flown in over a year.....need to get current...and yes I have to pay for the training myself. No they don't let just anyone "drop" in to do training, even if they could pay. I started the thread in case there was someone out there like me that has wanted to do recurrent training but couldn't afford the almost $10,000.00 for one person. Most airlines require currency withing 6-12 months when applying...and now I just hit another snag...has to be on an actual revenue flight.

"Former Commercial Airline Pilot needing to get current on B777 would like to find a partner to share training and sim/PC time in SEA. Should be around $4800.00. Waiting for the dates"

May I suggest www.propilotworld.com , www.airlinepilotcentral. com or www.fliteinfo.com

Also you can run an ad on www.barnstormers.com for free, and also try www.pprune.com

Good luck!

Thanks for clarifying 777rjk...good luck to you! I was confused..stinks about the rev flight req...
I also suggest flightinfo.com

Last edited:
Back