Need a New Desktop

Discussion in 'Technical Corner' started by Fallsrider, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Fallsrider

Fallsrider Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Fallsrider
    That makes sense. A friend I was talking to this morning made that same recommendation. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

2. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down PoA Supporter

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    I forget.

Do you want a clean windows install or do you just want to copy what you have to the newer faster SSD?

If the latter... Macrium Reflect free version.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Best imaging software out there IMHO.

Fallsrider likes this.
  3. neon

neon Ejection Handle Pulled

Display name:
    neon
    Buy one with an SSD. It boots much faster and the programs you use start faster than on a computer with an HDD.

4. Fallsrider

Display name:
    Fallsrider
    My intention has been to get a clean install. But so far, I have not been able to get that to work. I followed the advice above and unplugged my HD, hoping the thumb drive would install onto the new SSD. But no luck. I tried twice and it just hasn't worked. It goes through the long process of slowly counting up through the percentages of restoration, then it gives me an error message and tells me that it could not complete the restoration. No explanation, or anything.

So I may be forced to do a clone, and I'll look up that software if I do. A clone would probably be fine, but I was just hoping to get rid of all the extraneous stuff that slows the computer down that builds up over time.

5. masloki

masloki Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    DD
    Without the error ID will be hard to be more detailed but my guess is your USB stick is misbehaving. Easy step to try - put it in a different USB port. If that doesn’t work, try a new usb stick. Or go the Macrium clone route. Win 10 does have an option to restore itself to a clean state. In my recent experience, it gets rid of the regular software but left behind some litter.

6. Fallsrider

Display name:
    Fallsrider
    I may try cloning my HD over to the new SSD. Then try a clean restore on the SSD. That way I will still have my HD as a backup of all my files.

7. denverpilot

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    That’s a pretty good idea. Also if your restore USB is from the machine manufacturer, you could make one from Windows Media Creator available here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

It won’t restore the restore partition or any manufacturer specific drivers however.

8. GMascelli

GMascelli En-Route

Display name:
    GaryM
    With all this computer talk I decided to finally update what i'm working with. I have been running the same desk top unit for at least 15 years, I know, living in the stone age. What really has driven the update is the need for video editing speed. It was time.

I purchased a Dell G3 gaming laptop, and I'll reuse my monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse. Here are the specs.

9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9750H
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
    16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz
    256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive (Boot) + 1TB 5400 rpm 2.5" SATA Hard Drive (Storage)
    15.6-in. display
    I also added
    WD Elements 3TB Portable External Hard Drive
    Anker USB C Hub 4 port

Fallsrider and denverpilot like this.
  9. denverpilot

Display name:
    DenverPilot

I’d plan on ripping that out for video editing unless all of your projects can be edited and rendered and such on the smallish SSD then copied later.

Couple of ways to go about that... pull the spinning disk and put an SSD in where it came from...

Or even upgrade the M2 SSD with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2 ... 1TB is $219 right now. Unbelievably cheap.

The gaming laptops take advantage of the fact that games usually do nothing but sequential reads so maybe a 5400 RPM drive can saturate the 6Gb/s SATA channel. With non-sequential, the performance of that drive will crater. Especially compared to a decent SATA SSD.

Another thing to watch for with the i9 laptops is not getting full speed under heavy load. Some start thermal throttling before you get what you paid for on the processor. Keep it cool and your renders will go marginally faster. The on board cooling sometimes can’t keep up. The i9 runs hot.

But nice rig. Should last a while.

GMascelli likes this.
  10. Fallsrider

Display name:
    Fallsrider
    I did clone my drive using Macrium. That went flawlessly, and the new SSD definitely runs the computer faster.

However, doing a restore on the new drive failed. I tried two or three times and it wouldn't work. It did not give me an error message and would not tell me why. It just said that it was unsuccessful and no data had been lost.

denverpilot likes this.
  11. denverpilot

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Interesting. Would be hard to tell from here why the restore is barfing but we usually don’t see that.

SSDs even SATA ones really brought life back to a lot of machines that were plenty fast, they’re just waiting around on slow storage.

It was pretty amazing how the industry kept touting that you needed a faster processor or more RAM while shoving 5400 RPM drives in laptops.

The PCIe 4 lane M2 interfaces going into modern stuff along with the cheap as chips M2 interface SSDs that plug into those are impressive.

Now SATA even with an SSD is the slowpoke at 600 MB/sec.

Watched a video where someone tried to do a massive storage server with all 4 lane M2 drives and a motherboard that claimed to have enough PCIe lanes recently. It barfed.

The motherboard maker punted and said they didn’t intend it to be used that way. LOL. Not quite there yet. Best guess by the testers was that buffers just couldn’t handle it and the entire PCIe lane would reset.

They were able to get it to work, still wicked fast, by forcing the motherboard to PCI 2. But nowhere near what the board maker claimed.

:)