Necroposting: Visual indication of resurrected threads?

Jim Logajan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Is there any way to display to readers (via some obvious indicator other than the posting dates) that the amount of time between two posts exceeds more than, say, 12 months?

None that I know of. There may be a plugin somewhere. I'll have to look some time.

One is for vBulletin 4.x+ and the other is for 3.5.x (hasn't been updated since 2006).

We're using the 3.8 branch. We really need to upgrade to 4.x at some point...but I haven't been able to spend the time to recreate all of the customizations that we've implemented (per request) over the years.

It isn't a terribly important request; ideally people should pay attention to date of the posts they are replying to anyway, but absent that I thought it might be nice to have some visual alert if it wasn't too hard to do.

For a while, you just had to look at the user name for the last post. Certain members were notorious for necroposting.

I sorta like when an old topic comes alive. Probably goofy, I know.

I have no problem with resurrected topics per se. The problem comes when people see "new threads," start reading the older posts and start answering whatever question was posed - without noticing that the posts they are answering were posted months or even years ago.

I just thought it would be nice if there were a way to alert those people so they don't waste time answering posts where the posters might have died of old age in the mean time.

I have no problem with resurrected topics per se. The problem comes when people see "new threads," start reading the older posts and start answering whatever question was posed - without noticing that the posts they are answering were posted months or even years ago.

I just thought it would be nice if there were a way to alert those people so they don't waste time answering posts where the posters might have died of old age in the mean time.
Spoil sport.

:D

Something like this came up on another board I frequented years ago. The admins tried to get people to start using the SEARCH function. Then it became a matter of peer pressure and people were chastised for asking redundant questions instead of searching. Eventually many old timers stopped frequenting the board.

I like PoA because topics tend to get hashed over and over and over and someone always throws out a 'but did you consider this' post. It keeps things fresh.

Personally, I learn best when I am engaged, not simply reading. I learn from my smartass answers (as someone commented) and even moreso when I give a dumbass answer.

What we're really in need of is an ap that reaches out and dope slaps those who don't read the entire thread before making a post and/or responding. The "Tally & Contact" thread has numerous examples of members who need this dope slap ap.

Drives me crazy.

But I guess I'll learn to let it go. ;)

What we're really in need of is an ap that reaches out and dope slaps those who don't read the entire thread before making a post and/or responding. The "Tally & Contact" thread has numerous examples of members who need this dope slap ap.

Drives me crazy.

I'll second that.

Well lets see, of the interweb forums you will see, folks getting slapped for not searching and folks getting slapped for necroposting.

Can't win for loosing sometimes huh:dunno:

I object to anything that makes any more work for those who run this site. They do enough as it is.

Online forums don't work that way. People usually aren't going to search for a topic/answer unless it's something very specific. Especially in a forum that's centered around a hobby. People like to tell their stories and give their .02.

Why not ignore the topics that you don't want to discuss or that you feel have been discussed enough?

Drives me crazy.

How about we ban 'em to Spin Zone? :rofl:

Back