Neat iPad/iPhone App - Scenic Map

CT4ME

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CT4ME
I was recently introduced to a great mapping App that works great for flying: Scenic Map. It comes in 4 parts... East, Central, West, & Alaska. There is a free Grand Canyon version, but the others cost $9.99.
Scenic Map gives you 3D maps, like Google Earth, but doesn't require a live Internet connection. This means you can use it while flying, which is great because it tracks you real-time, just like any moving map. Yes, the download is large, but worth it.
Every pilot that saw Scenic Map at the recent CT Fly-in in Page loved it, and many purchased it immediately.
The wife/navigator loves the app because it presents a great deal of information while flying... roads, cities, geographic features, parks, lakes, etc. All sorts of stuff that's not shown on sectionals. It's a crude form of synthetic vision, too.
Scenic Map records your tracks, allows you to save and rename them, and play them back... I haven't quite figured out how it behaves while Foreflight/WingX is running, but it does have the ability to record in the background.
Give it a try... unfortunately there's no free trial (except the Grand Canyon version)
Here's a video demo... (older version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJT-zKL9fUw

Last edited:
Yes, it uses gps to track real-time. Once you hit the "compass" button (just like FF or WX), it moves the map to your exact location and starts tracking. Track UP or North UP.

Back