Near-Fatal Spin on First Solo

PrivatePassenger

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PrivatePassenger
I was training for a private pilot's license in a Cessna 172, and had about 35 hours flight time and 175 take-offs and landings under my belt by the time I was cleared for my first unsupervised solo. During the solo, I made a series of poor decisions and mistakes and nearly ended causing what undoubtedly would have been a fatal crash. Lesson learned: please practice stall and spin recovery so that you don't panic if it happens to you.

My flight plan, which I had worked out ahead of time with my instructor, was simply to fly out to our usual training area and practice the ground reference and air maneuvers that we had been working, and then fly straight back. The trouble started when I went into practicing the air maneuvers, which I had become accustomed to practicing in a certain sequence: steep turns, slow flight, power-off stall, power-on stall. So that's what I did. I practiced steep turns, both to the left and right, and then into slow flight (with full flaps), and power-off stall. My intention was never to actually stall the plane, but rather to practice (as I had done with my instructor) approaching the threshold, recognizing the signs, and recovering.

It was right at the point between the threshold of a stall and the point of recovery when things started to go very wrong. I can recall applying full throttle, but I had not yet begun to raise the flaps, when I felt the left wing of the plane start to drop. I instinctively reacted by turning the yoke hard to the right. I had been taught to use the rudder here, but clearly had not yet internalized that. Upon doing so, the plane stopped flying and started a slow spin. At first I didn't realize what was happening. I knew something was wrong because the nose dropped and I was looking straight ahead at the ground, but I didn't understand the reasons.

Again acting on more instinct than proper training, I first tried to just pull the nose of the plane up by pulling back on the yoke. And it worked, the nose came up to the horizon and I remember feeling relieved, but only for a moment before the nose dropped again. I pulled back again and brought the nose up a second time, and it dropped right back down. I think I tried a third time before I realized what was happening.

:hairraise: At that instant, pure and total panic hit me like a ton of bricks. I had visions of the local paper reporting on the death of a student pilot, and I could only think to myself "how in the hell did I manage to get myself into this? I am going to crash and die on my first solo!" I had never practiced spin recovery before and this was not a topic that had been address with my instructor nor one that I recalled (at the time) from ground school.

Luckily, I had just finished reading a great old book called Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langewiesche. I remembered the reading about the basics of spin recovery and began to apply what I remembered. First thing in my mind was apply opposite rudder to stop the spin; I wasn't sure which rudder was opposite, and I can recall feeling like I did not have time to ponder and figure it out, so I just guessed and stepped on one of them. When spin got faster, I knew I had guessed wrong. So I let up on that rudder and applied the correct opposite rudder, which did quickly stop the spin. Then release back pressure on the yoke, as I had still been trying to hold the nose up this whole time. Then I realized the plane was at full throttle and full flaps, so I reduced throttle and raised the flaps incrementally as the plane started flying again.

Now I was drenched in sweat, like I had just stepped out of the shower, but the plane was flying again. I'm not certain how long it took or how much altitude I lost, but I started at around 3,500 and my perception was certainly that I had narrowly avoided a fatal accident. I went straight back to the airport and have been terrified to get back in the cockpit since. The feeling of that wing dropping out from under me will forever be associated with an intense visceral terror that I felt during those moments.

Your instructor had you practicing stalls and steep turns on your first unsupervised solo?

You need a new instructor. That's not sound judgment.

I don't think I'd characterize your decisions as that bad -- most of us have to learn what not to do the hard way. But with an instructor in the right seat.

So you've never actually done a stall before either? You said your intention was NOT to stall the plane, just practice? Your instructor never stalled the plane before he signed you off?

Your instructor signed you off for solo without showing and having you practice actual stalls? :eek::eek::eek:

We practiced stalls, but we did not practice what to do if something goes wrong in the recovery. Every time I did it with the instructor, it was easy as pie.

Some people have all the fun!

I trained in a C-152 that was placarded against intentional spins. This is not to say I didn't manage to nearly start an unintentional spin once with the CFI on board, but while my CFI yearned to teach me via intentional spin and recovery, he couldn't legally do it in that plane. (I think he was more concerned with the anger of the plane's owner if he found out than anything the FAA might do.)

You could consider switching to flight training in a gyroplane, helicopter, or balloon....

Well, it's good that you reverted to your knowledge and pulled out of it, but I'm surprised your instructed didn't drill spin recovery in to your head prior to your first solo. Mine did.

And yeah, I nearly started a couple w/CFI while I was training.

I went straight back to the airport and have been terrified to get back in the cockpit since.

If you don't go back up soon - with your CFI - as soon as possible you'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon - and for the rest of your life.

The feeling of that wing dropping out from under me will forever be associated with an intense visceral terror that I felt during those moments.

Certainly gets the heart rate up! Thing is, you should now know what you are capable of - and that primal fear didn't cause you to "lock up".

When it's placarded against an intentional spin - does that mean a fully developed spin only?

First solo is usually staying in the pattern where the instructor can watch you? Right?

That's what I thought. All I did was 2 touch and go's and a full stop. Get the "omg I'm alone" feeling out of the way. I almost got into a full blown spin on my first power on stall. Taught me the importance of staying coordinated and a great lesson on how to recover from it. Def got my heart rate going. I'm sorry but every time I play the OP's scenario out in my head I have to laugh a little bit.

Wow... This probably doesn't help, but rather than feel terrified, you should feel confident knowing that you didn't panic, you kept your cool, and used your head to get out of a jamb. I'm an inexperienced pilot, but I suspect a considerable number of accidents could be avoided by that alone.

Since I've never been in a spin, that's probably my biggest situational fear. I'm glad to hear that you can figure out which rudder pedal by trial and error! That always seemed like it could be the most complicated part of spin recovery. :hairraise:

Nice job, and I hope you decide to get back on the horse!

I'm glad to hear that you can figure out which rudder pedal by trial and error!

My inadvertent spin was in a 150 with an instructor after I had my cert. I was getting some extra training after a close call had me shaken. I kept the yoke held back during a power on stall. As soon as the spin started my instructor started laughing. I was NOT happy.

I had a wing drop during my primary check ride too. I stepped on the pedal away from the direction the earth was turning / the dropped wing, like I was trying to counteract the motion.

I'm still a bit twitchy about power on stalls, but that spin taught me some great lessons. I'm always coordinated during a stall now :)

It is normal to feel apprehensive. Get out with an instructor and beat that back out of your psyche. Take it from me - you can do it.

1) Congratulations. Having survived your first "OMG! What's it doing?" moment, You are now officially a pilot.:yes:

2) You did well for a student. Your CFI, OTOH, needs to be taken to the woodshed for soloing a student without showing them uncoordinated stalls (the wing drop) and appropriate recovery. This is a fairly common goof for student pilots; as you now know, it is also fairly terrifying:yikes:- hence the stall training BEFORE solo.

3) Now the bad news. It only developed into a spin because you panicked and applied pro-spin inputs (trying to lift the wing with aileron and back elevator pressure). A nice thing about 172s and other trainers? They are required to be designed so that if they *are* spun, it is easy for a pilot to save the flight- just release the controls and the airplane will fly itself out of the spin. It won't right itself, but it *will* stop spinning.

4) You should find another instructor and get back on the horse as it were. Speaking from experience: if you don't, or let this drive you away from aviation, you WILL regret it.

5) I just want to wish you good luck, we're all counting on you.;)

If you don't go back up soon - with your CFI - as soon as possible you'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon - and for the rest of your life.

I agree completely.

You scared yourself in an airplane, it was bound to happen. You just got it out of the way early. Go up and get back in the saddle, with a CFI.. And make sure you drill in to stay coordinated and not use ailerons during stall recovery.

If you had a few more hours, and maybe even now... I would recommend some upset recovery with a competent instructor. Done correctly, spins will see like a non event and recovery automatic.

A nice thing about 172s and other trainers? They are required to be designed so that if they *are* spun, it is easy for a pilot to save the flight- just release the controls and the airplane will fly itself out of the spin. It won't right itself, but it *will* stop spinning.

Its a nice thing about 172 and even 152, but definitely not applicable to "other trainers". AA-1A Trainer for example. Grumman experts here will correct since I only have third-party sources for this, but I believe a 3-turn-spin is usually unrecoverable.

1) Congratulations. Having survived your first "OMG! What's it doing?" moment, You are now officially a pilot.:yes:

2) You did well for a student. Your CFI, OTOH, needs to be taken to the woodshed for soloing a student without showing them uncoordinated stalls (the wing drop) and appropriate recovery. This is a fairly common goof for student pilots; as you now know, it is also fairly terrifying:yikes:- hence the stall training BEFORE solo.

3) Now the bad news. It only developed into a spin because you panicked and applied pro-spin inputs (trying to lift the wing with aileron and back elevator pressure). A nice thing about 172s and other trainers? They are required to be designed so that if they *are* spun, it is easy for a pilot to save the flight- just release the controls and the airplane will fly itself out of the spin. It won't right itself, but it *will* stop spinning.

4) You should find another instructor and get back on the horse as it were. Speaking from experience: if you don't, or let this drive you away from aviation, you WILL regret it.

:yeahthat:

Get a new instructor and get back on the horse. Find a CFI who isn't scared of spins (and will teach them...or at least demonstrate an incipient spin) and who, under no circumstances, only teaches an approach to stall.

Wow first solo and you were practicing maneuvers damn I was just happy flying around doing t n goes and landing and different airports I still never did solo stalls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You obviously feel fortunate to still be here! Don't give up on flying, though. Rather than tell you to get another CFI as everybody else is doing, I suggest you discuss this with your CFI. You need to work on those same maneuvers, only this time with him/her in the airplane with you. He/she needs to learn a lesson here as well.

Did my spin training in a da20, those things break hard and sound fast, we were able to get 6spins in about 1800ft....good times.

When it's placarded against an intentional spin - does that mean a fully developed spin only?

I wouldn't want to argue that I had intentionally initiated a spin, but that it wasn't fully developed :)

That is the bad thing about the piper line, so many are not approved for spins.. You have to go find something else to do it in..

I wouldn't want to argue that I had intentionally initiated a spin, but that it wasn't fully developed :)

That is the bad thing about the piper line, so many are not approved for spins.. You have to go find something else to do it in..

Just axing.

I went up with a CFI a while ago in a plane not approved for intentional spins. We worked on full, uncoordinated stalls to force a wing to drop, maybe a half turn, but didn't get to anything fully developed.

Just axing.

I went up with a CFI a while ago in a plane not approved for intentional spins. We worked on full, uncoordinated stalls to force a wing to drop, maybe a half turn, but didn't get to anything fully developed.

I am sure the FAA has a definition somewhere, but I am feeling lazy right now :)

First solo is usually staying in the pattern where the instructor can watch you? Right?

He didn't say it was his first solo, he said it was his first "unsupervised" solo which is the first time you go off to the practice area and try scare the crap out of yourself - which he apparently succeeded at. ;) Doing maneuvers in a 172 at a safe altitude allows you to screw up and learn. There's not much gonna happen that you can't get out of by just letting go and allowing the airplane to recover on it's own.

Great points! Anyone here who hasn't sweated bullets at least once in their flying career is lying!

Get a good instructor and get back on that horse. Have your new instructor take you to the practice area, and with plenty of altitude, practice leaf stalls.

Power off, yoke fully back, and hold it there while you learn to work that top rudder to keep the world in the right place.

Oh, and nice recovery!

Just as a side note, the first few times I went out to the practice area solo, I was instructed to practice from 1000 feet higher than we did when with an instructor. Also, I called up ATC and told them what I was doing. They agreed to watch over my shoulder, so to speak, while I practiced.

BTW, good job on getting it together and letting your training take over from instinct.

I had a similar experience on an early solo flight.

It's been almost 40 years, but my recollection is that I had gone into a departure stall, having forgotten to raise my flaps from the last approach to landing stall. Plane rolled off hard to the left, and though never in a full spin did quite scare me.

Later, as an instructor, I would always introduce "incipient spins". Have the student slow down as if to do an approach to landing stall, then right before the break pull the stick back and apply left rudder. Recover as soon as the left wing dropped. I would then offer a demonstration of a full spin, but only if the student desired, and the plane was certified for it, of course.

The "falling leaf" maneuver is another good one to get a student used to using his or her feet to correct for a yawing nose.

Your instructor signed you off for solo without showing and having you practice actual stalls? :eek::eek::eek:

You know, I don't know that I ever did a full stall until I asked to do it many years post PPL at the CFI Wings event.

Does it count if you hold the pitch up until nose drops? THAT I did many times. And I did learn to use rudder.

Just axing.

At my Wings session I distinctly remember seeing nothing but green Illinois farmland "vertically" out front. Also flying nearly on knife edge using rudder for elevator.

One of my best lessons ever.

At my Wings session I distinctly remember seeing nothing but green Illinois farmland "vertically" out front. Also flying nearly on knife edge using rudder for elevator.

One of my best lessons ever.

The first time I did spins was in a glider. That nice big bubble canopy showed ground where sky should be and it was turning. I knew all the things I was supposed to do, but instinctively I simply jammed both feet on the rudders like I was stomping on the brakes. Then I thought, "that's dumb", and stopped the spin.

The first time I did spins was in a glider. That nice big bubble canopy showed ground where sky should be and it was turning. I knew all the things I was supposed to do, but instinctively I simply jammed both feet on the rudders like I was stomping on the brakes. Then I thought, "that's dumb", and stopped the spin.

How did you do step #1, which is pull the power ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back