NC Outter Banks Flying

jmpoplin

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
NCFlyer
I am interested in doing some flying along the North Carolina coast and/or accomplishing a lighthouse tour. Several folks have done this I know but looking at the sectional, it is covered with warning and restricted areas - any advice, experiences, or stories from you guys?

Thanks,
Jeff

I am interested in doing some flying along the North Carolina coast and/or accomplishing a lighthouse tour. Several folks have done this I know but looking at the sectional, it is covered with warning and restricted areas - any advice, experiences, or stories from you guys?

Thanks,
Jeff

The restricted areas are over Pamlico sound, not the islands themselves. The MOAs are above 8,000. You should have no problem getting to and landing at FFA, MQI, HSE or W95.

If you need to pass through, call Giant Killer on 118.125 and inquire if they're "cold" or "hot".

Last edited:
Talk and squawk ~ you'll be fine!

I fly to the area from the west all the time. I get flight following before I get near any restricted areas - tell the controller what I want to do and they will help navigate the restricted areas.

Last edited:
I've flown to Ocracoke a couple times and others seem to have good luck with Cherry Point Approach allowing flight through the restricted areas. However, both times, I was denied clearance through 5306A. One on a Friday and one on a Saturday. On the Friday, Cherry Point did give me radar service through their alert area, so I just skirted 5306A past Cherry Point to Beaufort, made a left at the first ocean, and flew up the coast to Ocrocoke. And remember that some are only alert areas, not restricted areas. It's worth a flight out there.

Don't miss the opportunity to fly in and walk Kill Devil Hill.... Nothing like it.

Don't miss the opportunity to fly in and walk Kill Devil Hill.... Nothing like it.

Did this as a non-pilot. Pilot let me fly most of the trip, but he never explained what those things on the floor were for:nono:

I did KFFA, and I'm glad I did. My wife got a bit nervous when we hit the open water areas, but I was comfortable that we had the glide ratio to be safe.

Call up Giant Killer if you need 'em. The frequency should be on your sectional.

Call up Giant Killer if you need 'em. The frequency should be on your sectional.

If you have passengers who listen in on the intercom, let them know who you are talking to beforehand :D .

Not sure exactly what your route will be, but keep in mind that we (Oceana Hornets) fly in and out of the DARE ranges VFR as the norm. Your POC to find out if the Pam MOAs are hot is Giant Killer South (I only know the UHF freq for them), and Washington Center to see if the Phelps MOA is hot. We use the Pams right down to basically the surface and up to FL altitudes (there is a "PAM low" as well as "PAM high" FYI), as well as the Phelps. There is a small restricted area off stumpy point that has a barge that we bomb, so that will also be something you would need to avoid. Generally speaking, if you fly up the coast at some low VFR altitude, you will probably be clear of it, especially if you stay offshore. We typically transit down to DARE VFR between 10-15k, and come home somewhere between 7-15k. There is normally some maneuvering over the albamerle sound or just NE of there when we do our G-WARM. That all being said, we have a good radar in the nose, so typically if we are co-altitude, we will see you. As long as you hug the coast, you will be nowhere near the W-72/110/120 and the TACTS range. The only conflict you might see there is a lot of traffic coming out of the W-72 IFR at 3000 ft as we approach the coast, especially if NTU is operating RWY 5, where we will get hooked to the SW of the field at 3000.

Last edited:
Not sure exactly what your route will be, but keep in mind that we (Oceana Hornets) fly in and out of the DARE ranges VFR as the norm. Your POC to find out if the Pam MOAs are hot is Giant Killer South (I only know the UHF freq for them), and Washington Center to see if the Phelps MOA is hot. We use the Pams right down to basically the surface and up to FL altitudes (there is a "PAM low" as well as "PAM high" FYI), as well as the Phelps. There is a small restricted area off stumpy point that has a barge that we bomb, so that will also be something you would need to avoid. Generally speaking, if you fly up the coast at some low VFR altitude, you will probably be clear of it, especially if you stay offshore. We typically transit down to DARE VFR between 10-15k, and come home somewhere between 7-15k. There is normally some maneuvering over the albamerle sound or just NE of there when we do our G-WARM. That all being said, we have a good radar in the nose, so typically if we are co-altitude, we will see you. As long as you hug the coast, you will be nowhere near the W-72/110/120 and the TACTS range. The only conflict you might see there is a lot of traffic coming out of the W-72 IFR at 3000 ft as we approach the coast, especially if NTU is operating RWY 5, where we will get hooked to the SW of the field at 3000.

Excellent information from this and the other posts - looking forward to planning a trip out there this summer and can't wait. Thanks again.

Back