.NBK File

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
Hello,

I have a file...probably a transcript of meeting notes from September 1998 that has a file extension of .NBK. I can't figure out what application I would have used to create this file and I can't figure out what application to use to open it today.

Anyone familiar with the application that would create a .NBK file?

Thanks,

Len

Joe,

Thanks for looking but that is not it....I think it must be some kind of text editor...when I open with Word Pad I can read a line here and there so I know that it is notes from a meeting.

Len

Were you, by chance, using WordPerfect Library (later, Office, both on DOS) at the time? WP had a sort of flat file thing called Notebook. You could save files with any extension, too.

SCCutler said:
Were you, by chance, using WordPerfect Library (later, Office, both on DOS) at the time? WP had a sort of flat file thing called Notebook. You could save files with any extension, too.

I did use Word Perfect but that is the pre-Windows era...version 4.2 and 5.0. I probably migrated to Windows about '94ish if I were to guess and would have been using standard file extensions as well.

Len

I think I figured it out...for awhile I took notes on a device called the Cross Pad...it was made by the Cross Pen people...as you wrote on a pad of 8 1/2 by 11 paper a device under the pad of paper recorded what you wrote electronically as a graphic image based on the signal sent from a radio transmitter in the special pen you had to use. When you turned the page to write on the next sheet of paper you tapped on the paper and the device knew you were starting a new sheet. You could then download the data from the device onto your computer either keeping it as a graphic or by running some text recognition software convert it into a text document. I think this .NBK file must be one of those graphic files.

It was a rather neat device...very good for capturing drawings and such but PDAs came around and they really offered a lot more and captured the potential market for the Cross Pad.

Len

P.S. I found the paper documents from the meeting (so I don't really have to decode the file now) and noticed certain marks on the page which triggered me to remember the Cross Pad device.

ausrere said:
Looks like you figured it out:

Lisa,

Yep. What is really scary is that I still have the paper notes from the meeting and I know where the Cross Pad and radio transmitter pen are.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Lisa,

Yep. What is really scary is that I still have the paper notes from the meeting and I know where the Cross Pad and radio transmitter pen are.

Len

What's even scarier is that I stall have a working IBM 286 PS/1 PC with a 5 1/2 floppy drive with WORKING floppies to go in it. At least the floppies are Chuck Yeager Air Combat ;)

Len Lanetti said:
I think I figured it out...for awhile I took notes on a device called the Cross Pad...it was made by the Cross Pen people...as you wrote on a pad of 8 1/2 by 11 paper a device under the pad of paper recorded what you wrote electronically as a graphic image based on the signal sent from a radio transmitter in the special pen you had to use. When you turned the page to write on the next sheet of paper you tapped on the paper and the device knew you were starting a new sheet. You could then download the data from the device onto your computer either keeping it as a graphic or by running some text recognition software convert it into a text document. I think this .NBK file must be one of those graphic files.

It was a rather neat device...very good for capturing drawings and such but PDAs came around and they really offered a lot more and captured the potential market for the Cross Pad.

Len

P.S. I found the paper documents from the meeting (so I don't really have to decode the file now) and noticed certain marks on the page which triggered me to remember the Cross Pad device.
File Type:NovaBACKUP Backup ScriptDescription:Script that contains a list of commands used for backing up certain files and folders on your hard disk; includes all file and folder selections and backup optionsOpen With:Windows: NovaStor NovaBACKUP

If you have to or want to, this product claims to open >NBK files
http://www.novastor.com/

ausrere said:
What's even scarier is that I stall have a working IBM 286 PS/1 PC with a 5 1/2 floppy drive with WORKING floppies to go in it. At least the floppies are Chuck Yeager Air Combat ;)

Chuck Yeager Ver 1 or Ver 2?

I ran version 1 on an AT&T 8086 (monochrome monitor, 20meg HD, 360K floppy floppy & 640K ram), my first "IBM PC". I had that machine up until just a few years ago. I gave that machine, along with a basement full of other outdated equipment and software, to a AOPA webboarder who refurbished old machines making them useful in various roles for charity.

Actually one of the first things my kids did with a computer was play Chuck Yeager Air Combat on that 8086.

I pulled out the old Cross Pad last night...I'm going to see if I can get the old software installed on my current work PC (it is the machine with oldest version of Windows that I have up and running) and see if the thing still works (well, when I get some free time).

Len

Len Lanetti said:
I gave that machine, along with a basement full of other outdated equipment and software, to a AOPA webboarder who refurbished old machines making them useful in various roles for charity.
Len, does that person still do that?

Len Lanetti said:
Chuck Yeager Ver 1 or Ver 2?

Hmm. I thought there was only one version of Air Combat. I don't see a version number on the floppies anywhere. I had Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight trainer versions 1 and 2 way back when, but I've only ever seen the one version of Air Combat.

I loved Air Combat. It has archaic graphics compared to today's sims, but I loved playing it. Simple jump in and fight game.. no fancy bells and whistles to get confused with.

Lisa,

I must have confused Air Combat with Advanced Flight...anyway it was simple and fun. The only flight game that I liked, the rest were all harder for me than flying the real thing.

Len

Back