Navy mixed manned, unmanned helicopter squadron

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2020906693_apusnavydronesquadron.html

The Navy on Thursday inaugurated its first squadron with both manned and unmanned aircraft amid debate over the military's burgeoning use of drones in warfare.

Military officials launched the effort by reactivating the Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron 35, known as the "Magicians," which served for 19 years before being deactivated in 1992.

The new squadron "points to the future of naval aviation," Vice Admiral David H. Buss, commander of naval air forces, told the crowd attending the ceremony at Naval Air Station North Island on Coronado, near San Diego.

The squadron is expected to have eight manned helicopters and 10 of the Fire Scout MQ-8B, an unmanned helicopter that tracks targets and eventually will be armed, said Cmdr. Christopher S. Hewlett, who is the squadron's commanding officer.

One of my favorite former VFA department heads is now on the Fire Scout staff at VX-23. When I ran into him at the Strike Fighter Ball this last year, he had good things to say about it. This would be a weird dynamic in any squadron, but I think that it could potentially be a good addition to the helo community.

Back