Navigation Log

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
So I went ahead and simplified my navigation log to only include things that I use inflight and here it is. I'd like to see what everyone else uses.

Mine

u2a7ymuh.jpg

Foreflight or a piece of napkin.

So I went ahead and simplified my navigation log to only include things that I use inflight and here it is. I'd like to see what everyone else uses.

Nice. It's a lot easier to find stuff there than on the Dauntless logs.

I'd suggest adding a column for IAS. It's not constant; it's usually different for climb, cruise and descent In a 172, a good choice of indicated speeds at low altitude fields would be 80, 100, and 125. If the air is turbulent, limit to Va for your weight (it's going to be painfully slow solo in a 172), and if at high altitude, a slower indicated climb speed may be necessary.

I don't have a copy handy, but one of the exercises I went through was modifying an Excel spreadsheet to do the unpleasant calculations, especially TAS.

Why do people write all that stuff down when it's already on the chart or plate?

Jepp's format seems the same as OP's, modulo strangely swapped columns.

Here's mine

I didn't make it and I don't know where I got it, but it gets the job done. Sample early training flight is filled in. Edit cells that are yellow, leave the white.

Nice. It's a lot easier to find stuff there than on the Dauntless logs.

I'd suggest adding a column for IAS. It's not constant; it's usually different for climb, cruise and descent In a 172, a good choice of indicated speeds at low altitude fields would be 80, 100, and 125. If the air is turbulent, limit to Va for your weight (it's going to be painfully slow solo in a 172), and if at high altitude, a slower indicated climb speed may be necessary.

I don't have a copy handy, but one of the exercises I went through was modifying an Excel spreadsheet to do the unpleasant calculations, especially TAS.

I like the IAS idea I will add that in. Would TAS be handy? I can't see why you would use it.

Back