Navigating So. Cal. Airspace - Help!

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Yesterday I logged my first flight in almost 40 years...touch and go's at VNY. Question...Wow...even touch and go's generate many tower communications in So. Cal., and even getting a bit too high in the pattern interferes with jets at BUR. I can't image what it will be like to navigate around all the restricted airspace in So. Cal. Other than practicing, what's the best way to do this? Is there something I can read? Training?

Depends on where you want to go. When I lived in SoCal, I flew out of EMT. We used to make a game of how long/far we could fly in the basin without talking to anyone (except the tower at EMT).

Study your terminal chart. Get out and fly. It does look intimidating, but honestly, its not that hard. I've found that the voices on the other end of the radio can be the friendliest folk around, long as you sound like you know what you're doing. ie, know who you are, where you are, and what you want BEFORE you key the mic.

You get used to it pretty quick. Eventually you'll figure out how to get anywhere in the basin without talking to anybody but at the ends. Study the Class B chart and see what altitude you have to be where and build fences using highways and VOR radials as boundary markers. In a couple months you'll know every frequency in the basin anyway.

It's not too hard to figure out. I get flight following just for advisories and usually without asking I get cleared into Brovo. The VFR transition over the top of KLAX is a great tool to get to one sode or the other of the basin.

I instructed in the LA basin years ago. You get used to it and will quickly get the visual navigation cues down. The biggest issue is reduced visibility due to coast fog, smog or afternoon haze flying west.

Yesterday I logged my first flight in almost 40 years...touch and go's at VNY. Question...Wow...even touch and go's generate many tower communications in So. Cal., and even getting a bit too high in the pattern interferes with jets at BUR. I can't image what it will be like to navigate around all the restricted airspace in So. Cal. Other than practicing, what's the best way to do this? Is there something I can read? Training?

Hey, good for you! You got me beat, I took 34 years off. Making up for lost time as best I can :yes:

edit: I see in your other posts you mention 25 years off so I guess I have got you beat. Anyway, good on ya and have fun!

Last edited:
There are quite a few restricted areas in social, but to be honest, if you stay west of the mountains and within civilization, you are going to be ok. Obviously the R2508 complex is a big one to be avoided once you get NE of Los Angeles, as are the various ranges out in eastern socal and western AZ (El Centro, Chocolate Mtns, R2301W/E). That said, there are really straight forward corridors through each of those areas. Fly just north of I-8 and you won't violate anything for a while. If you are trying to get through the 2508, use the Iyokern transition. Or just fly north of the mountains/grapevine. Thats basically where the restricted area ends for all intents and purposes, well north of China Lake and Edwards complexes. There are some MOA's around Lemoore, and certainly some restricted airspace as you pass Reno and get east and over Fallon, but other than that, enjoy. Bust out a sectional, and the landmarks and navaids needed to truly define a legal route should be clear.

Back