National Museum of the USAF

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
I'm sure several of you have visited this museum. Question - how much time should be allotted for a good tour?

There is a lot there, and you could easily do an entire weekend. Do it during the week in the winter and the crowds won't be so bad.

hmmmm.....I didn't believe the husband that it couldn't be done in one day.

I'm sure several of you have visited this museum. Question - how much time should be allotted for a good tour?
We tried to do it in half a day which was not nearly enough.

I did it in a day once, but didn't do the tour of Air Force one jets, and had a cursorial experience.

It will take a couple of days to do the main museum properly.
Another day if they still have the Annex....

There is a lot there, and you could easily do an entire weekend.
...and still not see it all. However, you could do a "good" tour in half a day, but then you'll want to come back to see more. That half-day tour would be about like reading the abstract of a paper -- enough to whet your appetite but not enough to be conversant with the content.

Last edited:
I had two full days, which was barely enough to run from exhibit to exhibit, set up the tripod and snap photos to bring home so I could see if I had a good time. Three days would have been better.

Photo album here.

Thanks for all the advice! Husband can't take extra time off, so we'll postpone. But, a night at the beach seems a reasonable substitute!!! :yesnod:

I had two full days, which was barely enough to run from exhibit to exhibit, set up the tripod and snap photos to bring home so I could see if I had a good time. Three days would have been better.

Photo album here.

Great pics! Thanks for the link. I'd never heard of a Piper PA-48 before, very interesting.

Trapper John

The designer and builder of the Enforcer, David Lindsay, Jr., passed away this past July.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/articl...le=Former-publisher-was-avid-environmentalist#

He also designed, built and was the test pilot of the original prototype of the Enforcer, a close-support plane in combat operations. His prototype is housed at the Air Force's national museum at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio.

More data on the Enforcer:

http://www.crazyhorseap.be/Mustangs/History/CavalierEnforcer/CavalierEnforcer_02.htm#A4

Great pics! Thanks for the link. I'd never heard of a Piper PA-48 before, very interesting.

Trapper John

The designer and builder of the Enforcer, David Lindsay, Jr., passed away this past July.

I think Edgar Schmued had a larger role in the design of the Enforcer than did David Lindsay.

In that case, so did Wilbur and Orville Wright.

The PA-48 commonality with the P-51 was/is less than 10%.

I think Edgar Schmued had a larger role in the design of the Enforcer than did David Lindsay.

In that case, so did Wilbur and Orville Wright.

Okay, Wilbur and Orville Wright and Edgar Schmued had a larger role in the design of the Enforcer than did David Lindsay.

The PA-48 commonality with the P-51 was/is less than 10%.
That's component commonality, not design commonality.

Back