Narco AT-50A Wanted

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
Anyone have a servicable AT-50A sitting around? Mine's in the process of going Tango Uniform and I don't want to replace it with a new unit until I completely redo the panel and center stack the avionics.

I have 2 in my office. They are a piece of **** . Please...spend just a little more and take a quantum leap in quality to a KT-76C
PM me if you want one of these. If you buy a nice one now, it will still work with your new stack. I put a KT-79 in my PA-28 a few years back. That is a nice transponder for the dough.

Last edited:
hmmm...mine had been rock solid for about 6 years and 1000 hours...until last week that is.

I have 2 in my office. They are a piece of **** . Please...spend just a little more and take a quantum leap in quality to a KT-76C
PM me if you want one of these. If you buy a nice one now, it will still work with your new stack. I put a KT-79 in my PA-28 a few years back. That is a nice transponder for the dough.
Or better yet go for a Garmin GTX327 or it's lesser cousin the GTX320. AFaIK both use solid state transmitters and have much better frequency stability than a KT-76x. Used ones can be had for around 1 AMU.
I'd be afraid of buying a used AT-50, given Narco's reputation.

My Narco AT50A (model year circa 1973) broke this past year. I replaced it with the pin-compatible AT165VS. I'm happy with it so far. It isn't much fun to spend money on a transponder, but the price was right (~$1400, and $100 install with new transponder certs).

Switching XPNDR brands will set you back a fair amount because the tray and wiring harnesses will have to be redone by the avionics shop.

I sold the (partially working) AT50A on eBay. There were quite a few on there for $4-500.

I was under the impression that the Garmin 320/327 would use the existing tray of most common XPDRs via an adapter board.

I know we did this on either an AT50 or KT76 which went south -- can't remember which now.

I don't know which transponders this applies to, but maybe worth a call to a friendly avionics shop. I like the Garmin transponder units.

For now, I think I'm going to take Clay up on his generous offer. I'm not one to spare a dime on my airplane but, in this case, I feel that just finding a cheap replacement that "works" is my best short term fix.

First, because I have an autopilot install and centerstack project on my radar screen. I hope to definitely do this within 18 months & plan to do some upgrades then.

Second, with ADS-B potentially looming, I don't want to do anything rash just because "I need it now" instead of thoroughly researching before I move.

Thanks everyone for you feedback.

Last edited:
Back