En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
Test your plane-spotting skills

47b6ce11b3127cce9854a203655800000017108AZtGrRk0as_

Only cheaters use the registry database :p

Ugh. I suck at this.

looks like a vintage bonanza (but a straight tail?) with a turboprop conversion? the original Turbo Mentor perhaps?

Close

but no cigar:no:

tonycondon said:
looks like a vintage bonanza (but a straight tail?) with a turboprop conversion? the original Turbo Mentor perhaps?

Very good!

You've got the piece parts correct.

But what is the assemblage called?

Hint: There are two of these in existence. And a third with a different model fuselage in construction.

(big help, huh...lol)

Pilawt said:
Looks like a Beech model 95 Travel Air twin converted to a single turbine.

-- Pilawt

heh i remove myself from competition, after submitting my guess i looked it up in the registry. i think itll be a miracle if anyone knows it.

Ah, a man of integrity!

Finding oddball planes in flying condition is one of the values of going to fly-ins, imho. I'd never seen this one either until October 21, 2006 at a local EAA gathering that coincided with a Bonanza fly-in.

Ironically, my mechanic sold his RV-8A this past Monday to a gentleman who is involved in the conversions and is working on the third one. They didn't believe I knew what it was...lol. He came with his mechanic and flew the -8A back to North Carolina (another hint) that night.

tonycondon said:
heh i remove myself from competition, after submitting my guess i looked it up in the registry. i think itll be a miracle if anyone knows it.

Beech lightning?

EDIT: Just looked it up on FAA's database.....not even close!

Last edited:
I know this is one of those Travel Airs with the single turbine instead of twin 320's, but beyond that (i.e., mfg, location, model designation) I am without clue.

But it sure looks to me like a competent combination of airplane parts. I'd like one, I think.

I'll name the plane.....

MUSTANG SALLY!:yes:

I ain't wrong! Might not be what anyone else calls it, but you said that I could name it! :rofl::goofy:

Definitely a Turbine Mentor. If not its a Stinson Sentinel.

Extra points to the Prell!!!

Another hint - the name is painted on the tail (yeah, like that helps...;) )

gprellwitz said:
I'll name the plane.....

MUSTANG SALLY!:yes:

I ain't wrong! Might not be what anyone else calls it, but you said that I could name it! :rofl::goofy:

Pilawt said:
Looks like a Beech model 95 Travel Air twin converted to a single turbine.

-- Pilawt

No TravelAir had tip tanks AFaIK.

Steve said:
Extra points to the Prell!!!

Another hint - the name is painted on the tail (yeah, like that helps...;) )
Tormentor? Or YT-34C?

Last edited:
Back