Name this airplane part

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
Back in the 70's a F105 at the Warren Grove range in southern New Jersey (R-5002C, north of KACY, and midway between A-220 and ACY Class C), crashed into a fire tower on Bear Swamp Hill in the Pine Barrens destroying the tower, the aircraft, and of course, the pilot.

The guv'mint found most of the pieces, but missed the nose gear, which I have personally visited. A few days ago, a friend reported that someone had found another piece. I was able to get lat/long and another friend went into the woods and found the piece shown in the pictures below.

My first reaction was that it was a piece of the empennage, possibly horizontal stabilizer, but now I'm not really sure it is.

Any thoughts?

RotaryWingBob said:
Back in the 70's a F105 at the Warren Grove range in southern New Jersey (R-5002C, north of KACY, and midway between A-220 and ACY Class C), crashed into a fire tower on Bear Swamp Hill in the Pine Barrens destroying the tower, the aircraft, and of course, the pilot.

The guv'mint found most of the pieces, but missed the nose gear, which I have personally visited. A few days ago, a friend reported that someone had found another piece. I was able to get lat/long and another friend went into the woods and found the piece shown in the pictures below.

My first reaction was that it was a piece of the empennage, possibly horizontal stabilizer, but now I'm not really sure it is.

Any thoughts?

Looks like a speed brake that would come out of the fuselage, don't recall if the Thuds had those or not.

Actually it had two. Both were located well aft on the fuselage almost at the afterburner and would kinda deploy like a flower petal. I think this might be part of the speed brake assembly but I'll pass the pix along to a friend of mine. He flew the Thud for a long time.

I don't really know what I'm talking about, but it looks like part of a rudder assembly or flap to me.

Back