Name error on medical certificate

U

Unregistered

I'm a student pilot working on my private pilot certificate SEL.

When using medxpress to fill out 8500-8, I must have made an error because the name on my class 3 certificate has the text "N/A" for middle name. I do not have a middle name ;)

I will soon be preparing for a checkride and I must correct the name error (remove the "N/A" from the middle name). How would I go about doing this and any idea on how long this might take? (I assume there is no way of going through the IACRA process until thIs is fixed?).

thanks for any help

Hmmm... I found the following FAQ on IACRA. maybe not the exact situation as mine, but close enogh.

Question: The data on my medical certificate does not match what is in the FAA Airman Registry database, what should I do?

Answer: If it is less than 60 days since the date of issue of your certificate, contact your AME (Aeromedical Examiner) for resolution of this issue. If it is 60 days or more since the date of issue of your certificate, contact the FAA Aerospace Medical Certification Division for resolution of this issue. The contact info is below. Aerospace Medical Certification Division, AAM-300 Federal Aviation Administration Civil Aerospace Medical Institute P.O. Box 25082 Oklahoma City, OK 73125 (405) 954-4821

So I assume I'd have to call Oklahoma City (405) 954-4821 to get the name fixed on the medical certificate . . . (it's been more than 60 days since i've had the medical certificaate)

anyone know how long it might take until i will have a medical certificate with the corrected name?

If it is more than 60 days, send a certified letter with a copy of your birth certificate to AAM 331, PO Box 26200, Oklahoma City, OK 73125 and request a reissuance.

Or you can do as I am doing, I'm reissuing a guardsman on a Friday evening to get it right.

I don't understand the issue. N/A in this case clearly indicates that there is no middle name. It does not indicate your middle name is "N/A".

When I was in the Navy (back in the square-rigged days) those without middle names were required to fill in the blank on the forms with "NMN" for "No Middle Name". They were not all named "Norman"

-Skip

Various places use NMI (no middle initial), NMN (no middle name) or in the OP's case N/A (Not Applicable).

No big deal AFAIK.

Often wondered why they didn't have a place for my Confirmation name though. :D

Cheers

Last edited:
take a deep breath here and ignore the problem since its not really a problem . . . .

take a deep breath here and ignore the problem since its not really a problem . . . .
Well he might want to check with the DPE and find out if HE thinks it is a problem. But easiest to just make the characters in the name box match the character in the new name box, as in pilot FirstName N/A LastName on the pilot certificate.

Well he might want to check with the DPE and find out if HE thinks it is a problem. But easiest to just make the characters in the name box match the character in the new name box, as in pilot FirstName N/A LastName on the pilot certificate.

that too - most DPE's are pretty practical people from the necessity of dealing with the FAA, right Bruce?

If it is more than 60 days, send a certified letter with a copy of your birth certificate to AAM 331, PO Box 26200, Oklahoma City, OK 73125 and request a reissuance.

Or you can do as I am doing, I'm reissuing a guardsman on a Friday evening to get it right.

Thank you Dr Bruce for the info - I noticed the address you provided is different than what I got from IACARA web site on this matter.

(oh, i'm the OP - this time i took the time to log in).

P.S not sure if you recall, but you had helped me a GREAT last year around this time in getting my S.I. (by the way, I have to ask my physician to provide the required material for renewing the SI. I expect this time it would be much easier since things are better).

Last edited:
I don't understand the issue. N/A in this case clearly indicates that there is no middle name. It does not indicate your middle name is "N/A".

When I was in the Navy (back in the square-rigged days) those without middle names were required to fill in the blank on the forms with "NMN" for "No Middle Name". They were not all named "Norman"

-Skip

I also wondered if N/A was going to be an issue, until i noticed that the mailed envelope from Okahoma (that contained the medical certificate) had my name listed as [First Name] N/A [Last Name].

Then I realized that from that point on I had been officially blessed with the middle name "N/A". Other printed material that I got form them also had "N/A" on the middle name, so at some point i should have that corrected.

Thanks for the feedback.

Various places use NMI (no middle initial), NMN (no middle name) or in the OP's case N/A (Not Applicable).

No big deal AFAIK.

Often wondered why they didn't have a place for my Confirmation name though. :D

Cheers

It was about 1 year ago since i filled The MedXpress (for the first time), but as I remember, there was a remark of the effect that "no item shall be left blank". I didn't want to screw anything up (duh) and took the remak litterally and enetered "N/A" for middle name.

Although I'll have this corrected soon, I will speak with the DPE early next week and see what she will advise.

You could simply submit a request for a name change. N/A to _ . Of course, it may come back with your middle name as "Blank".

That was Mel Blanc's original name, btw. :)

You could simply submit a request for a name change. N/A to _ . Of course, it may come back with your middle name as "Blank".

That was Mel Blanc's original name, btw. :)

Oh that's funny. A bit of truth there though, I wonder what it will be next time around (my first and last name surely cannot be comfused with and easy-going "Joe Smith" - it's a bit more "funky" and easy to mess up).

Any update on this issue ?? I have the exact same case except my middle name is "MNM" :) And I remember reading it somewhere too no item left blank so I put "NMN" no middle name now FAA blessed me with new middle name.

Here it is given in instructions to write "NMN" for no middele name for FAA FORM 8710-1 for student pilot .

PASTE:

AIRMAN CERTIFICATE AND/OR RATING APPLICATION
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING FAA FORM 8710-1
I. APPLICATION INFORMATION. Check appropriate blocks(s). Block A. Name. Enter legal name. Use no more than one middle name for record purposes. Do not change the name on subsequent applications unless it is done in accordance with 14 CFR Section 61.25. If you do not have a middle name, enter “NMN”. If you have a middle initial only, indicate “Initial only.” If you are a Jr., or a II, or III, so indicate. If you have an FAA
certificate, the name on the application should be the same as the name on the certificate unless you have had it changed in accordance with 14 CFR Section
Block B. Social Security Number. Optional: See supplemental

In response to my inquiry FAA says "NMN" is correct protocol if anyone don’t have a middle name. Hope this helps others too.

Nothing serious I'm almost certain it is supposed to be there. If you're still concerned about it though give your medical examiner a call and ask him, and if you're still concerned give your checkride examiner a call and ensure "N/A" is proper

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back