Name calling and personal attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerT

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RogerT
A certain poster said to Jeannie .. "I don't believe for a second that you ever considered yourself Republican"

You know .. that same poster said almost those exact same words to me over on AOPA when I stated my frustration at staying a Republican (even
though I still am). That was right before the closing of Soapbox. I gotta
tell you .. I maintained (and still have) a whole bunch of posts that
clearly show a pattern of attacks from this person. (Hint hint)

Why is it that opposite political posters are attacked mercilessly instead
of just discussing the topic?

RT

over 70% of the closed threads in this forum involve the poster you refer to going personal.

'nuff said.

RogerT said:
Why is it that opposite political posters are attacked mercilessly instead of just discussing the topic?
I saw a segment on TV the other day about the polarization of America. Funny, it brought to mind POA and the Spin Zone. :rolleyes:

RogerT said:
Why is it that opposite political posters are attacked mercilessly instead of just discussing the topic?

RT
Because an honest, factual debate requires knowledge, communications, and open-mindness to accept when the facts don't lean your way.

And it's happened on both sides of the aisle, regardless of what anyone thinks. We regularly get complaints from BOTH "liberals" and "conservatives" that the other side is being given more leeway in the rules.

If you feel that a post has violated the Rules of Conduct, feel free to hit the Bad Post link (small triangle that accompanies each post near the poster's name) and report it. Keep in mind, however, that hitting the link for purely personal reasons is NOT grounds for discipline and may backfire on you.

Telling someone that he BELIEVES she "never considered herself a Republican" is not a personal attack in my book. And posting the list that she provided prior to that (a bit of a thread hijack in my personal opinion) opened the debate up to include her own politics.

Take responsibility for what you say and be prepared to be held accountable.

Brian Austin said:
Telling someone that he BELIEVES she "never considered herself a Republican" is not a personal attack in my book. And posting the list that she provided prior to that (a bit of a thread hijack in my personal opinion) opened the debate up to include her own politics.

Take responsibility for what you say and be prepared to be held accountable.
First of all let me apologize for hijacking the thread. That list that I posted was definitely off topic and if I would have thought about it a little longer I probably would not have posted it there.

That list that seems to have Joe so hopping mad was not posted as a troll or to make anyone angry. It's something I ran into lately that I found a bit humorous and I posted it for the sake of a little humor. Obviously not everyone is capable of seeing it for what it was. But, based on recent experience, I figured that it might get negative response. That's why I made the statement that I did about the viciousness that some people show toward those who do not agree with them. And yes, I've seen that far more from Republicans than I have from Democrats.

Your comment about him telling me that he BELIEVES that I "never considered myself to be a Republican” is not, in itself, a personal attack is true enough. But I would say calling me a liar, as he did, and accusing me of posting "hate speech" is something that I do consider a personal attack. But I can also deal with that and take it for what it is.

For the record, I have always considered myself an independent but my past voting record has been far more Republican than Democrat. I have always voted for those who I thought were the most qualified for the office they aspired to and who I thought were what we needed in the particular times we were facing. The Jimmy Carter administration reminded me of an episode of M.A.S.H. where Hawkeye was sitting in Henry Blake's chair and he said, "just think, here I am sitting in the chair from which a thousand indecisions have been launched". I thought Jimmy Carter was a very ineffective President but he has done more for humanity since he left office than anyone I can think of right now. In my book that makes him a great human being and a person we could certainly use a lot more of.

I voted for Ronald Reagan both times, I voted for George Bush senior and I'm ashamed to say I voted for his son the first time around. Personally think junior will go down in history as the worst President we have had, but that's just my opinion and I DO have a right to MY opinion even if it goes against someone else’s. I also declared myself to be a Republican at a time when a party affiliation was a requirement in Michigan in order to vote in the primary. If Joe wants to call me a liar I'll just stand by my voting record.

For the sake of honesty I will also say that I have actually joined the Democratic Party a little over a year ago. I did so because I am tired of the quest for power and unbridled greed I have seen from the Republican’s of late. But more so because of their affiliations with right wing religious organizations that are bent on controlling peoples lives. Personally I don't see them as being much better than the KKK or other religious extremists. I didn't leave the Republican Party, the Republican Party left me. Hey, that sounds familiar!

God gave us all free will; society has the right to protect itself but not to preempt free will. It is the purview of religious groups to teach and spread the word not to exercise control over an individual's free will. An example of recent Republican behavior that really gets to me is the gay bashing that they have engaged in to garner the support of the religious right and to sway independent voters in these tight elections. It seems that sexual minorities are the last vestige of discrimination / persecution. Talk about hate speech! God made all of humanity, even the gay people are his children, he just didn't make as many of them. That does not give the sexual majority the right to persecute them. They deserve and are entitled to the same right to pursue happiness that the constitution is supposed to provide for all of our citizens. But that is also under attack by those who are seeking to write discrimination into the law of our land. That to say the least appalls me.

I am also a former business owner who has felt the burden of taxation. I was put out of business and nearly killed by a teenage drunk driver. I am the founder of a chapter of Mother's Against Drunk Driving and I am vocal about personal responsibility.

Finally, I am a person who is capable of individual, rational thought and I have the ability to feel compassion toward others. I don't know everything and I never claimed that I did. But I am entitled to express my own opinions without being viciously attacked for having them. I am also perfectly capable of discussion on a much more cerebral level.

Sorry for the length of this post!

Jeannie

Last edited:
Maverick said:
That list that seems to have Joe so hopping mad was not posted as a troll or to make anyone angry. It's something I ran into lately that I found a bit humorous and I posted it for the sake of a little humor. Obviously not everyone is capable of seeing it for what it was. But, based on recent experience, I figured that it might get negative response. That's why I made the statement that I did about the viciousness that some people show toward those who do not agree with them. And yes, I've seen that far more from Republicans than I have from Democrats.
I'm sorry but the list has little to do with humor. I wouldn't see it as humorous had it been reversed, either. And it's been floating around on the 'net for years. It's not really all that new.

Maverick said:
Your comment about him telling me that he BELIEVES that I "never considered myself to be a Republican” is not, in itself, a personal attack is true enough. But I would say calling me a liar, as he did, and accusing me of posting "hate speech" is something that I do consider a personal attack. But I can also deal with that and take it for what it is.
"Liar" and "hate speech" are subjective, unfortunately. Quite frankly, I consider the list (again, regardless of where it was pointing politically) to be a form of hate speech. Too much of it was generalization. Just as the extreme left tends to garner media attention, many Republicans/conservatives don't believe as that list indicated.

Maverick said:
Finally, I am a person who is capable of individual, rational thought and I have the ability to feel compassion toward others. I don't know everything and I never claimed that I did. But I am entitled to express my own opinions without being viciously attacked for having them. I am also perfectly capable of discussion on a much more cerebral level.
I don't see the "viciously" attacked. Again, it's a matter of subjectivity. You posted a list condemning the values of a group to extreme examples or summaries. Given the nature of the debate and the persons involved (on all fronts), posting something like that and NOT getting a response would have surprised me more.

And again, the list did nothing to add to the discussion at hand. You posted someone else's list as a representation of your own opinion in a debate that had little to do with it. In essence, you changed the topic from the subject originally posted to, for a short time, your OWN opinions. If you didn't want the responses (which you expected from your own words), you shouldn't have posted it.

Brian Austin said:
And again, the list did nothing to add to the discussion at hand. You posted someone else's list as a representation of your own opinion in a debate that had little to do with it. In essence, you changed the topic from the subject originally posted to, for a short time, your OWN opinions. If you didn't want the responses (which you expected from your own words), you shouldn't have posted it.

I guess my apology for hijacking the thread is not enough. So, I'll refrain from posting anything of a political nature in the future and I guess it would be a good idea for me to completely avoid the Spin Zone. I've seen some pretty adolescent comments made by people engaging in Democrat bashing in other threads. Maybe that's more acceptable than my post. My apologies, it won't happen again.

Jeannie

Maverick said:
I guess my apology for hijacking the thread is not enough. So, I'll refrain from posting anything of a political nature in the future and I guess it would be a good idea for me to completely avoid the Spin Zone. I've seen some pretty adolescent comments made by people engaging in Democrat bashing in other threads. Maybe that's more acceptable than my post. My apologies, it won't happen again.

Jeannie
The apology was fine but the continued effort to justify it pretty much nullified it in my opinion.

As for the political stuff here in Spin Zone: you're welcome to continue to post BUT you have to be able to take the heat for your posts. Everyone does, as you've already seen. Others on both sides of the aisle regularly post and jump into the fray. That's why Spin Zone was created: to offer a place to do this while giving those who didn't a mechanism to ignore it (using the Ignore Forum feature).

It's not pretty or pleasant here, as many can attest to. Quite frankly, I don't even see the point of it all. No one here walks away thinking: hmmm, Joe/Dan/Kent/Dart is right. I think I'll go change my party affliation (sorry, guys, I'm just using examples of each side of the line). In my mind, it's a waste of energy, right up there with Mac vs PC.

People believe what they WANT to believe, not what you tell them.

Brian Austin said:
I'm sorry but the list has little to do with humor. I wouldn't see it as humorous had it been reversed, either.
Obviously humor is in the eye of the beholder. I though it was funny and even though you say it has been around for a while I had never seen it before. I would have probably found the other side humorous too. Obviously there are serious issues but I think the self-righteous on both sides need to lighten up. Heck, I've seen clips of both George Bush and Bill Clinton poking fun at themselves. If they can do it, so can their followers.

Last edited:
Brian Austin said:
The apology was fine but the continued effort to justify it pretty much nullified it in my opinion.
I wasn't trying to justify anything, if that's all you got from what I said..... wow! You're right, this subforum is a complete waste of effort and I'll go set my forum options to ignore it.

Brian Austin said:
.....you have to be able to take the heat for your posts.
I have no problem with that either. I was simply calling the reply for what it was. I was not whining or looking for someone to come rescue me. I'm a big girl and I can take it. I was called a liar and I was responding to that period and for that I will not apologize.

I will not respond to any further comments in this sub forum. I have far better things to do with my time.

Jeannie

Brian,

As a valued member of the Management Council, I'm surprised to see you chasing someone out of a forum like this. :dunno:

Unless there was a "bad post" report we are unaware of (and even if there were, it should have been handled privately), I don't see why you're jumping on this so hard.

Maverick said:

Jeannie

See - it's ok if they call us Racist Terrorist huggers in every thread, or make broad generalizations about us, but if we do anything the same, they get all upset and cry foul.

As I said - 70% of the threads closed in Spin Zone have the same poster at the end of the chain. The same poster involved in legal wranglings on other boards, and the same poster that was instrumental in the demise of the previous unrestricted forum somewhere else...

...but no pattern...no sirree bob.

This thread is continuing downhill.

I"m closing this thread for further consideration by the moderators/management council. After that consideration we may choose to reopen it or limit it.

flyingcheesehead said:
Brian,

As a valued member of the Management Council, I'm surprised to see you chasing someone out of a forum like this. :dunno:

Unless there was a "bad post" report we are unaware of (and even if there were, it should have been handled privately), I don't see why you're jumping on this so hard.
Oddly enough, for all the complaining in here about those posts...there were no Bad Post reports for the posts in question. Keep in mind that a sincere belief that a RoC violation has taken place must precede the Bad Port report. And since I'm involved in this thread, I'm automatically out of the vote for any issues brought up there (yes, we remove ourselves when we're involved).

What "chasing"? I didn't bring this up. I agree that it COULD have been handled privately and I came darn close to simply making the thread disappear. But that's not what we're about. Just about ANY POA policy decision has been openly discussed amongst its members, including the creation of Spin Zone.

Someone else brought it up and I thought that it should be addressed since there were a whole lot of views at that point.

Read the description for The Spin Zone (emphasis mine):

""The Spin Zone" is the forum for discussions that touch on non-aviation related topics of a potentially highly charged nature. Non-aviation related topics on Politics and Religion are automatically "Spin Zone" topics, and other non-aviation related topics may be moved here from Hangar Talk at the discretion of the Pilots of America Staff. The Rules of Conduct apply in full to this forum as they do to all other aspects of Pilots of America. This forum is provided to allow users to "opt out" of non-aviation topics of a charged, sensitive or otherwise potentially volitile nature."

Someone posted something that another considered inflammatory and then got a response in kind. I don't see the issue. I wouldn't have even ADDRESSED this had it not been brought up again because, quite frankly, it's just the things are done in The Spin Zone (although it went into a tailspin later). And if the parties had been reversed, I'd have responded in EXACTLY the same way.

Again, if you can't take heat, stay out of the kitchen. We've had folks leave because they can't play by the rules or can't seem to accept the incoming fire when they're shooting at others. I'm sorry to see them go but the rules are there for everyone.

I am going to re-open this thread now that I have moved it to the Site Feedback and Support forum, which is the proper place to discuss forum policy. I had noticed this thread earlier but was not reading it because it was in the spin zone.

First of all, and let me make this very clear to those of you who have repored this thread after Brian's reply that Brian has made it clear to us that he did not notice that the thread was closed. As a moderator, we have the ability to reply to closed threads. Brian read the thread he quoted and hit the quote button - he never noticed the closed icon.
We (PoA Management) do not use the ability to reply to closed threads as a bully pulpit, this was simply an oversight on his part.

Now let me go back and read this thread in detail...

SJP said:
over 70% of the closed threads in this forum involve the poster you refer to going personal.

'nuff said.

Kinda like you just did. Twice in this thread alone, and as you have in others. 'Nuff said.

Ok - I'm not going to address any individual posts. I'm just going to make a couple of points:

We do not read every thread, especially every thread in the Spin Zone. Usually we only find out about problems in the thread because people let us know using Report Bad Posts, at which time we review the thread as a whole.

Stop the finger pointing this instant. This is not a request. If you have a problem with a user's posts, the proper method of raising the concern is the Report Bad Posts
report.gif
button. You will also stop with references to outside events concerning other users. PoA is an independent entity and for our purposes, we don't care if a user is a self-confessed wife beater on another forum - everyone comes here with a clean slate. We only judge people here based on what they do here. Those of you who can't come to terms with that and want to judge others here based on non-PoA activity are not going to be happy with our response.

Brian is correct that we get complaints from both sides of any argument about how the other side is allowed to say what they like and gets preferential treatment and so forth. To us that means we're doing our job properly. When it comes to discussing politics, if you engage in the discussion, things are going to get heated. If you can't keep the focus on the topic and not on the poster, you don't belong in those discussions. Right now we seem to have a few users who are struggling with that concept. We are not unaware of the fact, but we are also making sure that anyone who wishes to hang himself on our rules can do so with a good long length of rope. Use the report bad posts function and leave it to us, please. We will not thank you for acts of vigilante moderatorship.

I'm off now to find the thread that has become the topic of discussion
here - because like Brian said, NOBODY REPORTED IT. Sometimes we catch things on our own but usually we rely on that button, so please, please, please do not assume that we're aware of a problem post unless YOU have clicked the button *OR* a moderator has stepped in and stated that the thread is under review. (If it IS under review, please do not click the button :) )

Joe Williams said:
Kinda like you just did. Twice in this thread alone, and as you have in others. 'Nuff said.

so thats 3 for me....I got some catching up to do - but hey, whats good for the goose :)

Oh, and I don't believe I have ever called you a Racist, Terrorist Sympathizer, traitor or any of the other labels you like to throw around.

Oh #2 - And I never refered to you by name...so it's not personal - I got that from Chuck the last time I was called a Racist on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't make me pull this thread over and turn it around!

Chuck -

Anthony is on my side of the seat!!!!!

:D

N2212R said:
Chuck -

Anthony is on my side of the seat!!!!!

:D

ED KEEPS TOUCHING ME!!!

Oh, and can we stop at Dairy Queen? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE?

wbarnhill said:
ED KEEPS TOUCHING ME!!!

Oh, and can we stop at Dairy Queen? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE?
I've gotta go to the bathroom!

Greebo said:
I'm off now to find the thread that has become the topic of discussion here - because like Brian said, NOBODY REPORTED IT.

Chuck,

I think that's because there weren't any posts that actually violated the letter of the RoC. I've used the bad post button on the rare occasion that the post is clearly over the line, but that doesn't happen much.

The post(s) in question were, IMO, just an observation of a behavior pattern that toes the line repeatedly and, rather than discuss the issues, discusses the poster in an indirect but not-quite-forbidden manner.

flyingcheesehead said:
I think that's because there weren't any posts that actually violated the letter of the RoC. I've used the bad post button on the rare occasion that the post is clearly over the line, but that doesn't happen much.

I have to agree. The only thing that really bugged was when there was an appearance of abuse MC privileges by Brian. Chuck explained how that could happen.

I hope that MC members have all been cautioned about when they are in these types of discussions to ensure that if a thread is closed to not respond as one of the unwashed masses. Else they be viewed as taking a privilege that other non-MC members do not have to defend themselves.

Should an MC member accidently respond to a closed thread in a non-MC capacity they should at least delete that post until such a time as the thread is reopened or just keep it to themselves if it is not reopened.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back