NAAA]Help with Cooking (Prime Rib)[NAAA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
NAAA= not at all aviation

I have been charged with baking $50 of prime rib for a big party 6pm tomorrow and I have never done it before!
Any suggestions appreciated.

It is two four-pounders, they don't have an excess of fat on them.
I have a meat thermometer, was planning on using the electric kitchen oven and a large metal pan with foil covering.

I am thinking of putting carrots and onions around the meat for the last hour or so.

I probably will shy away from seasonings other than pepper, maybe some salt.

How long to cook?
The meat thermometer says 140F is rare; that's what I want. No one wants it killed (my usual style of cooking).

Shall I cover it for the entire duration except maybe the last 30 mins? A light crust is welcomed.

Is basting part of this?

The success of this party is in your hands.

I've had good results by keeping it simple.

There are two schools of thought, roast it slow then add high heat for a few minutes to give it a crust, or add high heat for a few minutes,then turn it down and then roast it slow.

My normal routine, and by normal I mean once or twice a year, is olive oil, kosher salt, black pepper and garlic. Set it on a rack in a shallow pan, and hit it with 450 for about 10 minutes, then turn down to 250 for about 20 min/lb. I've tried the method of roasting it slow, then hitting with the high heat but I always end up with a kitchen full of smoke as the pan juices and fat start to burn off.

Basting a prime rib isn't necessary, it already has enough fat in it to keep itself moist.

Leave it uncovered in the oven, it's the best way to get some brown on it. Internal temps for prime rib are normally around 120 (rare), 130 (med-rare), 135 (med) - I'll have to verify by looking at my recipe. Once it hits that temp, pull it out, cover and let it rest about 10-15 minutes.

While it rests, you can make gravy or whatever with the drippings.

I'm an animal lover, please don't abuse that roast with vegetables in the pan.

I like my electronic thermometer - plug one end into the meat, the other into the kitchen timer thingy, set the temp you want, and have a drink. It'll beep at you when it's done.

Oh, yeah, the food network (foodtv.com?) probably has the info I'm missing. Most of what I use as reference comes from a beat up copy of The Joy of Cooking.

Good luck and good eating.

Matt

I like slower cooking. I use 180 which will take a long time but will give you very uniform color. I also don't do a crust (but that's just my taste).

If you really gotta do something with vegetables, spray the pan with oil, and lay some thickly sliced onions in the bottom under the meat. You'll be able to make some spectacular pan gravy that way.

I go with the program of cooking at 375-400 (depending on how brown I want the exterior) for one hr, then turn off oven, letting the roast sit in the oven for 2-3 hrs... DO NOT OPEN OVEN during the wait... then 45 minutes before serving, heat oven to 375 and cook for 35-40 more minutes. This should provide you with a nice med rare center, and med ends. Let meat rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.

If using a meat thermometer, remember that the meat will increase 5-10 degrees after removal from the oven. 120 = rare, 130 = med, 140 = well done

Au jus- boil beef base, carrots, onions, celery garlic powder, and worchestershire sauce. Strain and discard vegetables.

IMPORTANT notes...

Be sure the meat is room temp before cooking. With a 4lb roast, 1 hr should suffice (if already thawed)

Cook Fat side up!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER open the oven during the period between roasting segments....

ENJOY! :)

Last edited:
Dave, let me give you the best cooking advice I've got:

Brinig the water to a boil and then pour it over the noodles. The secret is to add the flavor packet last, don't put it on the noodles dry.

Mike

I have great luck rolling out the meat to a very thin slab. I gently marinade it and then carefully thread it between the cylinders. I find the 1&2 run a little cooler so I put the rare to the front and the well done towards the rear. Fly at 3000 ft for 34 minutes and then roll the plane to get the other side.

I haven't done Prime Rib in years, but here's how I did it working at a restaurant:

Carrot slices along the bottom of the pan. Must have, IMHO, because the carrots are so delicious afterwards.

Cook at 250 for 25 minutes per pound (this will result in medium to medium well, not rare, so you may need to slightly adjust this). Once you've gotten where you want the meat, crank the heat up to 450 or so, for about 10-15 minutes. This will give a nice strong crust with just the right amount of flavor.

Now - carrots that were sliced and laying at the bottom of the pan? Once the roast is removed for cutting, remove the carrots and let them dry a bit so they're not soggy. The drippings from the meat, combined with the carrot flavor will make the best gravy ever invented.

I usually wait to cut the meat until just before serving, as it lets the flavor stew a bit, and makes the meat a bit more tender. YMMV here, as this is just a personal tendency.

voila! Enjoy the prime rib.

I haven't done Prime Rib in years, but here's how I did it working at a restaurant:

Carrot slices along the bottom of the pan. Must have, IMHO, because the carrots are so delicious afterwards.

Cook at 250 for 25 minutes per pound (this will result in medium to medium well, not rare, so you may need to slightly adjust this). Once you've gotten where you want the meat, crank the heat up to 450 or so, for about 10-15 minutes. This will give a nice strong crust with just the right amount of flavor.

Now - carrots that were sliced and laying at the bottom of the pan? Once the roast is removed for cutting, remove the carrots and let them dry a bit so they're not soggy. The drippings from the meat, combined with the carrot flavor will make the best gravy ever invented.

I usually wait to cut the meat until just before serving, as it lets the flavor stew a bit, and makes the meat a bit more tender. YMMV here, as this is just a personal tendency.

voila! Enjoy the prime rib.

I vouch for this method.
This is the way we prepared them at a HIGH end Steak House I worked at once . The only difference is, we used a black pepper rub/

I use this method very frequently - it is an amalgam of the method taught at CIA (which my dad taught me) and some updates I've made. Standing Rib Roast is great smoked but I prefer it traditioanlly roasted.

124-8F is the ideal SERVING temp for standing rib roast. Why? This gives you a selection of well done to ultra rare, with the end cuts being a medium-well if normally sliced.

450-500F oven, preheated. Take your roast, wash it in the sink and pat dry. Fresh cracked salt, pepper, and a touch of paprika and cayenne (or chipotle) are all you really need, but a touch of rosemary can be nice.

Rub the meat liberally with your spice rub. If the fat cap is particularlly thick in areas, score it lightly and rub some spice inside.

Place on a rack in a pan and place in your heated oven. 30 minutes, reduce heat to 3250 and work it until the center reads 118F. Out of the oven, out of the pan, onto a cutting board to rest for 30 minutes on the stove top.

Skim off all remaining fat but 2-3tbsp. Add in carrots, parsnips, potatos, beets, whatever you like for a roasted vegetable (celriac [celery root], beets, and parsnips are killer), and add a touch sherry to deglaze the fond from the bottom. Toss the mixture, back into a 400F oven for about 15 minutes to get a good roast on the vegetables. 450F also works, just watch for smoking.

Bring the veggies out, slice the roast AFTER the rest, and serve. The roast will continue to cook on the stovetop, with a final target temp of 126F for mostly rare. Mostly medium-rare, adjust take-out temp to 124F. 130F for medium. Cooking a SRR above 130 should mean people get shot, but if you must, 136F for m-w and 145F for well.

Remember - these are your take out temps. The meat will continue to cook, and juices extruded by the muscles during the cook will be reabsorbed into the meat. Slicing before 30 minutes means you'll lose more juice than you desire.

This is all pretty generic, I know, but this is a great base for a great piece of meat. The SRR can be the ultimate cut, especially when well roasted. A blast of heat, and then low, renders off the flavors best without destroying the texture of the front-side ribs, while allowing the intramuscular fat band to render nicely and permeate the meat with rich, beefy flavor.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Place on a rack in a pan and place in your heated oven. 30 minutes, reduce heat to 3250 and work it until the center reads 118F. Out of the oven, out of the pan, onto a cutting board to rest for 30 minutes on the stove top...
-Andrew

Now that will put a crust on any piece of meat! :eek:

I guess a little Jet A will help obtaining this temp.:D

heh, ask 10 pilots anything and you'll get ten different answers.

I vote we all go down to Dave's and help out!

You didn't specifically say they were boneless or bone-in. One of life's simple pleasures is gnawing on that beef rib, mmmm, let that inner carnivore out!

Here is what I am going to do, based upon readings, suggestions, and most
importantly, limitations of my own capabilities. Tell me if you see any
beef-killers. Sounds like I should start step one about 3.5-4hrs before seating time.

They are in the fridge right now (and were never frozen).
1hr before starting I will put them at room temp.
After the 1hr I will: wash, pat dry, rub with salt pepper and maybe some of:
(garlic paprika cayenne chipotle cardamom rosemary worchestershire ), scoring fat
and rubbing in cracks too, while the oven is preheating to 450.
Then I will put on on a rack, fat side up & cook uncovered 20 mins.

Then I will take out and reduce heat to 325 and return for approximately
20-25min/lb -- this time being limited by the internal temp of 120-125.
(4lbs each roast means 1.5hrs max - and I will not double the time for 2 four-lb
roasts, but consider each separately)
I add veggies for ~ the last 1/2 hr (celery onion carrots)

Remove, cover but don't slice for 30 mins.

...and what time do I ring the doorbell, appetite at the ready?

Don't forget to fly inverted for 30 min.

Only 1 hour and its at 125F already!

Used the 325F oven as suggested above. Turned stove down to 300 at 0:40 as I could see the temp getting up there faster than the data suggested. Now its down to 200F. Thinking of leaving it another 20 mins to get a full 80 mins for the 4.25lbs That will be somewhat shy of the minimum 20mins/lb.

Hmm, I can't figure out how to spell the sound Homer Simpson makes when he starts drooling over doughnuts.

mmmmm, we are in the afterglow of a very, very wonderful dinner party. Everything turned out perfectly despite occasional fits of anxiety. No way could I do this for a living.

The 'problem with the meat' must have been a crummy (albeit brand new) meat thermometer. I need to find a way to test it before I toss it. It was saying 125F very quickly so I made the sacrifice and performed the acid test by opening it up to see what was inside. I knew it was too rare when I poked it with a fork, and it took a swing at me! Obviously too rare. Reminded me more of a surgical field than an entree. So back in the oven for the 25mins/lb and it turned out beeeyoootifully!!

The veggies I did separately in view of the uncertainty... fantastic.

My lemon meringue pie -scratch built from the crust to the top...wOw!

So, thanks all! You guys are great.

best of all.....at least a week of leftovers!

...and I still sit, here at the MRF airport... waiting.

Back