[NA] Wireless router range extension

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I have a WRT54G that has the 7dbi high-gain antenna on it. I am trying to get coverage for 3 wireless cameras in a 250,000 sq ft warehouse. Right now I have the WRT54G mounted very high (above 95% of the product stack height) and I am able to reach a camera that is about 550' away from the router. The signal seems to be coming through OK, but I can tell there is a slight bit of lag every once in a while.

I read about adding a WAP54G as a 'range extender' for the WRT54G. I would mount the WAP54G avout 500' away and as high as the WRT54G to give it close to line-of-sight access. Max distance from the WRT54G would be 1000' with most of the feeds coming from the 500-600' range.

Would adding the WAP54G make enough performance difference to be worth the effort or should I just stick with WRT54G and deal with what I've got?

Is there another wired connection at the other end of the warehouse?

I've had very good luck with multiple access points on different channels covering large areas.

If I don't have an already wired connection, I've used powerline bridges like the Cisco/Linksys PLK300.

Scott has said some cryptic bad things about them but I've found them easy to install, fast and very reliable.

I use those same linksys APs and have not had good luck using them as repeaters but that could be more my ignorance than anything else.

Joe

Is there another wired connection at the other end of the warehouse?

I've had very good luck with multiple access points on different channels covering large areas.

If I don't have an already wired connection, I've used powerline bridges like the Cisco/Linksys PLK300.

Scott has said some cryptic bad things about them but I've found them easy to install, fast and very reliable.

I use those same linksys APs and have not had good luck using them as repeaters but that could be more my ignorance than anything else.

Joe

That's the wrench in the gears on this whole setup - I am creating a separate 'network' just for the wireless cameras. The 'network' only consists as the router (DHCP server), the 3 cameras, and a PC running the monitoring software. We have access points installed throughout the facility for our wireless RF units, but I the cameras don't have enough security settings for me to get them onto our network.

This is the article where I read about using the WAP as a repeater: http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/1NZA81HP757TD

That's the wrench in the gears on this whole setup - I am creating a separate 'network' just for the wireless cameras. The 'network' only consists as the router (DHCP server), the 3 cameras, and a PC running the monitoring software. We have access points installed throughout the facility for our wireless RF units, but I the cameras don't have enough security settings for me to get them onto our network.

This is the article where I read about using the WAP as a repeater: http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/1NZA81HP757TD

I tried that and was disappointed. I had great signal strength from the repeater and it was in a place with OK reception but my laptop work much better when it was put where the repeater was. I'm not sure why. The powerline bridge and the same AP work flawlessly.

The good news is that the WAP works as either a repeater or an access point so no harm in trying the repeater route and doing something else with it if it doesn't work.

Joe

I tried that and was disappointed. I had great signal strength from the repeater and it was in a place with OK reception but my laptop work much better when it was put where the repeater was. I'm not sure why. The powerline bridge and the same AP work flawlessly.

The good news is that the WAP works as either a repeater or an access point so no harm in trying the repeater route and doing something else with it if it doesn't work.

Joe
"Repeaters" work by retransmitting every packet which cuts the available bandwidth in half and more than doubles the chances for collisions. A better but slight more expensive way to use a WAP54 would be as a client router feeding another cheap WAP via ethernet. That way you can put the camera network on a different channel and subnet plus the only the link from the extra router to/from the cameras need be low security.

Most warehouses are easy to wire. Why not run Ethernet instead and be done with it?

Just my $0.02...

-Rich

Most warehouses are easy to wire. Why not run Ethernet instead and be done with it?

Just my $0.02...

-Rich

We can't run Ethernet to the cameras - cost prohibitive and it removes the 'portability' portion of the cameras that I want.

Running Ethernet to a centrally-located access point is a possibility if the wireless doesn't work out easily. I've got one camera running good enough at 550' from the single AP - if I can add another AP and get a little better performance, or at least be able to add two more cameras and not lose any performance, I will be happy. I'm not opposed to running cable, but 'plugging in a couple of access points' blows 'running wire' out of the water as far as ease of setup.

We can't run Ethernet to the cameras - cost prohibitive and it removes the 'portability' portion of the cameras that I want.

Running Ethernet to a centrally-located access point is a possibility if the wireless doesn't work out easily. I've got one camera running good enough at 550' from the single AP - if I can add another AP and get a little better performance, or at least be able to add two more cameras and not lose any performance, I will be happy. I'm not opposed to running cable, but 'plugging in a couple of access points' blows 'running wire' out of the water as far as ease of setup.

Maybe directional antennae on the cameras would help, if they can be attached.

-Rich

Maybe directional antennae on the cameras would help, if they can be attached.

-Rich

Hardwire the wireless access points. Different channels for each one.. have them daisy chained together in series. They are low cost enough, that preventing even one theft in a high value environment should be cost effective (thats how im reading this... loss prevention with portable cameras in a warehouse).. Get a second, third or fourth one, assign IP's to em and plug the distant router/wap into the next distant router/wap, etc.. until they are strung together.

String out a set of wired AP's, easiest thing to rectify the problem. Note: if they're going to be used for security, don't broadcast an SSID (paranoia)

Back