[NA]Wine[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
which is sweeter, a white Ca Muscato or chardonnay?(couldnt find it on google)

It depends, Dave.

Muscat/Moscato is usually sweeter and Chardonnay is usually dryer, BUT I've had sweeter Chard and dryer Muscat. In general, Moscato will be sweeter - it's frequently a dessert wine, and it's the basis of Asti sparkling wine (generally sweeter). There are sweet Chards, too, but not usually as sweet as Muscats.

Were you in a big city, I'd suggest finding a good wine store that will do a tasting for you....

OMG! the muscat is like sweet grape juice!
Its fine, though - we like sweet.
Thanks a bunch.
I have found those two as well Diana - Piesp. is a common inhabitant of my refrig.
For another really sweet wine (can you call them wine if they are that sweet?) Riunite D'Oro

Mmmm, time to sip and dine by the fire!
thanks, y'all

White wine, Bah!

hey - in Canadjia when I lived there, the wines all had a simple numerical grading so the ave. joe like me could pop in and pick out one that fit his palate. Not available here yet?

If you like that Musc, you'll probably like a good German dessert wine called Gewurztraminer. I like reds, too.

Wish I membered', Diana!

Gee Troy I would try that if I could only remember it. Wait, I need to know how to pronounce it first!

White wine, Bah!

I'm with you, generally. But sometimes a white wine is OK (esp. champers/prosecco) especially when matched with food. I just bought a ton of wine (15% off on $200 worth per coupon), 90% of the bottles were red.

I'm with you, generally. But sometimes a white wine is OK (esp. champers/prosecco) especially when matched with food. I just bought a ton of wine (15% off on $200 worth per coupon), 90% of the bottles were red.

I got my Mom to finally like dryer whites (now working on reds...). She loves Prosecco now. At one restaurant in Venice last year, she wanted to order a dessert wine right off the bat (first drink). The waiter wouldn't let her! "no no no no no, only after meal" hahaha. She got a Prosecco.

I've got a bottle of Moscato in the fridge right now chilling. It should be light, fairly sweet, and slightly effervescent. I'm more a fan of dry wine personally, but if you like sweet desert wine, try a Beerenauslese or Trockenbeerenauslese.

While I like a red as much as the next guy, I've been on a white tear lately. In fact, every airline meal I've had hass ben white (save for the CdP that AA was serving) lately. I'll admit I'm looking forward to some Marlborough Blanc and some nice grilled shrimp tomorrow night.

Cheers,

-Andrew

In fact, every airline meal I've had hass ben white

Oh, Andrew, there's your problem. Perfect matching: airline food and white wine :rofl:. Why, I'm only surprised that the airline hadn't stooped to white zin :rolleyes::frown2: (/sarcasm off)

I'll admit to having some (decent) Retsina in Greece last week. And, seriously, I'll drink good white with the right food on occasion. The Chaine group I belong to often does pairing dinners that work out quite well on both red and white.....

I have to admit it- while I do not drink much, as a rule, I find that an agreeable red simply eases my spirits. Because I know next to nothing about wine, I allow my Goddess-like wife, Celia, do the wine investigating and selecting, and she does it quite well.

Most white wines just give me a headache.

Most white wines just give me a headache.

+1

I'm with Bill - Champers, Prosecco, and I do like New Zealand SBs... I won't necessarily turn down a white but it's not a first choice. Now, I do like Sauternes! But that's for sipping...

CX in J had some nice stuff. Burgundy, Barossa Chard, and Bordeaux whites, including a NV Mumm champagne! Senior purser said they were trying out Mumm.

I did have the Barossa cab with my braised pork belly and finished with the 2003 late vintage port, which was a sugar bomb but nice with the cheese and chocolate mousse.

JL's food wasn't bad. CX has been the best of the lot so far. BA was OK (although the "potted derby" was a nightmare of British cooking), and AA was also OK (they had 2005 CdP, and I love CdP).

QF and BA tomorrrow to GRU...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back