[NA]Why doesn't someone steal *my* car?

I had a case like this, except my client was the guy who ended up with the car (a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air). Purchased in good faith, believing that the seller had authority.

And yes, my client got to keep the car.

Yep. I had a 88 Caprice which was stolen, the bad guy swapped plates with his wrecked 88 Caprice and kept renewing them (you don't think anyone actually ever LOOKS at the VIN, do you?).
He put in a rocking stereo, velour interior, a bowling ball paint job (anyone remember those?), spoke wheels, etc.

I stopped him 18 months later for a traffic violation and looked at the VIN, arrested him, and called the owner. No comprehensive insurance so the title was still in his name, he came out and didn't recognize the car. He was happy to take it, but didn't recognize it.
The jerk in the back seat was all kinds of mad, wanting his stereo and wheels and such. I said once it's bolted to the car, it's part of the car and handed the keys to the owner.

When I was broadcasting from WGUY - Bangor, Maine, our #1 DJ "Larry Donovan - King in the Queen City" got a good deal on a 1964 Mustang which was well-equipped. It wasn't a "steal" of a buy but was more than a fair price.

A couple months later "Big Eddy" came to visit. Nothing unusual; Big Ed Gallant was a long time officer with the Bangor Police Dept. and seemed to spend most of his coffee breaks with us in the "Big 'GUY" studios.

"Hey, Larry, come on down stairs; I want to show you something." When they went down to street level Big Eddy motioned to some guy who put a key into the Mustang's lock and proceeded to open the door and then flip the ignition. The unknown man from quite far away had recognized what he believed to be his own car and reported to the police. "Take me to it and I'll quickly prove it's mine." Not only did the door key and ignition key work, but he told Big Eddy to shine his flashlight in a certain place. And there it was: the man's social security # engraved on a small piece of sheet metal and spot-soldered, face in, to a discreet location on the frame. Larry was S-O-L.

HR

If I were her, I'd probably dump the car anyway. Whoever spent the money on it, particularly with 'bullet casing' valve stem caps, might be upset with whoever has the car now...

Back