[NA] Welcome wildlife

Hard to tell with the resolution but a Kingsnake, I presume. A good one to have around. Some of them are quite beautiful.

Red bellied water snake, juvenile. Crawled onto the brick ledge on one of my back doors. About 6” long, for reference. It would be an hors d’ouevre for your king snake!

Hard to tell with the resolution but a Kingsnake, I presume. A good one to have around. Some of them are quite beautiful.

I noticed that you prevented the gross error of using "snake" and "good" in the same sentence ... ;)

@Daleandee I grew up (ex-wife says that is debatable...) on 'da bayou' and my mother lived by the rule that "the only good snake is a dead snake". I felt that way for my childhood and early adulthood until I ran across a rat snake in my shop with the distinct lumps created after swallowing mice. I let it reside where it pleased and no more mice. As far as venomous snakes....some things will never change :) .

This was a few days ago in the yard…my Corgi had it cornered…we call them Water Moccasins but the correct name is Western Cottonmouth…you can see why.

Attachments

• IMG_2681.jpeg
    IMG_2681.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
This is a Red Racer or Coachwhip.
Pink in color
Very fast! He went around the corner of the house me right behind by 5 seconds and he was gone!
I’ve seen them zip up trees way faster than a person can climb.
I’d be happy to have a dozen around, knocking the rodent population down.

@Daleandee I grew up (ex-wife says that is debatable...) on 'da bayou' and my mother lived by the rule that "the only good snake is a dead snake". I felt that way for my childhood and early adulthood until I ran across a rat snake in my shop with the distinct lumps created after swallowing mice. I let it reside where it pleased and no more mice. As far as venomous snakes....some things will never change :) .

Agree ... they are just trying to live too. King snakes can be beneficial as you pointed out.

But even a "good snake" can cause you to hurt yourself if you don't know what kind it is ... :rofl:

We had plenty of Cottonmouths in our neck of the woods. We would pin the heads and swing them by the tail then 'crack the whip'. Only one of us was ever bitten and that was during noodling for catfish in the bank of the friend's farm pond. We certainly were Darwin Award candidates in our youth. The ever present Copperheads got my blood pressure up and made me very vigilant when squirrel hunting early in the season. Those angry little ba$+ards matched the fallen leaves on the forest floor way too well.

I got bit on top of the head 2 years ago by this rat snake who had gotten pinned against the garage door header when I closed it on him unknowingly. I was about as mad as I could be when I realized what just happened. It was the rear garage door which didn't have a garage door opener on it so I was closing it manually. Snake must have crawled up the side trying to get on top of the door. Luckily he was pinned in place so I could go tend to my head wound while the wife gathered up a bucket to toss him into.

d45185baf95e6542df019d41e55cf7fc.jpg

Back